Anyone have any experience with cafepress?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Moe, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Hi gang,

I am considering signing up with cafepress to make T-shirts, mousepads, posters, etc. out of my photoshoped Miatas to offer for sale.

I figure it's free, and that page gets a ton of hits, so it is worth a shot.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever used them and what your impressions of them are? Also are there any competing business like cafepress out there?

Thanks

2. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

No problems here. I tried www.zazzle.com as well.

Zazzle's printing was brighter and the items arrived much faster. However their "Large" t-shirts were seemingly XXXL-wide for some reason, and my wife didn't care for the feel. They have cotton on the inside and another fabric on the outside, which presumably takes ink better hence the bolder colours. This was their "premium" T. I noticed that on a polo shirt, around the logo on the front breast is an outline now it's been washed. Not too pleased with that. It looks like a thread has run out.

CafePress shipped normal sized shirts on regular shirt material. Colours not as bold. Shirt hasn't been through the wash yet :)

I haven't compared prices yet, they seemed similar though I placed different orders so didn't side-by-side them.

I liked both services. Zazzle took 3 or 4 days to arrive. Cafepress' let-down was that they took a couple of weeks. In fact I was about to email them asking where my order was when it finally arrived.

I'd try both services again with different merchandise. I suspect Zazzle's non-premium T-shirts will be like Cafepress', in which case they might be faster and cheaper.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    VERY happy with Cafepress!

Sam

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I use CafePress as well and really haven't had any problems. My friends mom bought a hat and the color was a bit off (i.e. the black was kind of greenish) so she called and they sent her another one (and let her even keep the off color one as well).

They are also pretty quick at getting the stuff to you.

The only real problem I had was the oval stickers. I designed a slightly smaller ring to go inside the sticker and after ordering a handful of stickers, some were not perfect.

The one thing I was VERY happy with was the mousepads. They are very thick and durable. I was expecting the flimsier kind, but was impressed with the actual quality.

5. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Thanks for the response guys.

I did a bunch of reading up on them yesterday and I think I am going to have to problems.

One, my images are far too small and getting the resolution up is going to be quite difficult.

Two, I have a strong feeling I am going to run into lots of copywrite issues considering the subject matter of my pictures.

So it looks like I am out of luck.

Thanks again though.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

The copyright issues aside, the free accounts only allow you to use one image per individual product, so you wouldn't be able to offer (for example) more than one Miata picture for the t-shirt.

7. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I was aware of that, I was just going to rotate the image every month.

The real killer is the resolution needed for the images. Mine are 575X431 and they would need to be about 1000X800.