Anyone have any clue about Three Colors trilogy from Miramax?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug R, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Miramax, not the most punctual DVD releaser, has promised SEs of the Three Colors trilogy for awhile now. Reports were they were supposed to come out last year but as you can see, nope.

Anyone in the know have any info on them?

thanks

Doug

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Miramax doesn't have a clue as to how bad we want these titles, that's for sure! I'd like to see the trilogy released as a boxed set along with the Kieslowski documentary I'm So-so. While we're waiting, I recommend picking up the Three Colors Trilogy scripts collection published by faber & faber. The scripts are interesting to read and include some scenes not included in the movies.

3. Dick Doll

Dick Doll Auditioning

I've been waiting for this for a long time also. It has only been in VHS.(Will not waste money on this format).
    I have noticed in the following link that is has come out in DVD in England and France. I hope that it will follow in Region 1 soon.
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0108394

4. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

There's also some auctions on Ebay for an All-region 3-disc set from Brazil.. claims it isn't a bootleg. Anyone have these? I notice it's listed as 1.33:1.. ugh.

Doug

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Just chiming in as another who eagerly awaits the release of the Three Colours Trilogy.

The last I heard, Miramax was still working on the set (which was the case for a long time).

I gotta believe that we'll see this in Q1 of 2002.

6. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

7. Dick Doll

Dick Doll Auditioning

Brian's quote:

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I have the R2 – UK DVDs of the trilogy and they are very highly recommended. Excellent anamorphic transfers, 5.1 sound, tons of supplements (all subtitled). They are from Artificial Eye, which did a direct port of the French MK2 release, but added English subs. You can order them from numerous UK cyberstores. I got mine from Bensonsworld. If you live in New York, Kim’s Video on St. Marks Pl. has them in stock.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for a similar experience from overpriced-bare-bones-R-us Miramax (Disney).

Ted

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

10. Marc Colella

Ted,

Are these R2 UK DVDs region-coded?

If so, most won't be able to play them on their machines anyways. I'm assuming your DVD player will play DVDs from all regions, correct?

11. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

Marc, I can answer that... yes they are region-encoded.

I'm such a Krzysztof Kieslowski fanatic that I was obsessing over this trilogy. I rented them on laserdisc way back, and was kicking myself for not buying them at the time. Well my solution was to get a region-free player, a Malata N996.

An alternative would be to convert your computer's DVD-ROM drive to region free and watch it that way. Shouldn't be too hard to do...

The 16:9 enhanced image is very good, on all three movies. The only problem with the Malata is that the menus and supplements are progressive signals so the Malata automatically zooms in, cropping the top and bottom, so you will have to manually zoom out. But the main features are fine.

Now I just wish The Double Life of Veronique would come out next.

12. Dick Doll

Dick Doll Auditioning

Jeff

13. Ted Todorov

Marc,
    What Tony said. I have the same Malata (not to mention a multi-standard TV and a RPC-1 DVD-ROM drive, so I'm totally covered). [​IMG]
    I really advocate for everyone who likes stuff beyond the most mainstream of Hollywood movies to get a region free player (the Malata is the current best bet for it’s PAL to NTSC conversion capabilities, but each season seems to bring a new crop of region free players). Don’t be a prisoner of the studios, enjoy the world!
    Ted

14. Marc Colella

Ted,

Unfortunately the Canadian dollar would really make DVD purchases from the UK (not to mention a DVD player) extremely expensive.

Plus, I'd have to have a progressive scan DVD player, because I don't want to sacrifice quality.

Of course if Miramax gets off their ass and release Three Colours anytime soon, I wouldn't have to consider these extreme actions.

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I started a thread in Studio and Manufacturer Feedback concerning the Three Colors Trilogy. I don't know if Miramax will see it, but if you want to see these films on dvd, please post a reply there. Thanks!

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

17. Ted Todorov

18. Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A Stunt Coordinator

Ted, though the EURO is not really in the "dumpster", but rather quite stable at close to 90 cents for 1 Euro, I do have a question for you: [​IMG]
    Do you have ALL the mk2 box sets of the Truffaut films? If so, does the second box, the Antoine Doinel films have subs or NOT?
    Please let me know,
    thank you very much,
    Sebastian.

19. Marc Colella

Thanks for the info Ted.

You've definetely given me something to mull over now.

20. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

There was a beautiful TROIS COLEURS WS LD box set out from Japan a few years ago...French w/ Japaneses subs was the only snag...