anyone have an SVS in a very small room?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chriss M, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I'm going to be cramming an SVS 20-39cs in my 12.5 x 10.5 ft ( ~ 950 cu. ft) room. I've read many posts regarding these subs but i've never come across anyone with a room of this size. Is it possible that the room is too small? Or will this just make it easier to hit higher levels of bass? [​IMG]

2. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

My room is not much larger at 13'x16'x8' (1664 cu. ft) and my SVS 20-39PC fills it quite nicely. With a smaller room it will be easier to hit high levels of bass.

Are your ceilings 8'? If so, your cubic feet is 1050 by my calculation.

3. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

from what i've heard, keep the door open (or crack the window) - you'll be pressurizing the room [​IMG]

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i have a 25-31PC in my dorm room which is pretty small. here's a diagram of the size of my room:
    [​IMG]
    the SVS sits comfortably between the left closet and the wall. perfect size! [​IMG]

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Chris,

It varies, but in my dedicated, sealed HT of only 11.5'x13.5' I sometimes have dual SVS CS-Ultras running.

Just the sort of overkill that means your system is never strained, and always ready for the next nuclear explosion. Real or imagined ;^)

Within reason, there is nearly no such thing as "too much" subwoofer for a room. Too much BAD bass? Sure. But almost never too much CLEAN bass.

Ron

6. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

A dual SVS CS-Ultra in a room that size? Holy sh*t!

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I run a 20-39PC in a room 11'2" x 11'6" [​IMG] I am like a Veal in a box... I blow light bulbs in my bathroom...next room over. [​IMG]

8. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

Chris,
    SVS 20-39.....Where did you score one of those ??? (wink[​IMG]...wink[​IMG]...)
    For the record, my basement Theater Room is only 12 x 14 with a low ceiling and I was running DUAL 20-39’s in there.
    I have a small 6 x 9 room off of one corner where I have my software storage & PC set up.
    About 1,600 cubic feet total of open area.
    Sounded great in there so I don’t think a single SVS in your room is overkill by any stretch.
    But then again, you may not want my advice.
    I’m going from dual CS to dual CS PLUS with 1,000-Watts of Amplification and I don’t consider THAT overkill either.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Shawn S

9. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Good question, Chriss.
    I have a 20-39cs/S700 in this room (11.5 x 12 x 8):
    Check this link.
    It's not too much sub for me. But I've often wondered how it would sound in a larger room... if a larger room would let it open up more.

10. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

haha ok thanks guys. Im not worried about too much bass ( no such thing!), only that the room might have been in some way limiting what the sub can do. But it looks like im all set!

11. Magpile

Magpile Auditioning

The only limitation to a small room is the fact you cannot pile up as many SVS's in the same corner before it overflows out of the corner and into the rest of the area.

If you have a 12x10 room, you could probably squeeze 9 SVS's (3x3) in the same corner before you don't have a room anymore, but if you are in a 24x20 room, you could probably get away with 56 (7x8) SVS's before you don't have a central main area to the room, and with 6x the number of sub in a room 4x the size, the big room definitely wins out.

You might have to get a Krell MRA amp to drive all 56 subs in parallel (112KW into .07 ohm) though, and wire it directly to the distribution box outside by the utility pole.

12. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Whereabouts do you place your Dual SVS ultras in your dedicated hometheater Ron?

Aaron

13. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Aaron,

Because of the tight room and the way I laid it out, they are in opposite corners (shssssh, don't tell Tom V. ;^) behind and to the sides of the rear elevated seating row. From a response standpoint this means the nearfield rear seats do better than the front seats (which are in a massive null). It also means I have to pay close attention to phase control to keep cancellation to a minimum.

Ron

14. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

Chriss: Go for it man! Sound check? I have a 20-39PC in a 1400 square foot room and it sounds great.