Anyone have an M&K sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brandon Pop, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Brandon Pop

Brandon Pop Stunt Coordinator

Most people on this forum have SVS subs, maybe even a few HSU fans, but I was wondering if I am the only M&K guy out here? If you do I'd like to know which model and how you have found it compares with other subs.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I own an M&K Mx90 and I have heard the 5000, the 350THX, Mx200 and the MX100 so I have some experience with them.

Are they a good sub?
    Yes

Have I heard an SVS or HSU?
    Yes I've heard both.

From my listening I'd say that the Mx90 I have is/was equal to the F1500R as far as I could tell. I'm sure the #'s won't bear this out but it's what I heard when I compared them last.

Compared to an SVS setup, The M&K is better to me for music but it can't play the bottom feeder bass parts that some are asking for nowadays. For most people I'd say the M&K line is fantastic. I like my sub alot but there is better out there. Then again I'm having to spend 3x the cost of my M&K to do better so take it for what its worth.

3. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

I have the 5000thx. This sub has serious rumble factor as well as slam. The MK does not have the output levels at 20hz as the two tubes, but it has gripping presense...the sub just roars when it has too; never heard the MK bottom out.

I also have the SVS 16/46 cs+ placed in the opposite corner, a Styke AV12 in a 5cubic sonotube tuned 19 hz and a Titanic MK II in a 3.75cubic sealed enclosure. The Stryke and Titanic are placed on the far side walls. All are great subs.

I also have a Rythmik Audio sub and Hsu VT2 in the other room. I just sold a McIntosh HT2 and JBL PSW 1200. Suffice, I have first hand experience with a variety of subs.

4. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

My local shop carries predominatly M&K, with some Paradigms and others in the mix two.

After having my SVS PB2+ for a few days and then going down to the shop again and seeing those little buggers sitting around the floor with price tags twice as high... well, it didn't improve my impression of the M&K line. Maybe if they weren't so proud of them. I'd rather buy two 2+'s at the cost of one itty biddy M&K.

5. Brent_j

Brent_j Stunt Coordinator

My Father-in-law has a older M&K sub, I dont know the model # off the top of my head but it has 2 12"'s and that thing flat out shakes the entire home. We were watching LOTR:Towers at a very high volume. By the end of the movie Pictures that were upstairs from the theatre and well over 50 feet had come off the walls! on the cone it said "discover deep bass" i think I have..... maybe sometime after both of my Polk 10"s go.

6. Maurice Shapiro

Brandon, over the years I purchased numerous sound systems for my professional business needs. The brand I found to provide the best overall quality were those produced by MK. Because of my satisfaction with them, I chose MK speakers for my personal home use as well.

At present, I am retired and no longer in the business. Nevertheless, I have MK speakers installed in my home for the enjoyment of myself and family. One set of speakers is a part of my primary home theater system located in a media entertainment room. The other set is located in a smaller room configured for use with a computer.

The media room has a matched set of eight MK S-150P THX F-C-S-R speakers and one MK MX-150THX reference standard subwoofer. My office has a set of five MK LCR-55 F-C-R speakers and one MX-70B subwoofer.

Although substantially different in design, size and cost, each subwoofer is an excellent choice for the room in which it is located. The MX150THX subwoofer fills the 30ft X 24ft media room with resonant depth and quality. The smaller MX-70B in a 15ft X 15Ft room is simply superb in a room of this size.

I am pleased with the sound both MK subwoofers produce. The company builds state-of-the-art products at reasonable prices for the quality product one receives. I have no hesitation in recommending their purchase.

7. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I have an older MX-90,It and a Adire Rava are stacked in a rear corner of an approx 19X14 room.This setup does not go as low as some of the big vented subs,but is has pretty good slam,and does pretty good in that size room.The M&K has very nice build quality and is still in nice shape for anolder piece.I am pretty happy with the 2 subs together.

Greg

8. AxelKro

AxelKro Stunt Coordinator

Hi Brandon,

I tried a MX 350 THX over a weekend session to ensure myself that I need a high power Sub.
    I was not too much satiesfied, as it did not give me the ecxpected edge over my little Yamaha Sub when comparing the prices from 500 EUR (Yamaha) to 2400 EUR (M&K).

The M&K did have much more headroom than the Yamaha, sure, but for the normal listening level, the difference was not so big to justify the price increase.

After looking around I then decided on the PB1+ from SVS, whereby I got two units for nearly the same price as one M&K MX 350 and together they sound pretty much better.

As I have not had the chance to test them side by side, a comparison is always very difficult to me.
    But the idea to have two subs has worked out correctly for me, and I could not afford two M&K's anyway.

I do like the "furniture" look of the PB1+ more than the simple "box" look of the M&K too.