Anyone have advice on inexpensive speaker stands?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I'm looking to set up some speakers for the folks, don't want to spend a lot, but want something good. The speakers can accept the single screw mount, four screw mount or just sit on something. I'm looking for four 18"-24" metal stands.

The prices I've seen look like $200 for a set of four 24" stands.

Thanks for any help!

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i know you said metal stands, but if you're willing to take wood stands go check out circuit city.

i bought my stands there for about 40 bucks a pair. they're really sturdy and look decent.

i think the brand is "Chicago"...

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I bought a speaker stand from someone who goes by Rackman on EBay. I just needed one stand and he made me one out of solid oak at a cost of $18-20 if I recall. He will customize the height, base and top plate sizes, and offers a wide choice of stains to choose from. They come with some assemblege required, but this took me less than one minute with a Swiss Army knife. I just wish I still had his email address for you, but he was running a shop on Ebay when I ordered about a month ago. They really look beautiful. The only problem I had was one of stability on the deep carpeting in my bedroom, but this was solved by putting a wider piece of wood under the stand.

4. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

I bought mine at Loew's, for $20 - look for flower table :).

24", sturdy hardwood construction, can be filled with coffe table books - nicely fits into my home.

_zjt

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I usually build my own... some ideas are:

1x12s nailed/screwed together to form 3 or 4 sides, then use any flavor vinyl floor squares to cover....

Tubes made for concrete forms are pretty neat too. Cut to length and paint as desired. This is what I'm currently using for some large bookshelf speakers as mains. I used some 1x3 oak for the feet and set the speakers directly on the top. VERY sturdy. The tubes come in a variety of sizes and make for a very contempory look....

6. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

If you check e-bay, you can find lots of speaker stands. There are several companys that have stores on ebay and you don't have to bid, They have a "buy now" option. I bought 4 28-50" adjstable stands on there for $150, and that includes shipping.
    Go here to see what they have: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ty=MetaEndSort

7. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Thanks everyone, I'll follow up on your suggestions. I flew back home yesterday and will have to find something simple enough for the folks to do, sounds like there were several good choices.