1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Have a Yamaha receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dan Mertz, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Dan Mertz

Dan Mertz Stunt Coordinator

I have a Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver and I'm trying to get it to recognize a Dolby Digital signal when I watch movies on HBO through DirecTV (no, I don't have HDTV but have been told that the premium channels broadcast in DD even without HDTV).

I have a digital optical cable going from my DirecTV box to my receiver, but the receiver still only seems to recognize a 2-channel signal. The Yamaha manual says it "automatically chooses the appropriate decoder and DSP sound field pattern according to the input signal". But if I select any of the movie theater sound settings it just gives me the "70 mm" versions and not the "DGTL" version.

Why won't it recognize a digital signal? Does DirecTV really broadcast premium channels digitally, as I've been told by many people?

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Are you sure the DirecTV box is broadcasting a DD signal. I would think if it is being broadcast, the receiver would recognize it.

3. Dan Mertz

No, I'm not sure if its broadcasting in DD...is there a way I can tell, other than calling them?

Many movies I watch on HBO say "Presntend in high-definition on HBO-HD and with Dolby digital 5.1 sound where available". I don't know if the DD 5.1 part of that statement is refering to the HD channel, or if it applies to the non-HD channel as well.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

According to the manual (no, I don't own either the receiver or a directv box), the display should light up with "dts", "dd digital", or "pcm". These lights are located at the extreme left end of the display. (page 8 of the manual)

If "pcm" is lit, it means one of two things:

1. The directtv program is using mpeg audio, and the box is translating it into PCM.
    2. The directTV box is receiving a dolby digital signal, but is translating into PCM, because of user settings. Maybe your directv box has an audio setup menu?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I agree with Jeremy. Your reciever is only "recognizing a 2 channel signal" because your DirectTV box is only pushing a 2 channel signal.

Go into the setup menu for the DirectTV box and you should see a setting to turn on Dolby or "5.1" surround.

Some terms that mean 2-channel are: "PCM", "Bitstream", "Dolby ProLogic". Make sure you DONT have one of these selected.

6. Bill_Mis

Bill_Mis Stunt Coordinator

Also double check to be sure the optical input you selected on the Yamaha coincides with the input you have selected to view your cable box. Yamaha allows custom mapping of inputs in the setup menu to specific optical and coax inputs so be sure you have them matched correctly. And also be sure that your input is on auto select so that it will look for the digital connection first.

7. Dan Mertz

I was unaware of the DD settings in my DirecTV menu...that was the problem. Thanks.

8. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

DTV puts out a lot of movies and shows that originally had DD but they save bandwidth and don't include DD when they ssend it out. When/if you buy PPV movies you need to look and see if one channel has the DD version, most don't. Ya know, they have 5 or 6 channels of the same PPV but only 1 of these might have DD.

Same thing for movies on HBO and the like, they don't use DD most of the time. Look at the info screen for that show and at best you might get Dolby Surround. This is not DD 5.1, sometimes rarely they do use the DD 5.1

DTV and Dish both send out a digital signal but that doesn't mean we get the full effects. They like to save bandwidth by not including DD 5.1

So even if all of your equipment is set up right if you don't receive DD from DTV you won't have a digital audio signal to feed your AVR.

MikeS.