What's new

Anyone Have a Temperpedic Bed or Other? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My recent surgery has reminded me how hard it can be to get comfortable when laying down. Our friends have a temperpedic. It has the memory foam and is also adjustable, as in the head and foot can be raised and lowered. It cost a bundle. Still, we are considering doing this.

If anyone here has experience with a temperpedic or other brand of adjustable bed, please give us your opinions. Was it worth it? You're happy with it and why? Where did you buy? Recommended buying strategies? Anything that would help us buy the best bed at the best price.

Our neighbors bed is not a split adjustable, any adjustment applies to the whole bed. I think Stacy and I would not like that. I know the mattresses come in varying degrees of firmness, so no matter where we buy (online or b&m) we'll have to go into a store to try it out.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
We have a Temperpedic we bought a year or two ago. It doesn't move or any of that but it is one nice bed. We looked at a lot of options but in the end liked it the best.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Tempur-pedic is the most expensive mass-market bed you can buy. I've slept on them and on other memory foam mattresses and I don't see a need to pay the premium for the name.

Also, bear in mind that you can buy an adjustable base separately from a mattress. You don't have to buy them together. Most mattresses will work with an adjustable base.

Note that some of the new online mattress companies give you a 100-day risk-free trial period. If you don't like the mattress, you don't even have to return it. They just contact a local charity to come take it. I don't recall off the top of my head whether you get a refund or just credit toward a different mattress. People seem pretty happy with them, though, and they are a LOT cheaper than Tempur-pedic.

We're currently sleeping on this: https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovations-Shiloh-Memory-Mattress/dp/B01EAG9X84 and we're pretty happy with it so far. $450 for a queen. It probably won't last as long as a Tempur-Pedic, but it's 1/5 the price of a comparable model.

A few weekends ago, we tried out an adjustable base in a store, just for fun, and my wife LOVED it. We'll see. Have to do some research, though.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Tempur-pedic is the most expensive mass-market bed you can buy. I've slept on them and on other memory foam mattresses and I don't see a need to pay the premium for the name.

Also, bear in mind that you can buy an adjustable base separately from a mattress. You don't have to buy them together. Most mattresses will work with an adjustable base.

Note that some of the new online mattress companies give you a 100-day risk-free trial period. If you don't like the mattress, you don't even have to return it. They just contact a local charity to come take it. I don't recall off the top of my head whether you get a refund or just credit toward a different mattress. People seem pretty happy with them, though, and they are a LOT cheaper than Tempur-pedic.

We're currently sleeping on this: https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovations-Shiloh-Memory-Mattress/dp/B01EAG9X84 and we're pretty happy with it so far. $450 for a queen. It probably won't last as long as a Tempur-Pedic, but it's 1/5 the price of a comparable model.

A few weekends ago, we tried out an adjustable base in a store, just for fun, and my wife LOVED it. We'll see. Have to do some research, though.
Aaron, do you have an links to those online companies? Do they sell both beds and the adjustable bases?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I have one, with the split mattress, and adjustable head and foot. Love it, due to comfort and adjustability. I was fortunate, they had it on clearance, got the bed for about half the cost, and with 4 years of no interest financing.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have one, with the split mattress, and adjustable head and foot. Love it, due to comfort and adjustability. I was fortunate, they had it on clearance, got the bed for about half the cost, and with 4 years of no interest financing.
Please tell me more about this. All the details, please.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife and I went into a MattressFirm store in Little Rock to look at the Temperpedics. We tried out about 3-4 levels of firmness. First one we laid in was so comfortable. The second bed was a little softer and that was my favorite. I tried back and side reclining. I did the side even with head and foot raised and it was still comfortable.

Of course the wife liked the first one better but she liked my favorite enough to go with it. So we ordered a CalKing adjustable bed. Apparently that is an odd size because the adjustable base was going to be two split bases and one mattress. The bases would be synced together so they'd move in unison.

So I thought we've got split bases so let's consider two different mattresses. I read in bed a lot and I think I would enjoy raising the head a lot when I came to bed which wouldn't work well for Stacy (who retires before I do). Combine that with the fact that the split bed would allow to to perfect the adjustment individually, that's what we decided to do. She gets her favorite bed and her own adjustments and so do i.

The salesman was quite informed about the beds he sold and we got a couple of free pillows. He recommended getting a surge protector for the bed. This will be a first, a surge protector for a BED! It will be delivered this coming Thursday. The salesman her never sold a split cal king before. Had we choses a more common configuration which was already in the local warehouse, we could have had it a lot sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks