Anyone have a receiver hooked up to PC for HT audio???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

I just wanted to get some feedback on people using a receiver with their PC for their audio solution. That's what i'm planning to do during the christmas break and I just want to hear some feedback on people who have already done this.

These are the options that i've come up with:

Receiver = Denon 1802, Onkyo 595, Marantz 5200

Fronts = atoms or mini-monitors

Rears = atoms or mini-monitors

Center = cc70,170, or 270

*my soundcard is Audigy Platinum

I'm not to clear on how you're suppose to connect the receiver to your soundcard. Someone told me to connect the corresponding front,rear, center/sub outs of the soundcard to the 5.1 inputs of the receiver. He said it will allow EAX to be available when playing games. It should be the best configuration for games but what about for music? 80% of the time i'll probably be listening to music so should i use the optical or spdif connections for thaT??

thanks.

2. Chris_W

Chris_W Extra

Right now I have me Onkyo 575x hooked up to my computer (it has the live 5.1). Right now I have the s-pdif out on the soundcard hooked up to digital in on the reciever. I did this mostly because I was always told it would give a cleaner sound. Like you've already heard, the downside is definately with games. Using the digital out you're limited to only two channels of audio, which seems rediculous when we're spending all this money on sound cards that do surround sound (hopefully there will be something for the PC soon, like the X-box that outputs Dolby Dig.) I was actually thinking about doing a test during winter break to see if I can actually tell a difference using the digital out or not. The plus side of going analog is with games and also I'm somewhat interested in the Pro Logic 2 that PowerDVD has now. Anyway...

To make a long answer short, you might want to try it yourself, but if you get a reciever that already has DPL2 and you don't game much the digital way would probably be the best.

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

if my exams go well, i'll probably have this HTPC setup ready by early january. I'll post some pics and give you guys some feedback when i finish it. In the meantime, keep us posted on the analog/digital comparison.

thanks

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I have mine hooked up to my 2802 with a stereo mini jack to rca cable from a live 5.1. But I just use it for music and not games so surround isn't important for me.