What's new

Anyone have a new Toyota Solara? (1 Viewer)

DarrinH

Second Unit
I am seriously looking at one of these.
What are the likes and dislikes for those that own now?

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I have a '99 Solara SLE, got it the first year it came out. I still drive it -- I have about 155,000 miles on it, and have had no problems under the hood (knock on wood!). The only things I've had go wrong are the hazard light switch inside that broke, and the driver's side door that came very slightly unhinged such that the metal at the swing point rubs a bit when the door is opened or closed. I've been rear-ended three times (all three times not my fault) -- at low speeds, thank goodness -- and in every case the rear bumper and impact-absorption panels absorbed almost all of the energy and did no damage to the frame; I had to replace the muffler from one of the accidents, but nothing else beyond the bumper/absorption-panels.

After almost 4 years in it, I've found very little to dislike. I bought the car for its quick acceleration and its low maintenance, and it continues to live up to it. I've gone through only one set of brakes in the front; the rear brakes are still original. I change the oil every 5000-ish miles with synthetic oil, but I'll probably be upping the frequency to the recommended 3500 now that it's getting older. And I do the usual 6-month/1-year/2-year maintenance things. Hopefully I will get a good 7-8 years out of it before it starts nickeling and diming me. About the only thing I get irritated with is tire replacements, due to the 16" rims and V-rated tires. Living in Jersey I've gone through at least 4 sets of tires (potholes galore) -- but with 150k miles I'm not too disappointed.

Toyotas are awesome vehicles as far as maintenance goes; although I intend to keep my Solara for at least 2-3 more years, when I get a new car, it'll probably be another Toyota.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I think thats the new one he is talking about (the 2004 i mean)

One nifty lookin car. The front reminds me of the lexus ES300 (i guess coz its just a rebaged Camry), and the rear reminds me of the SC430...

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I bought my first car about three months ago (after driving my dads truck for a few years) and it is a 1997 Camry V6 5-speed. I love it. 75k on the clicker and it is very sound.

The front passenger side window isn't working, but I bet it will after I clean the contacts.

Remember:

Interior/trim = easy, cheap, non-critical
Drivetrain/mechanical systems = no DIY, expensive, critical.

I love cars, but I will spend money of HT right now, as I don't want to dump all my money into something that I could loose in a heartbean (crash, stolen, etc.) and not have any control over. Also, a receiver isn't going to blow a $2,000 engine or $1,500 tranny - worse case, if a audio comppnent dies, I do without or use a older component. My car is my tool to get me to work, and my HT is NOT. When I get out of college, I want either a Z06 (C6) or a new 911, but a 350Z or the like is more realistic. Just ranting.

DarrinH

Second Unit
Yep thats what I am talking about the 2004.
I am trying to get the base model SE with no extras but it sounds like I will have to order it.
So far my lowest offer by a dealership is 20,750 which is 931 dollars over invoice.
It will take me 5 weeks to get the car.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
ARRGGGHHH!!! Why no manual with the V6? What the hell is wrong with these people?

Toyota has lost touch I think. I miss my 78 Celica. Fun car. They need to a. fix the Celica, b. bring some real horsepower to the table, like make a very fast Corolla. It seems like the Solara is more like the Celica of old than the Celica is now.
Nissan is going to kick their ass if they don't get back in the game; it seems as if their model structure needs a rehaul; What is the celica supposed to be now, and what is the Corolla supposed to be; Where are the 2 door Corollas? Where are the station wagons?
And where's the Supra?

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
As far as I'm concerned, Toyota is already behind with their engine power... If they want to compete with Nissan's 3.5L V6, they're gonna have to increase displacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks