What's new

Anyone have a Navigator? (1 Viewer)

Mike Huay

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking of buying a used 99 or 00. I may need a vehicle that can take me through the worst of roads.

How have any owners here found the reliability and ownership experience?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
A Lincoln Navigator? I don't know if I'd go off road with one of those. It's a luxury version of the Ford Expedition. For off-roading I'd go with something more rugged and less cushy, say a Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee or something like that.
Taking a Navigator off road is a little like drag racing in a Lincoln Town Car. :)
KJP

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Funny, I was reading a few reviews about the 2000 Navigator the other week. I don't have one myself though. If you do a search on google ("lincoln navigator" and "off-road" was what I used) or go to automotive.com you'll find reviews.

Basically, the reviews didn't talk very much about off-road performance. What I could gather was that the consensus seemed to be that it's a luxury car that can be taken off-road if the conditions aren't too severe. It's simply too big to be an effective off-road vehicle, but it's adequate if the terrain isn't too rocky. Since you don't seem to actually want to take it off-road, it should be fine. The main complaints in the reviews, both by owners and professional reviewers, were that it's just too big to handle efficiently in city traffic, and the gas mileage is poor (12MPH city). Otherwise they all seemed to love the luxury and comfort.

/Mike

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Mike, if your going off-road the Navigator is not for you. Something more along the lines of a Grand Cherokee would be better off-road even though it has questionable reliability overall.

We drive our 96 Explorer AWD on logging roads and I don't find its grip that great even with good off-road tires and its built similarly to the Navigator for primarly on road use.

Patrick

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
He didn't say offroad but worst of roads. The Navigator with its fancy smancy luxury chasis which is designed to make the ride smooth should be a big help. But if it's really horrible road conditions the 3-ton weight of the Nav won't help. Something less luxurious like a Bravada or Jimmy might be better suited.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Okay, if your talking about bad on-road conditions then look at a MDX. The LandCruiser is nice but really big but then again so is the Navigator. A used Expedition would be good too.

Patrick

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
There is an excellent Ford Expedition mailing list that can be accessed at Link Removed You can post about either Expeditions or Navigators there.
One thing to keep in mind with the Navigator vs Expedition is that while the Navigator has about 60-75 more horse power than the Expedition, it also requires premium gas. That can add up quick at 12mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks