Anyone have a home solar system? Tell me about it!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip Hamm, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey tell me about your home Photovoltaic and or water heater system. I saw a presentation about solar energy the other day and I was very impressed. Sure it's expensive, but over the years it's cheaper than paying the utilities! If you plan on being in your home for 10 years or more, you can take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for the Solar system, your monthly payment replaces (for the most part) your utility bill, and eventually just goes away! Very compelling.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey tell me about your home Photovoltaic and or water heater system. I saw a presentation about solar energy the other day and I was very impressed. Sure it's expensive, but over the years it's cheaper than paying the utilities! If you plan on being in your home for 10 years or more, you can take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for the Solar system, your monthly payment replaces (for the most part) your utility bill, and eventually just goes away! Very compelling.

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

My house has solar hot water with a regular hot water tank for backup.

Right now, with the temperature being above 100 in Vegas, I am getting 140f - 160F hot water pretty much for free, except for the power to run the pump for the hot water circulation system. It's fantastic, but you end up with a maze of copper piping. I haven't lived in the house long enough to know anything about the reliability and I'm moving to Seattle in 2 months, so I can't really give you any other information other than it works extremely well.

You can see in this pic, my water heater, holding tank, soft water loop and the controller for the solar at the top of the pic. (Brown box on water heater is a speaker).

[​IMG]

Here, you can see one of my solar panels on the deck over my garage. There are two of these up there.

[​IMG]

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

My house has solar hot water with a regular hot water tank for backup.

Right now, with the temperature being above 100 in Vegas, I am getting 140f - 160F hot water pretty much for free, except for the power to run the pump for the hot water circulation system. It's fantastic, but you end up with a maze of copper piping. I haven't lived in the house long enough to know anything about the reliability and I'm moving to Seattle in 2 months, so I can't really give you any other information other than it works extremely well.

You can see in this pic, my water heater, holding tank, soft water loop and the controller for the solar at the top of the pic. (Brown box on water heater is a speaker).

[​IMG]

Here, you can see one of my solar panels on the deck over my garage. There are two of these up there.

[​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

friggin' cool!!!! If you don't mind, and if you know, how much would one pay for a simple hot water system like this? Does the conventional backup water heater constantly run filled with hit water?

From what I heard at the presentation, ambient temperature has less effect than you would think on PV and hot water systems. The presenter mentioned that he only had two months of the year (in the DC area) when he used significant amounts of "backup" hot water.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

friggin' cool!!!! If you don't mind, and if you know, how much would one pay for a simple hot water system like this? Does the conventional backup water heater constantly run filled with hit water?

From what I heard at the presentation, ambient temperature has less effect than you would think on PV and hot water systems. The presenter mentioned that he only had two months of the year (in the DC area) when he used significant amounts of "backup" hot water.

7. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Sorry, I don't know how much this all cost. It was already in my home when I bought it.

I really can't help you in regards to how much the hot water heater is being used. I've only lived in the house for 2 months and it's been pretty sunny here the whole time. There's no reason for my hot water heater to turn on during the day and noone really uses hot water in my house past dinner time.

All I can tell you is that the water is super-hot and with the hot water circulation system, it comes out of the faucet almost instantly. The hot water is always steamy and it will burn you if you aren't careful.

8. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Sorry, I don't know how much this all cost. It was already in my home when I bought it.

I really can't help you in regards to how much the hot water heater is being used. I've only lived in the house for 2 months and it's been pretty sunny here the whole time. There's no reason for my hot water heater to turn on during the day and noone really uses hot water in my house past dinner time.

All I can tell you is that the water is super-hot and with the hot water circulation system, it comes out of the faucet almost instantly. The hot water is always steamy and it will burn you if you aren't careful.

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Phil- This might be a good place to do some more research:

http://www.realgoods.com/

We bought a solar powered attic fan from them a few years back, thing has worked like a charm from day one!

Shawn - So I see that with the solar water system, you also got a free gremlin to maintain it? (or more likely break it...) [​IMG]

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Phil- This might be a good place to do some more research:

http://www.realgoods.com/

We bought a solar powered attic fan from them a few years back, thing has worked like a charm from day one!

Shawn - So I see that with the solar water system, you also got a free gremlin to maintain it? (or more likely break it...) [​IMG]

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Uh, I do have a home solar system and I hope it's the same as everyone else - The Milky Way![​IMG]

Sorry, I just had to do it.:b

12. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Uh, I do have a home solar system and I hope it's the same as everyone else - The Milky Way![​IMG]

Sorry, I just had to do it.:b

13. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Er, Jeff, you may want to look up "galaxy" and "solar system" when you have some spare time.

I'm afraid if I told you about my home solar system, I'd have to kill you.

Regards,

Joe
    Roswell, NM

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Er, Jeff, you may want to look up "galaxy" and "solar system" when you have some spare time.

I'm afraid if I told you about my home solar system, I'd have to kill you.

Regards,

Joe
    Roswell, NM

15. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

You're taking this "surround sound" concept a little too far.....

16. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

You're taking this "surround sound" concept a little too far.....

17. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i've always toyed with the idea of getting a pv cell and doing a grid intertie with my electrical system to offset the constant powering of my computer(s). i have one on all the time, and i may build a new one within a year, so this one will be sitting idle, unless i keep it on 365 days a year running prime95. it seems power is much cheaper out of the outlet, i think we pay under $0.10/kW. for pv cells to really take off, there has to be a financial advantage to using it, and the costs are only going to gradually decrease.

CJ

18. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i've always toyed with the idea of getting a pv cell and doing a grid intertie with my electrical system to offset the constant powering of my computer(s). i have one on all the time, and i may build a new one within a year, so this one will be sitting idle, unless i keep it on 365 days a year running prime95. it seems power is much cheaper out of the outlet, i think we pay under $0.10/kW. for pv cells to really take off, there has to be a financial advantage to using it, and the costs are only going to gradually decrease.

CJ

19. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    thinking of solar power? consider the DANGERS!
    (dry humor disclaimer)

CJ

20. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    thinking of solar power? consider the DANGERS!
    (dry humor disclaimer)

CJ