1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone have a Harmon 325? I need remote help with sound calibration.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dustin Wind, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I'm doing my sound calibration with video essentials.....but i cannot change the speaker DB's with the remote while being on the DvD input (colorstream 1)

I can go into my OSD and change the speaker DB's, but then i'm not on my DvD input anymore......so i can't hear the test tones from video essentials.

So basically i have a sound pressure meter, and i do a test tone then i need to stand up and go over to the receiver, and change it 1 DB at a time....then go sit down, mesaure the sound, stand back up, ETC. Its awfull.

How can i change the speaker DB's with the remote while watching a DvD?

Thanks all

Sorry if this post sounds confusing from my writting [​IMG]

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Dustin,

It sounds like you have discovered an issue that I could face when setting up my AVR-7200. I did it initially by "ear" and followed some settings that I used previously with my former receiver.

However, have you tried the following:

1) Have your monitor out cable going to one video input on your TV.

2) Have your DVD player connected to another video input on your TV.

3) Then, with the remote for your TV, bounce from the DVD to the OSD screen to make the adjustments.

Hopefully, this will work for you. If you just change the video input between the DVD to the OSD for your receiver, it should not interrupt the test tones. Also, this activity sounds like you might want to recruit the assistance of a friend to hold the TV remote and bounce between the Video inputs on the TV while you work the remote with the sound meter and make the adjustments to the receiver.

Also, you might want to try the "EzSet" option to get the settings closer. Then, you can fine-tune it with your DVD/video/Audio tune-up disc.

Best of luck !!

3. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Dustin,

I have a 325 and just calibrated my unit with Video Essentials a couple weeks ago. You don't need to use OSD, just the remote.

In the middle of the remote there is the circular ring (yeah, I know that's redundant) with the "set" button in the center. To the upper left of the circle is the CH button. Hit it once and FRONT L LEVEL will appear on the main display. If you then push the SET button, you can adjust the volume of that speaker by holding down the up or down arrow on the ring. Once you have the level to where you want it, hit the SET button again.

1. Hit CH button
    2. Use the UP/DOWN arrows on the ring to toggle thru the speakers. Goes from FRONT L, CENTER, FRONT R, SURROUND R ,SURROUND L and SUBWOOFER. Down arrow reverses the order. If you use 7 speakers the SURROUND BACK R & L will display. But VE doesn't test for 7 speakers.
    3. While VE is sending the signal for your speaker, adjust the sound level by using the up/down arrows on the ring. Then press SET.
    4. Press the up/down button on the ring to go to the next speaker, press SET to select the speaker and then up/down to adjust levels. Hit SET again then up arrow for next speaker.
    5. Repeat until you have calibrated all your speakers.

You should practice going thru the speakers and levels to get handy with the remote. Once you're comfortable then run the VE test. You may have to repeat a couple times because the tones don't last forever.

Also VE signals goes from FL,C, FR, SL, SR, SUB. HK displays SR before SL. Make sure you notice that when making adjustments.

I had the DVD remote, Radio Shack SPL meter and HK remote in front of me while doing the test. It's a little tricky but once you get used to it, it goes pretty smoothly. If you've programmed the HK remote for your DVD player I still used the original DVD remote so I wouldn't confuse myself because the speaker settings only work after the AVR button has been selected.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

4. Jay Blanchard

What Greg posted is exactly how I calibrated my AVR 525. It's actually quite a pain in the ass thanks to the timeout for the settings. You adjust the dB a little bit, stop and look at your meter, and by the time the weighting has stabilized the needle, the dB display has reset itself to the main screen. Now that I think about it, there was a setting in the OSD for mini-OSD delay... that might increase the timeout that I had problems with.

Another pet peeve I have is that the OSD doesn't work with component video out. Now I need to buy another cable just for that.. bah.