What's new

Anyone have a good site to buy computers and/or parts or selling youself? (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
Any suggestions on a good site that sells custom built computers or sells pretty cheap parts? Or are you selling parts yourself? Let me know. Thanks.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I've had really good luck with service and prices from www.newegg.com

But I'm not as into the scene as some here. I just bought enough parts to build a game monster for myself. Someone in the industry might have a better idea than I of what's out there.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I've heard that Fry's Electronics is a good outlet for computers and parts. They carry alot of other products too.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I look out for some bargains or just odds and ends I need from the forums at Anandtech or Link Removed. Every transaction I've been in has been successful and no complaints, there's also sites like Heatware and Beerology to see some unofficial ratings from other people they've dealt with. Ebay really gets to be a pain once you've been there long enough.

But for new stuff I use the king, Newegg. :) If they happen to be out of stock there's Directron and Googlegear, and Pricewatch for best prices.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
In addition to newegg, bunta.com ebay, and buy.com I check out pricewatch.com.

Then, after finding a potential retailer off pricewatch, I head over to resellerratings.com to see what everyone thinks about said company. A lot of the cheapest retailers on pricewatch are terrible, have incredibly high shipping, etc. Resellerratings lets me weed through the bad ones so in the end I get a decent retailer that has decent prices.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I'm a big fan of mwave.com. They usually aren't the cheapest (via Pricewatch), but they are never much more than the fly-by-night Pricewatch queens. They've been around for a long time, and they always ship the right stuff quickly.

I've only dealt with Newegg once, and they really weren't worth the hassle IMHO. I find their site extremely hard to navigate and find the parts I want.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I've only dealt with Newegg once, and they really weren't worth the hassle IMHO. I find their site extremely hard to navigate and find the parts I want.
I must say that is a rather surprising comment. You can browse by category or brand name at Newegg. Doesn't get much more straight forward than that.

JoshuaIan

Auditioning
Newegg is an excellent choice. Nice prices, reasonable shipping, reliable. My personal recommendation!

You have to be careful with what you are looking at on pricewatch. Comapanies list a lot of OEM stuff, and a lot of the stores that have cheap prices charge outrageous shipping. But still, Pricewatch is a great place to get some good prices.

In terms of used products, go to a good computer forum such as Ars as mentioned before, or even hardforum.com

EBay can be good, u can find some good deals on their from people who don't know what they are selling. But of course it is EBay, and everyone knows you've gotta be careful.

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Newegg gets a big :emoji_thumbsup:

Order one day and have it the next. Of course living a couple of hours from them might have something to do with that :).

Wade

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
pricewatch!
it's MUCH better now that they list end prices, item plus shipping price. Keeps people honest :)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I've dealt with newegg once or twice and had good luck with them. Their prices are always competitive and they got a great selection. I also really like www.mwave.com. I've dealt with them for a few years, I think my first order from them was an AMD 486DX4.

The only problems with places like this, and I've run into it with mwave, is that sometimes returning things is a problem. Specifically I ordered a MB and athlon, and when they arrived I had a hard time getting them to work. I assumed it was a problem with one of those, turned out it was my power supply. I had to pay for the return shipping, and it took several days before they tested it and sent it back to me. I haven't dealt with defective stuff yet, so be sure and check out all their return policies. If you're unsure about some components working together, you may be better off buying locally.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
If you're unsure about some components working together, you may be better off buying locally.
I completely agree. Its also nice to have another computer that you can swap known-good parts from to try and isolate a problem. See if someone you know has one in a closet (or use your main one if you have to). If you know someone who has built a PC from scratch before, keep their number handy. Lots of times another set of eyes (and brain) can get to the bottom of a PC problem when you're stumped.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Newegg is ok if you're just going after a specific part, but if you want some idea of compatibility, I find that MWave is a little more helpful.
Yeah, I usually know the component and brand I want when I get to the point of actually making the purchase. I built a new PC about 4 months ago and I'd say at least half of the parts came from New Egg. But I had already done my homework at the Anandtech forums and knew exactly what I was going to buy (i.e. brand and component along with all compatibility info).

KyleS

Screenwriter
Link Removed
www.newegg.com

are probably your two best absolutely reliable companies for people that are not resellers to order parts through. As a matter of fact for quite a few parts that they sell they are almost right at wholesale parts. You can use www.pricewatch.com and reference them with reseller ratings but it can still be hit/miss. I can say that for most computer parts I have found that Mwave will be cheaper on most parts then newegg too. Newegg however has a few more parts especially when it comes to any type of modifications (Cases, memory, video cards, etc).

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks