Anyone have a good site to buy computers and/or parts or selling youself?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Any suggestions on a good site that sells custom built computers or sells pretty cheap parts? Or are you selling parts yourself? Let me know. Thanks.

2. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

I've had really good luck with service and prices from www.newegg.com

But I'm not as into the scene as some here. I just bought enough parts to build a game monster for myself. Someone in the industry might have a better idea than I of what's out there.

3. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

EBAY ... the one and only [​IMG]

4. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

www.newegg.com is my site of choice for buying computer parts. Great prices and extremely fast shipping. I haven't had any problems yet.

5. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I've heard that Fry's Electronics is a good outlet for computers and parts. They carry alot of other products too.

6. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I look out for some bargains or just odds and ends I need from the forums at Anandtech or Arstechnica. Every transaction I've been in has been successful and no complaints, there's also sites like Heatware and Beerology to see some unofficial ratings from other people they've dealt with. Ebay really gets to be a pain once you've been there long enough.

But for new stuff I use the king, Newegg. [​IMG] If they happen to be out of stock there's Directron and Googlegear, and Pricewatch for best prices.

8. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

In addition to newegg, bunta.com, ebay, and buy.com, I check out pricewatch.com.

Then, after finding a potential retailer off pricewatch, I head over to resellerratings.com to see what everyone thinks about said company. A lot of the cheapest retailers on pricewatch are terrible, have incredibly high shipping, etc. Resellerratings lets me weed through the bad ones so in the end I get a decent retailer that has decent prices.

9. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'm a big fan of mwave.com. They usually aren't the cheapest (via Pricewatch), but they are never much more than the fly-by-night Pricewatch queens. They've been around for a long time, and they always ship the right stuff quickly.

I've only dealt with Newegg once, and they really weren't worth the hassle IMHO. I find their site extremely hard to navigate and find the parts I want.

10. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

11. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

12. JoshuaIan

JoshuaIan Auditioning

Newegg is an excellent choice. Nice prices, reasonable shipping, reliable. My personal recommendation!

You have to be careful with what you are looking at on pricewatch. Comapanies list a lot of OEM stuff, and a lot of the stores that have cheap prices charge outrageous shipping. But still, Pricewatch is a great place to get some good prices.

In terms of used products, go to a good computer forum such as Ars as mentioned before, or even hardforum.com

EBay can be good, u can find some good deals on their from people who don't know what they are selling. But of course it is EBay, and everyone knows you've gotta be careful.

13. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

Newegg gets a big [​IMG]

Order one day and have it the next. Of course living a couple of hours from them might have something to do with that [​IMG].

Wade

14. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I'll try out newegg and pricewatch, which a friend recommened. Thanks everyone.

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

pricewatch!
    it's MUCH better now that they list end prices, item plus shipping price. Keeps people honest [​IMG]

16. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've dealt with newegg once or twice and had good luck with them. Their prices are always competitive and they got a great selection. I also really like www.mwave.com. I've dealt with them for a few years, I think my first order from them was an AMD 486DX4.

The only problems with places like this, and I've run into it with mwave, is that sometimes returning things is a problem. Specifically I ordered a MB and athlon, and when they arrived I had a hard time getting them to work. I assumed it was a problem with one of those, turned out it was my power supply. I had to pay for the return shipping, and it took several days before they tested it and sent it back to me. I haven't dealt with defective stuff yet, so be sure and check out all their return policies. If you're unsure about some components working together, you may be better off buying locally.

17. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

18. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

19. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

20. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

www.mwave.com
    www.newegg.com

are probably your two best absolutely reliable companies for people that are not resellers to order parts through. As a matter of fact for quite a few parts that they sell they are almost right at wholesale parts. You can use www.pricewatch.com and reference them with reseller ratings but it can still be hit/miss. I can say that for most computer parts I have found that Mwave will be cheaper on most parts then newegg too. Newegg however has a few more parts especially when it comes to any type of modifications (Cases, memory, video cards, etc).

KyleS