What's new

Anyone have a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner? (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
The full reviews won't appear in the magazine until the March issue, but Consumer Reports has already posted a warning in advance on its website that the Hoover Fusion released an unusually high amount of dust back into the air during all three of its tests.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
FWIW: I had my heart set on a Dyson but after reading a few reviews on this forum, I picked up a Fusion. For the price I don't think it can be beat, period. It may,as they say, give off some dust, but I have not noticed any in our 2 months of useage and it picks up great for the price, I am stilled amazed at the amount of stuff that comes out of the carpet. If it works for 2 years and I toss it I am still ahead of the game and happy with my purcahse.

Again, I was all set to buy a Dyson too.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Take anything from CR with a grain of salt and some tequila.

If you lke your fushion, then nothing more needs to be said.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I like my fusion.
But I'll add again that I like it even more because it costs so much less than a Dyson.
It's one of those products that everytime we use it you are impressed with its ability. Kinda like my bottom of the line high-def WS CRT TV. Not nearly as good as what else is out there...but I think it looks great! And, everytime I use it, I say so! :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Holy thread revival, Batman! :D
Saturday we used our "almost no exceptions" 20% off coupon at Robinson's May to get the Dyson DC07 for $303 + tax. My girlfriend had vacuumed our small 2BR apartment earlier that same day, so I was eager to see what, if anything, the Dyson would pick up. Our old vacuum is a ~4-year-old Hoover Legacy Supreme with 99.9 micro filtration, which we keep in excellent condition.
Here's the pics. The first pic is after doing our living room, the second pic is after the 1st BR, and the third pic is after doing both BRs. Clicking on the thumbs will take you to larger versions of the pics.
http://img134.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=35434_1_room.jpg http://img102.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc77&image=6534c_2_rooms.jpg
http://img15.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=0adfe_3_rooms.jpg
I'm a believer ;)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Carlo,

Welcome to the club. Alot of us switched from Hoovers to a Dyson and the change is rather dramatic. We just got new carpet in some areas of our house and it's a workhorse. The dust and hair just sticks to the top of the carpet and doesn't settle like our last carpet and the vacuum has been working overtime.

E

Eric Kahn

Looks like alot of carpet fibers in there

I have a filter queen majestic, one of the vacumms sold by the door to door salesmen (Ebay is wonderful)

it works great, except in the cat hair on the rug in the living room, nothing seems to get it up without repeated passes

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Now I gotta find the Soft Dusting Brush attachment--everywhere seems to have it on 1-2 weeks backorder. I'd rather purchase in-store, I'll have to call a bunch of local places that carry Dyson to see if they have it in stock...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Carlo,
I tried to find that attachment and gave up. I'll likely get it from Dyson directly. I tried everywhere :frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I've called just about every place within 30 miles of my apt. and no dice. I hope they don't ship from the UK--I have bad luck w/ UK packages (Amazon.co.uk)...

E

Eric Kahn

It does fine on the cat hair on the normal carpets, just that one rug over the carpet in the living room, real close weave on it

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Shane,

If you have a Sharper Image nearby, call them, they may have a soft dusting brush extension in stock...good luck!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, you guys told me so...and I shoulda listened!
Eight months ago I was the thrilled customer of a Hoover Fusion. Now, I can't wait to get rid of it! :angry:
While it worked like a champ for about six months...it then proceeded to fall apart like a cheap piece of crap.
First a plastic "grip" that held one of the wands onto the vacuum broke off. Then a piece of plastic on the front wheel carriage broke off rendering the vacuum useless. Several calls to the Hoover customer service line finally yieded a replacement part which was back-ordered for several weeks. Customer service extended my warranty due to their incompetence. This part of the story alone would take days to tell.
Most recently, the vacuum got real loud. An inspection by me found that the agitator (beater brush) was rubbing up against one of its own end caps. I unscrewed the end cap to find an AMAZING amount of human and pet hair wrapped around the axle. The gunk somehow bent the end cap which was now affecting the proper running of the agitator. The folks at Hoover customer service told me I had to contact a local Hoover service shop.
After I explained to the authorized Hoover dealer that my Hoover Fusion was a bagless upright which was a Wal-Mart exclusive I had to wait for him to stop laughing. To sum up his thoughts: "If you bought it from Wal-Mart, it's crap. If you bought a Hoover, it's crap." I said, but it's a HOOVER. It's a company that's owned by Maytag--well-known for high quality. He said "not any more" They were bought out a month or so ago by Whirlpool who is now deciding whether to even maintain the Hoover vacuum line.
When I explained my story about the problems with the vacuum, the repairman said it sounded like I just needed a new agitator which would cost about $25. I said, but its still under warranty. He said, that he would not service it under warranty because it had probably been voided by me dealing with the agitator. While I maintained that my inspection seemed like simple consumer maintenance, he suggested I contact the customer service people again, tell them what he said, and demand satisfaction and that I was sending the machine back to them.
My current plan of attack is to take the vacuum (I still have its original box), the manual (covered in copious notes from all the different times I've talked to customer service and the repair shop), the letter extending the warranty, and the receipt (which shows I purchased the vacuum on 9-8-05) and march up to Wal-Mart's customer service counter and demand my cash back.
As I noted several pages ago, if I get my $$ back...I will now have my downpayment on a Dyson.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Stick a new bag in your old vacuum and perform the same test (re-vacuum and compare the dust). Wow! Look at all the dust that was picked up!
Miele does the best job and is HEPA rated (the vacuum, NOT just the filter like most other vacuums). However, be prepared to spend $$$! I also have a Festool shop vac and that thing is amazing (if there was a rug attachment I'd use it in the house!).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Quick update.
No go on returning the machine to Wal-Mart. I guess I'm not too surprised. they are VERY good about returns...but ARE explicit that it needs to be within 90 days of purchase. Even without a receipt, they would have tracked the sale based on the serial number.
However, they DID offer to send the vacuum to the Hoover factory for me for repair. This is a service I did NOT know Wal-Mart provided. I suspect I will get a refurbished Fusion sent to me via UPS. The W-M clerk gave me a document detailing all the pertinent info including UPS tracking numbers and phone numbers where I can call for a status on the work order, etc. Fairly efficient.
The customer service guy actually felt a fair amount of sympathy for me. He said he understood where I was coming from but that you can ALWAYS return something to W-M within that 90 day period. You see, one of my major bones of conetntion was that the manual for the vacuum says in big bold letters on the cover DO NOT RETURN THIS PRODUCT TO STORE. Instead, they want you to call the Hoover numbers for problems so they can send you to an authorized dealer.
I am really ticked off now by my decision to go Fusion. But I guess I'm stuck. :frowning:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
So your Hoover stopped sucking because you have a blown Fusion?

Yeah, it sucks.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks