What's new

Anyone have a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner? (1 Viewer)

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Animal Full Gear model a couple of weeks ago for $489 delivered on the web. I've used it twice so far. after unpacking the thing, I first vacuumed the house with my former vacuum cleaner (Hoover Windtunnel). I then vacuumed immediately afterward with the Animal. I was amazed at how much gunk the Hoover left behind... sand, yarn and loads of dust. I was sold right there. The Dyson vacuum cleaners are god-awful ugly, but who cares? Knowing that I'll never buy another vacuum bag or filter again is also a big plus. It is also very quiet, has great suction, and it's made of some sort of indestructible polymer stuff.

Also, Dyson has incredible customer support. I had to call them for assistance during assembly (I ain't the brightest candle in the church) and they answered the phone on the second ring. No recorded message, and no elevator music while on terminal hold. Some sweathearted old lady named Irma walked me through it. I felt like I was talking to my granny. She even registered my vacuum and told me that in the unlikely event that I have future repair issues, to just box it up and send it back. They will pay for the shipping both ways and get it back to me within a week. Thanks, Irma. Bless your soul.

Dave

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Drew, Where did you learn that bagless vacuums lose their filtering properties over time? I'd like to know more about this claim. Tks, Dave

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Bagless models are too messy. Too much dust flying around each time you empty the cup, which makes the HEPA filters a moot point. I'm sticking with a bagged model as well.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I can't find the actual review where i read of them going bad but here is what Consumer Reports has to say:

"Lately, many uprights have adopted a bagless configuration with a see-through dirt bin that replaces the usual bag. Performance has improved for bagless vacs, though emptying their bins can raise enough dust to concern even those without allergies."

"Bagless vacs filtered dust as well as bag-equipped models overall, but emptying their bins released enough dust to make wearing a mask a consideration."

ChrisP

Agent
I bought a Dyson (the yellow one) a few weeks ago, and feel the need to jump in and point out that the Dyson system for emptying the canister results in little to no dust escaping. You can pull the trash bag up around the canister, and a small trigger at the top opens a trap door at the bottom, emptying the canister without having to deal with touching the gunk or sending dust flying. So far i love mine.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I should perhaps have added in my original post that Dyson are the most influential (and I *think* biggest-selling) vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK. They've been going quite a while here and I don't know anyone who has one who has any complaints about it.

BTW, we haven't had any problem with emptying the Dyson container, and certainly never had dust spewing out when emptying it. Altogether it's a far nicer experience than emptying a normal vacuum cleaner bag, IMHO.

Has the Dyson washing machine reached N America yet?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I bought a Dyson (the yellow one) a few weeks ago, and feel the need to jump in and point out that the Dyson system for emptying the canister results in little to no dust escaping. You can pull the trash bag up around the canister, and a small trigger at the top opens a trap door at the bottom, emptying the canister without having to deal with touching the gunk or sending dust flying. So far i love mine.
100% agree. The Dyson is even cleaner to empty than a bagged model. Ever squeeze a vacuum cleaner bag, just a little, by accident? *cough*

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Ever squeeze a vacuum cleaner bag, just a little, by accident? *cough*
Funny. The bags on my Eureka have a rubber seal that closes when it's removed, preventing any dust from escaping. Glad I went with it based on Consumer Reports' recommendation (ranked ten spots higher than a Dyson.) Not only did I get a great vacuum, I saved myself over $200 by avoiding the more hyped, but lesser performing models.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do with the $200 that I'll save on filters and bags over the next ten years:D
Interesting that Dyson makes a washing machine...I'll hold off on my new washer purchase until I can find out if they plan to distribute it in N.A. Based on my experience with the Dyson vacuum, the washer is probably top-notch.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'll hold off on my new washer purchase until I can find out if they plan to distribute it in N.A.
I should perhaps have added that they're rather expensive (at least in the UK). If memory serves me correctly, a conventional washing machine costs something like 300 pounds, whilst the Dyson is in the 800-1000 pound range.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Ok folks - just ordered the Dyson Animal using the 20% off discount in the "Deals" forum for Beds and Linens.... Thanks for all the feedback. Can't believe I'm psyched about a vacuum. :D
Getting old sucks !!!!
(pardon the pun)

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
100% agreement on loving my Dyson. We have the yellow one as well, by far the best vacuum I've ever owned. I never have a problem with dust escaping while emptying it, I just go out on the back deck and empty it directly into a trash bag... It is amazing how much it picks up!

VinhT

Second Unit
There is a section of removable hard-plastic tubing right at the bend.
This is the area that concerns me most about the Dyson vacuum cleaners. While examining the display models available at Best Buy, I noticed that the part does not seem to form a good seal with the hose. It reeked of poor design to me. Furthermore, the plastic used throughout the product evoked a feeling of extremely low build quality. For example, the handle flexed considerably and felt like it might actually break.

However, in light of the glowing reviews here, I may have to reconsider Dyson products. I have never been sufficiently impressed by the newer consumer models to warrant replacing my 10-year-old vacuum. I would actually prefer a basic industrial-grade model, like something that might be used in a hotel. Since I have never seen any of those for sale, I guess I might have to give Dyson another look.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The bags on my Eureka have a rubber seal that closes when it's removed, preventing any dust from escaping. Glad I went with it based on Consumer Reports' recommendation (ranked ten spots higher than a Dyson.)
Slightly off topic, but Consumer Reports 'rankings' lost all shreds of credibility with me when they gave 4:3 tube tv's 'Excellent' ratings for watching DVD's, while the widescreen 16:9 projection TV's got 'Average' for watching DVD's on. :thumbsdown:

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

I agree it "feels" cheap, but ours gets beat up pretty bad by our house cleaner, plus I throw it in the back of the van, pile suitcases on top and drive to our SC condo every few months. No breaks or cracks. Still performs amazingly well after a year.

Agree on Consumer Reports. When I subscribed, they had mounds of "scientific proof" on how BOSE created the best sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks