Anyone have a Dell Ultrashart 17" flat panel monitor?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian Price, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Brian Price

Brian Price Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking about getting the Dell 17" Ultrasharp flat panel monitor with my new pc. Anybody have this or other Dell Ultrasharp flat panel monitors so I could get opinions? Thanks.

Brian Price

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

If it bears any resemblance to the 'ultrasharp' monitors that you can get with their laptops, they're great. Usually most of dell's accessories are just repackaged equipment manufactured by other companies.

3. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

I run dual Dell UltraSharp 1900FP 19" LCDs on my main Mac workstation. Both driven digitally. They are the same as the Samsung 191T except for not rotating vertically and having no fungly purple on the bases. Also impressed that Dell went with the silver bezel on them, which has an additional ergonomics certification and is desirable in low light environments like editing.

Performance wise I have no complaints. Have had three of them in here and all were tested with dedicated software and no dead pixels or other issues were found. Like any monitors the gamma may require tweaking. Plenty bright, fine on contrast, never distracted by any ghosting.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

We have several 15s here at the office- best looking LCD I've ever seen.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I have the UltraSharp 2000FP 20-inch Dell Flatpanel at home and it is quite amazing (and I'm not even running it digitally)

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Sorry to tempt you, but it looks much better digitally [​IMG]

//Ken

7. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Brian - I have a Dell UltraSharp 18" at home and think it is fantastic. Great looking image and a surprisingly good and not-too-soft image when you drive it at a resolution other than 1280x1024.

Note: the UltraSharps are Phillips monitors rebranded by Dell. Also - many of them use the BGR pixel arrangement rather than the more traditional RGB pixel arrangement. This means that you won't get the best looking ClearType unless you tweak it to use the proper pixel mapping. Microsoft has a web-based utility that will tweak ClearType for you.

-greg

8. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Ultrasharps are sourced from many different places.

The 15" 1504FP is a Samsung
    The 17" E171FP (not Ultrasharp) is a BenQ
    The 17" 1702FP is a Samsung
    The 17" 1703FP is a Samsung
    The 18" 1800FP is an LG Philips
    The 19" 1900FP is a Samsung
    The 20" 2000FP is a BenQ

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yeah, i was gonna post that many of the Ultrasharp panels are Samsung (checked manufacture location by FCC id). I knew the 1504 is...

10. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Not sure if you're interested, but there's the 22" Gateway widescreen 1600x1024 LCD panel, refurbished, for $899.10 plus shipping from CompGeeks. It has DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite, so you can hook it up to your vcr or something to watch TV.

It'll probably be available for a day or two. Just use promotional code: gotapex for 10% off to bring the price down from $999 to $899.10.

Gateway 22" LCD for $899.10