What's new

Anyone have a 2001: A Space Odyssey in dts? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Damin, Clarke did indeed pull a fast-one there! I don't think that 3001 is among Clarke's best work, and I hope it is never adapted for Cinema. But 2010 is an interesting filmization in it's own right.

Aaron, I guess that's what Mr Poole was refering to, but it's still a weird thing to say, and as we know, one of the film's main themes is communication.

I don't know, it's one of those films that crackpots like myself find much humour and wackiness in - say what you will about 2001, but you have to agree that it's a genuinely unique film. The use of Strauss, Ligeti (who actually never gave permission to use his music, and he tried to sue!) and Khachaturian is mesmerizing, and was a truly audacious move at the time, and I still find it striking, even after all the parodies.

And then there's the use of Bartok in The Shining - which I find the best thing about the film. I can't think of any other film that uses Bartok, never mind use his astonishing pieces as well as Kubrick did.

Gordy

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
The use of Strauss, Ligeti (who actually never gave permission to use his music, and he tried to sue!) and Khachaturian is mesmerizing
There was a totally different score used for 2001:ASO, but was never used because Kubrick fell in love with these temp tracks used, thus used them for the final music score for the film. I believe the original score for the film is available on CD somewhere, but I can't remember who composed it.

Mike

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The great Alex North composed the original score for 2001, which was not to Kubrick's liking and as you rightly say, he stuck with the 'temp' score! But it worked.

I have always meant to check out North's score on CD, but I have always lost my bottle - chickened out! :D

It's such an out-there movie that I can't even being to imagine what North's musical answer to what I saw on the screen. I'm not even sure if his score was ever cut to the 160-minute version.

Gordy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I actually don't own that CD. I never got around to buying it. I do have the "classical" soundtrack. Maybe I'll tack it on to one of my DVD Empire pre-orders.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's interesting music, but it's not right for 2001, Kubrick made the correct choice.

If you've seen (or heard) "Dragonslayer", then you've heard a lot of the Alex North score to 2001 since he reused many elements of it in that film.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
That is interesting! "Dragonslayer" is one of my ATFs. And I really like the score. I guess I had better get North's 2001.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Nice music. Disney-esque strings. Totally wrong for 2001. When I first saw 2001 it scared the crap out of me. Seriously. The use of 'Atmospheres' just unnerved me... blew my mind, though - still does. And I think that is the intent of many of the scenes: fear - and wonder of outer space.

PS: Another interesting alternative score for 2001 is 'Echoes' by Pink Floyd from Meddle (1971). Play the 24-minute track when "JUPITER - AND BEYOND THE INFINITE" appears. The way the music is cued-up to the images is quite spooky! :)

Ah, many a night spent watching that, passing a joi-- err... peanuts. :D

Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen Dragonslayer, but I plan on getting the DVD. I like weird medieval/fantasy movies - does Dragonslayer fit the bill?! :D

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks