What's new

Anyone have a 2001: A Space Odyssey in dts? (1 Viewer)

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I just recieved a copy of 2001 a space odessy from amazon auctions and it has a dts logo across the top of the disc and it says all ntsc on the back. and it has a circle with dvd 9 dual layer on the upper right side. My reciever recognizes the disc as dts and lets it play. It also has a dd 5.1 track on it. Did I get a bootleg copy, or is this a Euro copy?

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Nice one, Patrick!

Yep, probably a boot. As far as I know, 2001 is not available in DTS in any region.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
All region is a big clue

The biggest one is the big "DVD-9" on there. No legit DVD wil ever have that

And the fact that it's a Warner title in DTS :)all they did was rip the DD 5.1 and recompress

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
You couln't have found a leg without a big fat festering sore on it?

Ew.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Rain, I feel your pain, but I think it is an editorial about bootlegs... Best to wear some comfortable and legal sneakers. At least that's my take. It's one of those reality ads: This is your DVD. This is your DVD on bootleg.

Works for me. Scared legal now.

D

;)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I love 2001 - always have. Crazy film. But I doubt DTS would be of much benefit to the film anyway, but I guess it would be nice. But this is a boot with recompressed DTS.

Yeah, some weird shit turns up on Amazon auctions; I'm susprised they let some of the more obvious stuff through, ie. obvious bootleg CDs/DVDs. Are they playing with fire?

Gordy

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I emailed the seller and told him I wanted my money back. He sent me an email with a full refund an hour later, but he wants his bootleg disc back. I should have read his feedback! He had multiple feedback about bootlegs. Oh well live and learn least I got the cash back.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
The only official press release of a DTS edition of 2001: A Space Odyssey was back in 1997-1998 by DTS through Image Entertainment. At the time when laserdiscs still ruled the high-end home theatre market, DTS had their encodings on laserdiscs and films from different studios were released through Image. 2001:ASO was one of those slotted for release. Eventually, this did not happen (I can think of a few more like Pink Floyd: The Wall). By correspondence from DTS. it was said that DTS was in the market to provide the highest-quality sounding soundtracks, 2001:ASO eventually fell out of that category, as did Pink Floyd: The Wall. They had flawed soundtracks, and time and money did not permit the cleanup they needed for optimal performance. I can attest to this statement because I bought the Dolby Digital edition of Pink Floyd: The Wall laserdisc was released, and indeed, the soundtrack was heavily flawed with lots of distortion on drums, guitars which made for a very distracting experience through the whole movie. The DVD released of this title has been cleaned up of these artefacts.

Today, you can find many bootlegs of films on DVD with DTS soundtracks; ie. the three original Star Wars films in SE form, and the Indiana Jones Trilogy. All of these, obvioulsly, are taken from the laserdisc releases.

Mike

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Tell him you mailed it to the MPAA, and he can pick it up there
LMAO! I will do that if he ever emails me back!

Gord what is next wednesday? And yeah I plan to get an offical copy. Used online of course! :D This time I check the feedback or go through djangos or second spin!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Come on, Josh!

"See you next wednesday." - Frank Poole's dad, 2001: A Space Odyssey

And quoted visually or verbally in almost every John Landis movie! Blues Brothers: The billboard for the King Kong-esque movie! :D

It's such a weird line, I mean, Frank's in outer space and his old man says he'll see him in a week's time! How?
And as we know,Frank meets a bizarre death.

It's just one of those weird lines that gets quoted by movie geeks like Landis - and me! :laugh:

Great stuff.

Gordy

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
You're lucky. none of the jackasses who ever sold me bootlegs were ever willing to do anything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks