What's new

Anyone had ringworm or used Tinactin? (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I think I may have gotten ringworm from my dog. My back, shoulders, arms down to my elbow, and sides of stomach have these red, scaly spots that eventually clear in the center and leave a ring-like shape behind.

I've been using Tinactin for about a week now, but I don't know if it's having the healing effect it's supposed to have. It seems to dry, harden, and raise the affected areas, and some of them ooze a bit of fluid. However, after I take a shower they are flatter and smoother, until I use the cream again.

Thanks.

~T

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Dude .....TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!! :D :D :D
In all seriousness, it sounds like textbook ringworm, (caused by the same fungus that causes Athlete's foot).
Tinactin is supposed to work, but it should have started working already. I think you may want to supplement with an oral medication. in other words, Go see a doctor. Also, there may be some evidence that it could be spread on your own person via the "ooze". Do NOT let it spread to your scalp where it may cause permanent hair loss in infected patches. Again, go see your doctor! Lastly, keep everything cool and dry.
If you got it from your dog, you probably want to get him/her treated and then clean the crap out of your house.
good luck
p.s. in no way, shape, or form am I a doctor or medically trained, just chiming in with my 2 centimes

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Ringworm. While I was stationed in Italy with the Air Force I would visit friends who lived off base. On a visit the mangiest, nastiest dog I have ever seen came up to me. Before I saw how bad he was I had reached out to pet him. Bad mistake. A few days later I had what you describe. The doctor gave me some oral medicine and said it would take six weeks to do the job. I guess that is how long it takes the scin to grow out.

Clean up everyting and don't rely on the Tinactin. Get to a doctor.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I thought there'd be more people who've had ringworm, or at least athlete's foot.

It's taking me about 15 minutes to apply the cream, so I guess I'm pretty covered with it.

I'll go see my doctor next week.

~T

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Sometimes I visit the after hours forum just to read the subject lines :D
Seriously though, go see a doctor.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm seeing the doctor on Tuesday. I've done some research, and I think this rash, not sure if it's really ringworm, could have been caused by some antibiotics I took a few weeks ago.

~T

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've done some research, and I think this rash, not sure if it's really ringworm, could have been caused by some antibiotics I took a few weeks ago.
This is why God created doctors. :D Although I can see where you would think us good folks in After Hours are just as intelligent. Thi, have you tried anyone over in Testing? :D

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Well, many years ago I had , uh, er, "jock itch" and Tinactin did its job. Sounds like you need to see a doctor and give your dog more baths!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It could be psoriasis too...

Go find a dermatologist, he'll probably make the correct diagnosis the first time around.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I suddenly have the urge to watch Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club.
:crazy:

ace peterson

Second Unit
I don't think ringworm can spread over an entire body like that. And I've never heard of ringworm on a dog, or ringworm leaking fluid. It's something else.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
Having caught ringworm from a new cat a few years ago (damn Jersey City pound) - I know what you're going through.

The vet gave us some special salve for the cats (the existing cat caught it from the new cat). When we got the stuff from the vet, he said "When you get it, just use this stuff" (notice the "when" not "if").

It took a few weeks, but it eventually went away.

The best part of this whole experience was giving the cats showers...

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I saw the doctor today. He said he wasn't exactly sure what I have but that it's possibly psoriasis. Then his father saw me, whom I've seen since I was a baby and is more experienced than him, and he also thought it might be psoriasis. They tried to find me a dermatologist to get a better diagnosis. While I was waiting for them, the sister/daughter saw my file, took a look at me, and thought it might be psoriasis too. Since I don't have insurance, she didn't want me to waste money seeing the dermatologist immediately because it could be anything, and gave me some sample cream and told me to get some sunlight.

I was pretty sure I had ringworm and didn't leave the doctors feeling satisfied with their diagnosis. I took a look at WebMD, and their ringworm symptoms matches mine more than psoriasis does. But what do I know.

~T

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I was misdiagnosed by one of those mediclinic doctors as being infested by some parasitical insect-thing...um scabies I believe. When the medicine had no effect after a week, my parents took me to a dermatologist and immediately and correctly diagnosed me with psoriasis.

Believe me, I'd rather have had scabies than psoriasis, since you can get rid of the former.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm still hoping it might be ringworm, because I wouldn't want to have this forever. If this is psoriasis, do you have any tips for me to alleviate it?

~T

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Psoriasis treatment is different for each individual. For me, taking antihistamines everyday all year helps a lot, although I don't know what the long-term effects will be. Psoriasis is linked to (usually minor overall) immune system problems. I do have allergies, incidently. When I was younger, I found that catching a flu would make the psoriasis go away completely.

Extreme stress is also a trigger, as well as skin exposure to allergens. For example, if you're allergic to latex, the exposed skin will develop a rash and you'll get eczema, which can turn into a full-blown case of psoriasis. A strong dose of steroidal cream or spray is helpful here, although excessive and long-term use of topical steroids is very bad for your complexion.

Psoriasis is usually accompanied by extremely fast skin growth, usually 5-7 times faster than a normal person. When a patch of skin growths faster or slower than the surrounding area then the symptoms of psoriasis will appear.

Water quality can sometimes affect your skin. I have a water-softener installed, and it seems to help a fair bit. My skin doesn't dry out in soft water, thus reducing skin flaking and therefore lowers the risk of developing eczema.

I haven't had psoriasis symptoms in 3 years, except for very very minor symptoms when I came into contact with allergens.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Thanks for the helpful info, Max. I have allergies too. I recently bought an air purifier and removed the carpeting, and it seems to have helped a lot. I could say that I've had stress over the past few months. What's the antihistamine you are taking?

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks