1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone had problems with Pioneer Slot Load DVD Drives

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I just finally finished my new computer. You can read about my fun doing this in the After Hourse section.

Anyways, I've had it running in final form for 2 days. Went to install a game and the DVD drive started making some definately not right noises in the middle of installation and now I can't get it to read anything.

So basically what I want to know is whether others have had the Pioneer 105s or 106s die on them. If so I'll get it replaced with a different drive. If not I guess I'll just get it replaced.

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

my 106s has worked perfectly for the past year+

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I gave away my 104S...what a piece of crap! Makes horrible grinding noises, and you can hear the laser banging against the drive mechanism. It can't read CD-RWs half the time either. It did this a month or so after I bought it, but I thought it was normal, never having a DVD-ROM before. My new Toshiba M1612 DVD-ROM is flawless...no noises, reads everything.

Also, I found a product review site...most of the comments reported exactly the problem I was having. The 104S and 105S slot-load drives are very problematic.

4. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

My 105S has performed flawlessly for about 18 months now. DIG THAT SLICK SLOT LOADER! [​IMG]

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

my new Lite-on seems like a pretty good drive - it's cheap too (paid like $35 for it.)

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I've not had a problem with both an IDE 105-S and a SCSI 102 Pioneer slot loading DVD-Rom drives.

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I've had a 103 for a couple of years. No problems to speak of.