Anyone had problems with Pioneer Slot Load DVD Drives

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I just finally finished my new computer. You can read about my fun doing this in the After Hourse section.

Anyways, I've had it running in final form for 2 days. Went to install a game and the DVD drive started making some definately not right noises in the middle of installation and now I can't get it to read anything.

So basically what I want to know is whether others have had the Pioneer 105s or 106s die on them. If so I'll get it replaced with a different drive. If not I guess I'll just get it replaced.

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

my 106s has worked perfectly for the past year+

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I gave away my 104S...what a piece of crap! Makes horrible grinding noises, and you can hear the laser banging against the drive mechanism. It can't read CD-RWs half the time either. It did this a month or so after I bought it, but I thought it was normal, never having a DVD-ROM before. My new Toshiba M1612 DVD-ROM is flawless...no noises, reads everything.

Also, I found a product review site...most of the comments reported exactly the problem I was having. The 104S and 105S slot-load drives are very problematic.

4. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

My 105S has performed flawlessly for about 18 months now. DIG THAT SLICK SLOT LOADER! [​IMG]

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

my new Lite-on seems like a pretty good drive - it's cheap too (paid like $35 for it.)

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I've not had a problem with both an IDE 105-S and a SCSI 102 Pioneer slot loading DVD-Rom drives.

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I've had a 103 for a couple of years. No problems to speak of.