What's new

Anyone had luck gluing a crack in a car bumper? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I have a clean crack (meaning I can press the two pieces back together and hardly notice the crack) through the front bumper cover on my S500, and the body shop is quoting me $1,800 to replace the bumper and $1,000 to fix. It may be something that I will try to fix myself, since it is not in a very conspicuous location.

From what I've heard, it is not good to use "hard" glues such as epoxies since any impact stress will create another break. Would a silicone like GE Silicone II even be an option here or something else like a heated glue gun?

Thanks

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
heated glue gun will probably crack from extreme cold or melt from extreme heat.

duct tape might work.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What about caulking? Use some steel wool to smooth it level, and then just paint over the top if necessary. Caulking shouldn't have any problems expanding and contracting with temperature variations.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Gluing crack in a bumper?!! :eek: I am shocked that you would ask HTF members to help in your illegal smuggling activities. You need to get some professional help.

Oh, sorry. Never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks