1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone had good success buying Energy speakers by mail (other than Audioshop)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 11, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am in the market for an Energy e:XL-C2 center channel speaker to replace my e:XL-C. Two local brick-and-mortar Energy dealers are selling the e:XL-C2 for $350, which seems to be the standard street price. Harvey Electronics has the e:XL-C2 on its web site for $350 as well (they don't sell Energy by mail). As far as I know, Energy does not authorize dealers to sell its products by mail. I know that Audioshop in Canada no longer sells Energy products to US customers. Despite all of this, has anyone had a good experience buying Energy products at a discount by mail? I generally don't like buying from unauthorized dealers, but www.soundpros.com has the Energy e:XL-C2 for only $265. I bought a Sony minidisc player from them back in June and had no problems at all. Has anyone ordered Energy products from them? They have a great price on the e:XL-C2, but I don't know if I should buy it from them. Thoughts?
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on November 11, 2001 at 06:20 PM]

2. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

wherever you decide to buy from, DON'T let them ship via UPS!!!!!!!! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! !.
    they make a living destroying expensive packages!
    if you're gonna ship anything big and expensive. ship FEDEX 2day service. last thing I want to hear is another person with a big hole in their box and the speakers smashed into smitherines.
    general rule if you want to ship to UPS is "drop off 3 storie building, if everything's still in tact, go ahead with UPS"... otherwise, use another courier.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bernard said:
    quote: "drop off 3 storie building, if everything's still in tact, go ahead with UPS"[/quote]
    [​IMG]
    I've heard this from many people before. I am not going to debate the quality of service provided by UPS, but I have never received anything damaged from them, electronics or otherwise. Maybe I've been lucky. Also, I shipped someone on the HTF a pair of Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers by UPS Ground recently because UPS was much, much cheaper than 3-day FedEx, and the speakers arrived in perfect condition. I packed the speakers in the original box with all packing materials and shipped them double-boxed with styrofoam peanuts filling the spaces between the two boxes. That certainly helped. Frankly, not all dealers are so careful. I was horrified last year when I received a Pioneer Elite PD-65 CD player via UPS that was not double-boxed. I was shocked that the dealer didn't ship it double-boxed. Fortunately, the player arrived in perfect condition and has performed flawlessly. Knock on rosewood sidepanels. [​IMG]
    EDIT: After submitting this post, I remembered that Sound Pros, the dealer with the e:XL-C2 speaker priced very reasonable, didn't ship my Sony MDS-JA555ES MD player double-boxed back in June. It was shipped from their warehouse in Hawaii to me in Delaware with the Sony box exposed, but the deck arrived in perfect condition. Frankly, I don't recall if it was shipped UPS or FedEx. If I were to order the e:XL-C2 from them, I would certainly inquire about double-boxing. Frankly, it would probably be worth it for me to spend a little more and buy the speaker from an authorized brick-and-mortar dealer who will readily do an exchange if I get a defective speaker and who is just a short car ride away. One of the two Energy dealers in my area will take my e:XL-C as a trade-in, though they probably won't give me too much for it.
    ------------------
    My:
    [Edited last by KeithH on November 12, 2001 at 06:12 AM]

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, thanks for the tip, but that's no good. I live in Delaware. [​IMG] I know Good Guys sells Energy, but they are not in the big leagues as far as mail-order goes because of their limited shipping radius. There were a lot of people on Audio Asylum who were disappointed that they could not get the Sony SCD-C333ES SACD changer for $400 because Good Guys doesn't ship ES products. Maybe Good Guys will get with the program someday.
    ------------------
    My:

6. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

You can call Len Gerling at 604-832-8109, Len will ship anywhere at the best rates from a&B sound. Just give Len my name when you call. We have sent speakers all over the world with no problems.
    ------------------
    Bruce
    http://bruceabar.tripod.com/theabarshometheater/

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bruce, thanks for the tip. I also saw mention of your source for Energy speakers on your homepage (the e-mail link). Is this an authorized Energy dealer with a web site? As I said earlier in this thread, I thought Energy doesn't authorize mail-order sales. In any event, I'll make the call tomorrow. Thanks again.
    ------------------
    My:

8. Bruce Abar

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

10. Bruce Abar

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bruce, I know Energy offers a five-year warranty with its products. However, when you said "Len will give you a 5 year warranty", it sounded like the scenario when unauthorized dealers offer a warranty themselves since they know a manufacturer won't back the merchandise.
    ------------------
    My:

12. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Keith, A&B Sound IS an authorized dealer for Energy, do not worry. I deal with them on a regular basis.
    ------------------
    McPaul.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Still, how is it that Audioshop cannot ship Energy products to US customers, but A&B Sound can?
    ------------------
    My:

14. Bruce Abar

It is simply, because I direct you to an a&b salesmen(that is why I always say to give them my name), he can sell to you. If an a&b salesmen went on line here and tried to sell to you, that would be breaking the rules of a&b sound(or any other company). The USA pays for there territory, so a&b going in there territory is wrong, but it is your choice if you want to go to a store or order off line. A&B is an authorized for PSB and Energy. I had one of the big shots from Energy call me at home, warning me to not do this,(that year I pick up well over $150,000 in sales) but in the same breath, he could not do anything about it. I personally don't make any money at this,(I own and operate restaurants) but receive discounts, doing this is a lot of fun, and when I believe in a product, I like to pass it on to other people. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Bruce

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bruce, thanks for the explanation. I called A&B Sound today, and as you said, Len was not in. He'll be back in on Thursday. Nevertheless, I spoke to someone else there who quoted me $399 CDN or $250 USD for the e:XL-C2, which is an excellent price. However, after I had given both your name and Len's, the individual I spoke to suggested I speak to Len on Thursday to see what pricing he may be able to offer. So, I'll see if Len can do better than $250 USD.
    Even $250 USD is a great price for me. As I said earlier in this thread, the two brick-and-mortar Energy dealers I am familiar with in my area sell the e:XL-C2 for $350 USD. One will take my e:XL-C as a trade-in, but I am guessing I will get no more than $100 USD for it. So, maybe I could get the e:XL-C2 for $250 USD after the trade-in. If Len gives me the e:XL-C2 for $250 USD or hopefully even less, I could sell the e:XL-C on my own and end up way ahead on the deal. Of course, I'll have to see what Len quotes me for shipping. I could get this over with and pay the $350 USD for the speaker locally, but I love sniffing out a good deal. [​IMG]
    Thanks again for the tip, Bruce. I'll let you know what I find out on Thursday.
    ------------------
    My:

16. Bruce Abar

Yes, please only go through Len, Len is the only one who is autherized to take credit cards on phone orders. Len and I arrange this 4 years ago. You probley talked to John, who knows me very well, and know not to complete a sale with out len knowing. These guys at a&b are on commisstion, but Len is not greedy, I have knowned Len to give the sale to John.
    ------------------
    Bruce

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bruce, I just got off the phone with Len. He told me that he received an e-mail from a head person at Energy forbidding him from selling Energy merchandise out of his area (i.e., by mail). Audioshop in Ontario went through the same thing last year, so I am not surprised. In any event, it looks like I am going to have to deal with a local brick-and-mortar dealer, who is unlikely to discount. So it goes.
    ------------------
    My:

18. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I feared that would happen as soon as I saw the name of the chain store mentioned.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Garrett, good point. I wonder if people from Energy check out this board and others. Discussions similar to this one could have prompted Energy to stop Audioshop from selling its products to US customers. Nevertheless, Energy has a policy against mail order, and authorized dealers are expected to abide by it.
    Sound Pros (http://www.soundpros.com In any event, if I want the e:XL-C2, I am going to have to pay the full $350 to an authorized dealer. Frankly, a new center speaker isn't worth that much to me right now. I have no problem with the e:XL-C for movies, but I find it a bit lacking with surround-sound music. However, I don't have that much surround-sound music right now, and there isn't too much that I want to buy. Besides, I find myself listening to my DVD-Audio discs (those with discrete stereo tracks) and multi-channel SACDs on my stereo system most of the time anyway since I much prefer stereo. For all these reasons, the e:XL-C2 will wait.
    On a related subject, how do unauthorized dealers get merchandise? Maybe this is an inane question, but how does a dealer that is not authorized to sell Energy, Denon, Marantz, Sony or whatever brand get their stock? Can they buy directly from the manufacturer? Do they go through a distributor? If it's the latter, who is the distributor? How can a distributor sell to unauthorized dealers and how can they get merchandise?
    ------------------
    My:

20. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Keith,