Anyone Had Gallbladder Problems???

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jon_Gregory, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Well My wife seems to be having pain in the area of her gallbladder. An ultrasound has been done and came up negative for any problems ie gallstones. We went in today and had a HIDA scan done, which tests the functions of the gallbladder etc... My question is, has anyone had similar problems as this when the ultrasound has come up negative. She is really in a lot of pain. And when she is in pain she does not sleep, therefore I do not sleep. I was wondering what questions I need to be asking these doctors and if there is anyone that has been through this type of deal before? This is really putting a lot of stress on us and hopefully everything will turn up OK in the end.

2. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Supposedly this is a very common problem. U.S. Attourney General John Ashcroft just got out of surgery a few hours ago. When reporting this on the news thay said that 400,000 people A YEAR have gallbladder surgery.[​IMG]

3. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Jon,

My wife went through this ordeal about 2 years ago. Started with severe pains in her lower,right section of the abdomen in the middle of the night. The attacks would come and go over a few months then things got worse. She had ultrasounds done, MRI, HIDA scan, and even scoped with a little camera thing. Not one single test showed anything was wrong.
    She went ahead and had the gall bladder removed and she got better immediately. The surgery only took about 40 minutes.

Jeff

4. Joseph Howard

Joseph Howard Stunt Coordinator

Ah, yes.... Been there done that. I know the pain and
    the feeling your wife is going through.

I too had a negative for Gall-stones, but a HIDA scan
    showed that my Gallbladder was not very efficient when
    trying to work. I was able to change my diet and eating
    habits and **slowly** over the period of a month or two
    able to calm my gallbladder down.

Simply, my old diet was over-taxing my gallbladder and
    it was spasming, then causing pain, and in addition
    caused severe heartburn. A modification of when, how
    much, and what I eat was able to slowly correct the
    problems for me..... however, my doctor says that someday
    it will probably be necessary to give up my gallbladder.

I don't know if this is your wife's problem, but you might
    ask your doctor about dietary issues.

Other things, not all gall-stones are the same. Some
    are hard, some can be "mushy" and will not show up on
    an untrasound (however, the HIDA, should shed some light
    on that).

If her problem seems to happen "right" after eating, she
    should try to reduce how much she eats.

If she is having this problem mostly at night after
    lying down, investigate the heartburn angle as well. (I'd
    never had any real heartburn problems until my gallbladder
    acted up.) Plus, if she eats anything, wait at least 4 hours before going to bed at night.

Reduce fatty foods (gallbladder stores bile from the
    liver to help digest fatty food materials), reduce
    caffeine (coffee, sodas), no red meats, eat smaller
    portions of food, drink lots of water, when resting
    stay upright, and warm heat on the back or front seems to
    help reduce the pain.

Good luck. And I hope you find out what is exactly going
    on.

Lastly, don't pay any attention to this post until you
    talk to your wife's doctor &/or wife. Everyone is
    different, I'm just posting my similar experience for
    informational purposes.

Dr. Joe

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Have her eat a nice fatty cheeseburger and a coke from somewhere for dinner, if she has pains all night, it's her gallbladder more likely than not.

My wife went through years of this before they finally took her gall bladder out. Bingo, everything got better.

6. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

That's the thing, the pain started late Friday (3-5-04) and has been constant the entire time since then. It has nothing to do with what she eats or when she eats. The pain came on all of a sudden and has not quit. It only hurts worse when she breaths and when she bends over and moves etc... Since the pain is constant and not going away the doctors are trying to pinpoint it with tests as soon as possible. We will find out if the HIDA scan reveals anything tomarrow.

7. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Also forgot to add that when this was happening her stools were of a very green color which is from the excess bile being released.
    Sorry for that tid-bit.

Jeff

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I had my gall bladder removed three years ago. I went to the emergency room about six months earlier with chest pains. After a series of tests, they were interpreted as heart problems, but after an angiogram showed nothing, I was sent home, as the pains had gone away. Six months later the same pain returned, and this was correctly diagnosed as a problem with my gall bladder. My stool had been green tinted for quite a while also. Next day, out came the gall bladder and I've had no problems since. No one did an ultrasound on me though.

9. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

In my senior year of high school my family doctor noticed that the whites of my eyes were yellowish. I was put through a series of tests for hepatitis. When that kept coming up negative I was directed to stop all activities outside of attending school. They were convinced it had to be mono so it was best I avoided getting rundown.
    After a month or two and still no signs of mono I got a lecture around, "did I have an intravenous drug habit I was hiding that I could have contracted hepatitis from?" They were really running out of ideas.
    Eventually my doctor stumbled upon a rare gallbladder disorder with symptoms of mild jaundice.
    Basically it makes for reduced gallbladder function. A trial period on phenobarbs reversed the jaundice. The official term for it is Gilbert's Disease. I have never experienced any pain, but I'd think your eyes ought to tell you if it's related to the gallbladder. Yellowish tint to the whites of the eyes. Alcohol consumption and/or large intake of fatty foods will add to the effect.