Anyone had experience with $2.95 DVD-R's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Producer

May 22, 1999
    CD offers 4.7 GB blanks for $2.95, but you can also pay all the way up to about twenty bucks apiece for brand name blanks at other sites. Is there a difference? Has anyone tried the cheap ones and found them to be just fine/unusable? Are there idiosyncrasies with these such as drop-outs or less compatability with general players? Please let me know before I order a hundred or so of the cheap ones!
  2. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Dec 1, 1998
    I bought 20 of these El Cheapo DVD-Rs only to have all kinds of problems with them in my Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD recorder. They aren't worth it, at least not for me. I got six good discs burned (but some I didn't fill all the way) and had 12 failures. I boxed them up and sent them back for a refund. I didn't bother trying the last few discs. Some that seemed fine exhibited problems upon playback, and you have to watch each whole disc from beginning to end to spot all the problems. It takes too much time to watch a two-hour recording only to find that it went bad in the final five minutes. Other times, the discs would refuse to record or would show an error during the recording process.

No, I don't think the problem is my player. My E20 has worked just fine with Apple, Panasonic and Imation brand discs.

The $4.95 Apple brand discs are a better deal. I ordered 15 of them, and I have burned them all with zero problems. Must order more today!

Good luck. If you are not using the E20 with these discs, they may work for you.
  3. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Jun 20, 1999
    I too had terrible luck with single-sided $2.95 DVD-R's. On the other hand, I've had very good luck with the double-sided DVD-R's from the same source. I've only had 1 out of 23 double-sided DVD-R's fail. I too am using the DMR-E20.