What's new

Anyone Had Back Fusion Operation? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I'm wondering how things progressed for you if you've had the operation. I had one fusing L3,4,5, with instrumentation (screws and rods) holding things together. I had the operation to alleviate leg pain and foot numbness. I could not stand for more than two minutes at a time without extreme pain in my left leg.

It has been six months, and my leg and foot are fine, but my back is still in a great deal of pain, and anytime I lift anything remotely heavy, my back bothers me for days to weeks.

What has been your experience? Thanks

P.S.- I'm asking here because I know if I go to my surgeon, he'll take 3 $275.00 x-rays and say everything looks fine.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
My father's condition sounds identical to yours. He was given a choice of:

1) Fuse bones for comfort in a standing position only.

2) Fuse bones for comfort in a sitting position only.

3) Do nothing and live with the pain (not be able to stand for more than 2 minutes)

He chose #3

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Why not find a great chiropractor? Mine uses DNFT, a non-cracking technique, and It's amazing what can be put back into health. I'm sorry that you had a heavy time, I hope you are feeling better; but If you are pondering surgery, I'd at least consult with a few chiropractors for advice. Take care,

Kevin Farley

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
James,

Somehow, someway I urge you to find an APRIL 8 copy of The New Yorker, in which physician/writer Jerome Groopman surveys the spectrum of back fusion/pain protocols in today's medical field.

No spoiler to say it looks somewhat bleak; i.e., no magic cure, and pain persists for most patients.

As a physician, Groopman (whose interest is that he had back surgery some time ago) he is not hesitant to be critical of the surgery.

In the end, he describes another treatment approach with back-strengthening exercise programs.

If you have difficulty finding this article, I'll send you the copy.

bill

In response to Pamela's post below, the article may give pause to someone considering MULTIPLE surgery.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Why not find a great chiropractor?
OH MY GOD, NO!! That's the absolute worst thing you could do after a fusion! :eek:
I haven't had a fusion, though I've had a lumbar laminectomy. I will most likely be "fusion material" at some point, but I'm trying to hold out for the artificial disc. Most people I know with fusions take up to a year or more to completely heal. You've had some major work done, so it make take a while.
Best of luck to you. And stop lifting heavy objects, for Pete's sake!!!!
P.S. I read the afore mentioned article on fusions, and while enlightening, I don't think it will do much good for someone who has already had fusion surgery.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Pamela, I wasn't referring to the one who got the fusion, but to the one who was considering it. In my experience, (which isn't total, but bear with me), the fact that there is a great body of knowledge concerning realignment of the spine, in addition to yoga, which has created many healthy backs from unhealthy ones, certainly should inspire one to look into it vs. just running to your local hospital. After my chiropractor fixed a very painful rib dislocation, I wondered out loud to him about "what happens to the people who aren't aware of/afraid of chiropractic?" And he said that well, you can pretty much tape it up and suffer. A 5 minute painless, non-cracking adjustment fixed my problem for good. gone. no pain. never recurred. If this person is considering spending 20k on surgery and a hospital visit, I think at least a few 50 dollar consultations are worth the investment.

regards,

Kevin Farley

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks