Anyone had any experiences with the Bose Wave Clock Radios?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Swartz, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I'm looking for a stylish yet practical alarm clock (contemporary design) and am thinking of buying a Bose Wave Clock. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with them? Thanks!

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The one with CD is awesome. It is stylish, sounds great (for a clock radio) and has hard-to-find features such as variable snooze.

The only drawback -- it's $500.

3. Daniel Swartz

I was actually looking at the radio-only one since I don't use CDs anymore (I transferred my entire collection to mp3). Bose basically price-fixes so the price is the same everywhere but they offer a no interest 12-month payment plan which is nice. Besides the CD, does the CD version offer anything extra over it's radio counterpart?

4. Brian Perry

I'm not positive, but I don't think so.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

6. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I've got the Bose Wave Radio/CD. Nice piece of equipment, but the only difference between it and the basic radio version is the CD player, no other added features. And although this thing is nice, it's really not $500 nice, but I didn't buy it--it was a gift.

7. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

That is no where near worth $500. It has 2 tiny speakers and a long plastic tube. It probably costs $5 to make it. You are paying for all the marketing and dedicated infomercials.

8. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I have the clock without the CD and it sounds excellent. I am not an advocate for Bose in anyway except for this radio. I wouldn't have anything else.

9. Brian Perry

I agree with Bill that the quality of the Bose unit is very high (I'm talking exterior shell, buttons and display-- I'm not sure of the speaker cone quality, etc.)

I support only two Bose products -- the noise-cancelling headphones and the clock radio.

10. Daniel Swartz

Philip- That's just it, I can't find any similar products in aesthetics and functionality. I see the $40-$100 ugly looking standard alarm clocks. The Cambridge site you pointed me to didn't even sell an alarm clock. The Bose Wave radio is the only product in its class that I can find. I would love to be proven wrong though...

Thanks everyone for the comments. It looks like product-wise, the Wave radio is solid.

11. Daniel Swartz

I saw the radio but I'm looking for a clock radio.

12. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I've listened to the Cambridge, the Proton, and the Bose and the Cambridge, to me, sounded the best by far. Nonetheless, the sound was not enought to justify the price and the thing, again my opinion, was very flimsy. Ended up returning it. As I listen mostly to talk radio, I might end up getting the CC radio, which is supposedly the best by far in this regard and only costs a fraction of what the others do.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

My dad has the Cambridge 88 and it's a really fine piece of equiptment. That little thing can pump out some serious sound! The only drawback is that it doesn't have a clock or an alarm.

15. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I know it is not a clock radio, but these buties (designed by Heanry Kloss) sound WONDERFULL.
    Let's try adding the URL
    Tivoli Radio

16. Daniel Swartz

Well, I just went ahead and took the plunge with the Bose Wave Radio. Many comments about the build quality of the Cambridge units abound on the Internet and, while everyone agrees that the Bose units are overpriced, everyone also agrees that it's a solid product backed by a reputable company with outstanding customer service. The Bose unit also looks better and has a better UI. The 12-month, interest free plan tipped the scale in the end.

Thanks for everyone's input.

17. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Let us know how you like it. A co-worker has been on the fence about buying one and I'm sure would appreciate any input.

18. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Bought the non-CD unit for my parents for Xmas a few years ago and they're very happy with it. It was a simple matter to connect a portable CD player to its AUX input. I tried to get them to try it connected to the audio out on their TV, but they weren't interested.

If space were a major issue for my bedroom system, I would consider one for myself. However, for about the price of the CD Wave radio, I was able to put together a much nicer system that would accept a small subwoofer.

19. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I have one in the bedroom. It's very nice.
    Tivoli Audio has a stereo table radio (two pieces so it really sounds like stereo) but alas it has no clock. However, there is a clock radio coming in a few months. It will have only one speaker (can you really hear stereo lying on your back or side in bed?). The product is not on their site yet but here's a pic:
    [​IMG]
    Tivoli products have incredible sound and tuners, better than either Bose or Cambridge in my opinion (and in the opinion of recent reviews).
    Enjoy your $5.00 Bose!