What's new

Anyone had a CT scan before? (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'm a little uneasy about the direction my health care is going: regular checkup---->ultrasound---->CT scan

Hope nothing is needed after that.

Anyhow, since I haven't had a scan before. What's involved? Someone I talked to claimed you just wear your regular clothes when they put you in the tube. True? How long are you in there? Is it quiet, noisy? Has anyone that isn't claustrophobic freaked out in one? Details pleae, if you'd had the unfortunate experience of one.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I have heard that tattoos hurt during the process.
No they dont, I have a few tatoos and they never hurt when I had catscans.
Catscans are not too bad unless you are claustophobic, then you will have problems. I had to strip down to my underwear.
It is noisy and you have to be still. You are basicly inside a long narrow tube. I thought it was pretty cool because I got to see what my brain looked like. It was pretty impressive. My brain that is:D

Jim_F

Screenwriter
The only discomfort I experienced when I was scanned was due to the fact that I was strapped to a board as a precaution (I had done a faceplant from a bicycle)

All was well. I wasn't all that cute to begin with.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Were you given the results right away or did you get them from your own physician a few days later? I assume the results have to be reviewed by a radiologist or someone.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
In my case, a radiologist was able to tell right away that there were no fractures or bleeds, so it was safe to take me off the board.

A more extensive diagnostic workup, or one that's not done in an emergency situation might take longer to assess, I suppose.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
How are you going to know if you have a brain cloud without a cat scan? You can't trust the doctor to just know. He says you have a brain cloud, but can you really trust him? He might be lying, trying to get you so melancholy that before you know it you are agreeing to jump into a volcano as a human sacrifice. That happened to a friend of mine! Actually, I saw it in a movie, but it seemed plausible.

I'd get the cat scan.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
When I went, (checking out my lungs) I had no problem. But, then I survived 72 days underwater, in a submarine, so, claustrophobia is not one of my problems.

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

It sounds as if some are confused.

A CT/CAT/Computed Tomography Scan is where you lie on a bed that is part of the machine. It moves you in and out through the machine which is shaped like a donut. I'd say the whole thing is maybe 2-3 feet deep.

A MRI is the inside a long tube test where most people have problems with claustrophobia (if they are going to).

It sounds like the poster in question had an abdominal US because it is quick, and cheap and easy to be used as a screening procedure. They obviously saw something that concerned them, thus the CT scan which is more expensive and superior for the most part than an US.

A CT scan generally makes whirring noises, nothing too loud from my experience. There is no problem with metal piercings/fragments/implants/iron containing tatoo dies, etc.

A MRI is louder. It frequently bangs and knocks and sounds like something is broken. IT is magnetic resonance imagining, thus any of the above metal issues are a problem. Some can be dealt with, some not.

Lastly, unless you came to the hospital via the emergency room (and don't get me preaching about the people who come there for nonemergencies) or your doctor and perhaps a radiologist is there, I would not expect your results the same day.

To answer a few other questions...

generally they will put you in a gown.

You may or may not have an IV placed for IV contrast.

You may or may not have to drink oral contrast, which is not exactly flavorful.

You may or may not get rectal contrast, inserted as you would expect.

The scan itself generally takes less than 10 minutes, though the whole setup process, which involves some scanning and orienting of the machine, make the whole thing take 30 minutes to 1 hour sometimes. This is greatly extended if you have to drink oral contrast cause you have to let it pass through your gut. We generally wait 3-4 hours for that.

You do have to sit still. The machine will sometimes tell you when to breath and not breath, but that is usually for a chest CT.

Is there more in store for you? Well, if they find something wrong, probably. But since I don't even know what is being scanned, it is hard to speculate.

Chris

ED doc sick at home from that cute brat with a fever

Michael*K

Screenwriter
All this because of what I thought was simple case of heartburn. Geez!
You're right, Chris. I had an abdominal US which showed an enlarged spleen. Bloodwork also showed one of the liver enzymes elevated, so they want a closer look.
I knew it was one of the machines that made a knocking sound. What's the differences between the MRI and CT as far as imaging quality? If MRI produces clearer results, I can only assume that cost is the main factor in ordering a CT over an MRI.
I was called today and asked to be there an hour before my scheduled time on Sunday. I don't know if that means I'll be getting some cocktail beforehand to "light me up" or not.

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I had a CT of my sinuses last year before having surgery on them (sinus endoscopy/septoplasty). It *is* just lying on a bed and being moved back and forth through a big ol donut. No biggie. I was acutally pretty amazed by the whole thing...
Also, I know where your going with the heartburn. I've been there myself and had to have a esophageal endoscopy. I have a hiatal hernea. One prevacid a day and life is good. :)

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
In regards to differences between imaging of a CT and MRI, I'd defer technical questions to someone else.

Generally speaking, CT's are great with bones, blood in the brain, blood/fluid/air in the abdomen, or masses pretty much anywhere. The shades of gray are related to the density of the material.

Now MRI I know less, but it has something to do with stimulating electrons or something and reading the resonance they give off. MRI's are better at looking at/differentiating tissues, looking at ligaments, the spinal cord. That's what most MRI's are for.

Chris

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Well, the scan itself wasn't too bad. Like Chris said, just a bunch of whirring sounds. The machine itself is like a big donut. I had to be passed through twice because the first time was too fast (isn't this all computer controlled?) The bad parts: Having to drink a quart of metallic tasting kool-aid crap that's had me running to the bathroom constantly for the last 12 hours. Also, they gave me an IV contrast. As if the fact that it immediately felt like I'd be unable to control my colon when they injected it, I had an allergic reaction to the IV fluid. A big puffy welt formed next to my lip. A doctor had to come check me out and I had to sit around for 20 minutes or so so they could make sure I wouldn't stop breathing. Anyhow, the welt went away in 15 minutes or so. Now comes the killer...waiting for the test results. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks