Anyone got the R2 Futurama box set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brecher, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Considering making this one of my rare R2 purchases. Heard a few good things from some R2 sites, but as yet nothing from trusty HTF members. Anyone?

Dan (UK)

2. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Well kiss my shiny metal ass! I forgot all about Futurama coming out. There's £30 more to the 'ol DVD budget this month [​IMG]

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Came out on Monday. Nice set by the look of it, but £30 now when a future R1 will likely cost me £20 something on import it's hard to decide. I do love the show to bits.

Dan (UK)

4. Steve_Taylor

Steve_Taylor Extra

Dan,
    I would wait for the US release OR then again I would buy the PAL release as the NTSC slow down in speed would annoy me if i was used to watching the show on PAL television, that's if you've got sensitive ears! [​IMG]

5. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"...the NTSC slow down in speed..."
    ...that's why I just love the internet: I learn something entirely new every day ! ! !...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

In the words of Buzz Lightyear.....Your'e mocking me, aren't you? [​IMG]
    Well I gave in and got it today. TV is the only thing I give into occasionaly with R2 (gah I feel so filthy!), and oddly its always animated stuff (Dilbert, Family Guy, now this). Don't like the box, but still, nice presentation for the shows.
    Dan (UK)

7. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

8. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

9. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

With the suggestions to wait for the R1 release you'd think it had already been announced. I didn't miss it, did I?

It could easily be two, three, or more years until we see that elusive R1 release. For me that makes it simple: R2 it is.

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Futurama was a mix of both traditional 24 frame a second cell drawings which were scanned and colored digitally in the computer where additional animation effects where done.

I notice speed up but only if I have something to reference to (though with feature films even if I have no reference I will only go NTSC). In Futurama's case I've seen in the the US about 3 times. The rest, over here on Sky... Of course, I would always go the R1 route when I can, but for TV (cartoons) when the're no option (Dilbert, Family Guy, Futurama..etc) then I break my rules and go for it.

Pretty sure it'll hit R1 this year, I don't really think so much work would have been put into the set (and it IS agreat set) JUST for other regions to have years ahead of the US. Whenever an R1 comes and I own the R2 of a show (and it was filmed with 24fps elements) then eventually I will replace it. Neil, I remember Digital Bits saying a while ago that season 1 was being prepped for R1 for late 2002.

Dan (UK)

11. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I bought it, my first R2 dvd, now I understand what everyone was saying about the 5% speedup on PAL to NTSC conversions in DVD players that do it (malata 996)

I was noticeable but it is a small price to pay to be able to watch futurama without it being preemted by a football talk show

Now all I have to do is have my parents order me a multi region TV out of the armed forces exchange catalog and I can watch in pal also