What's new

Anyone got THE BEAST WITHIN or THE HOWLING yet? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I'm really looking forward to these two. Anyone get them early? How are they from a technical standpoint (audio/video, etc)?

Will K

Screenwriter
I picked up The Howling a few days ago at Best Buy. Honestly, I was expecting the worst since reading a while back how the original negatives seem to have been lost or destroyed long ago by Avco-Embassy and their sloppy storage habits.
Though the image isn't spectacular and by no means a great way to show off your home theater system, it's much better than I expected. The movie has always looked a little on the soft side to me and I think that comes from its early 80's origins, but the transfer is colorful and crisp at times and a little dark and grainy at other times. Not great, but not bad. Certainly worth $10 if you like the movie. There is only a trailer, but I've read on another forum MGM may be doing a SE on this in 2002. Who knows?
------------------
unratedbanner.JPG

"We'd better not risk a frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur 93.2 AD

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I'm glad I still have my Laserdisc. Lots of extras (Joe Dante commentary, etc.)
Reed
[Edited last by Reed Grele on August 29, 2001 at 12:22 AM]

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Well... HOWLING fans will be interested to know that journalist Bill Warren spoke to Joe Dante and revealed some info over at www.mhvf.net a few days ago. Dante says a new Special Edition DVD will be released next year, with revised extras (Dante just did a new commentary for it) and a better looking transfer.
Hmmmmm....

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote: I'm glad I still have my Laserdisc[/quote]Has anyone A/B'd this DVD with the Laserdisc? Dante mentioned on the commentary that he thought the laserdisc transfer was the first time he had gotten the film to look the way he wanted and apparently was very involved with making sure they got the "look" of the film right on the laserdisc. I did not notice the DVD was anamorphic until I saw it on the packaging, and the

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Bought both at BB on Saturday. Fell asleep while watching The Howling. As a kid I remember it being more scary. Guess I'll have to watch it again. The Beast Within was entertaining, and for ten measly bucks you can't beat either one no matter what you think of the quality. I thought they both looked okay. I'm not hyper-critical about the video aspect, so it's not an issue w/me. Audio kind of sucks on the Howling. Basic 2-chn. mono. Beast has a decent surround track. Sounded pretty good to me in Neo 6 on my Denon. Bottom line is 2 horror classics at a great price!!
Chris
[Edited last by Chris Madalena on August 29, 2001 at 01:39 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks