What's new

Anyone got Max Payne for XBOX yet? (1 Viewer)

MatthewH

Agent
I would like to hear some opinions also. I only have a couple games and would like to buy this right after Christmas if it is as good as some reviewers say it is.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I have it for PS2 and kind of wished I'd have waited for the X-Box version. Simply because I've read that the graphics are equal to or better than the PC version. Since my pc version constantly crashed, I just wanted to get the game and finish it. The only gripe I have with games like these are the controls!! It's damn near impossible to turn, run, shoot and aim without getting damaged somewhat. When will developers put in support for a mouse and keyboard??

Sorry this doesn't address the X-Box, but just expect some control difficulties.

Michael Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I picked it up Friday. It is amazing. I only played the PC version in store so not sure how it compares. It plays great, looks gread, moves great. No complaints here.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Michael, how does the control scheme work for you? Also, forgive a dumb question, but is this a first-person or third-person shooter? I was thinking it was another FPS like Halo, but in looking at some screenshots it kind of looks like a third-person shooter like Syphon Filter. Can anyone clue a clueless person in on this? Thanks!

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Thanks, fellas.

I was thinking twice about picking this up because my only other title is Halo and I wasn't sure I wanted two FPS', no matter how good they each were. But since Max is 3rd person, problem solved! Hello, Best Buy!

Dan B

Screenwriter
If you don't mind, Shane, I'm bumping this topic up. I'm considering picking the game up this week, and want to hear from other people who have picked it up. Gamespot was very kind to the game in their "Games of the Year" feature this week. Comments?

-Dan B

Greg Black

Second Unit
I'm interested to know if there really were any enhancements made to the graphics engine over the PC version, and what specific upgrades they may be.
It's really hard to imagine it looking better than on a PC running in 1280x1024 w/ 60+ fps :D

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I have Max Payne on the X-box and on the PC. In terms of graphics enhancements there are none. I have a Geforce 3 on my PC and no Max Payne for the X-box does not look as good as it does running at 1280X1024X32 with 60fps+ on a PC. With that said the X-box version is no slouch. It is a PC perfect port with just about every little minor detail tranferred right over. The outstanding textures from the PC game have come over nicely and anyone playing this that does not have a PC should not feel at all like they are missing out because this is THE version to get on a console.
One thing the X-box version does have is the 5.1 soundtrack which is REALLY good. Also the ability to play on a big screen helps too:). The controls have transferred over very nicely on teh X-box controller and after a little "getting used to it" time the controls seem second nature. I also admire the level of customization that was included with the controls such as the sensitivity of vertical and horizontal movement! Excellent job all around!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm in the minority here: I think Max Payne Sux.
For whatever reason, this game didn't connect with me at all. Which, is pretty damn strange because adult themed, blood-n-guts violence, with a strong topic, are right up my alley. But, Max Sux. Of course, imho. :)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Bought it on PS2 for Christmas for my brother, game is amazing. Hate to say it but the only game I enjoy putting in all weapons/ammo code...
The opening sequences are disturbing. Script is being written as well. :)
Dodge/Reg. Bullet Time is great stuff people. Can't deny "the payne."
-Bert

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
Got the game for the XBox and loved it. Played it all the way through in about three nights (kinda short) and really got into the story. Bullet time is as cool as advertised and the controls worked very nicely. Big thumbs up from me, and probably my favorite XBox game. Yes, I enjoyed more than (walks on water) Halo.

Kip

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
BLASPHEMER!
Yes I know. Disparaging remarks about Halo are grounds for execution in these parts. For the record though, I think Halo is a great FPS, but not particularly original. Best FPS on a console for sure, but it really screams for online multiplayer. Max Payne on the otherhand was something new. Bullet time truly added a new element to the gameplay and I never tired of using it to my full advantage! But it is a short game, so I'm back to playing Halo. :)
Kip

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I got Max for Xmas...it's the shit!
Graphics:star::star::star::star:1/2 outta :star::star::star::star::star:
The textures in this game are outstanding. Everything looks very much like it looks in real life, walls, doors, furniture and my favorite, clothing. I could have sworn I saw Max's leather jacket on sale at Wilson's leather! :)
On some of the cinematic sequences, where you get to see a good close-up of the baddies (and sometimes Max), I'm astounded at the realism of the character faces. Walls look so dang-nabbit real, it's scary.
The weather effects are excellent. It truly feels like it's snowing in the game.
Audio:star::star::star::star::star: outta :star::star::star::star::star:
The audio in this game is pure movie. Meaning that the voice acting is done and represented top-notch. The sound of the multi-blazing guns surrounding you and popping off left, right..it's amazing. The character voices are right on point and they match the characters to a T. The sound actually moves with you as you turn to blow another enemy away, it goes from right to left to surround left and surround right. Very nicely done! :D
Gameplay:star::star::star::star:1/2 outta :star::star::star::star::star:
The story is riveting, I actually feel his desire to carry on to get to the heart of the matter. The little tie-ins with the TV, letters, notes and interaction with some of the characters is also nice, keeps you in the loop. The game starts off slowly, then it gets increasingly harder as it progress'. I haven't finished it yet (just the first chapter) and it's getting tough.
One of the most fun things to me is the interaction Max has with his environment. He flushes toilets, turns faucets on and off, opens drawers and other objects, blows up gas tanks and shoots out windows. He also blows bottles off the tables, and blows holes in wine kegs with wine gushing out of the hole. Very nice!
Bullet time!!!!! Absolutely awesome!!!! I don't really use it much (now) but when I do, it's great. Feels like I'm in the Matrix or something similiar. I'm not sure what this effect is like on other consoles, but I gotta gut feeling that it excels on the XBox.
The game is pretty linear and I'd like to see more passages and areas that Max can explore outside of his normal 'quest'.
Controls:star::star::star::star:1/2 outta :star::star::star::star::star:
The controls take a little getting used to (for me), but once you master them (about 1/2 hour or less) it comes quite natural. I played some Halo prior to Max and I think the control scheme is exactly the same (is Bungie and Rock Star the same company?) His targeting pointer is somewhat small, but it has an outer radius that it works well within also. Especially with one of the shotguns. :) Funny thing, the shotguns have a helluva range on this game. I can blow away enemies that are over 30-40 yards away! I didn't think a shotgun would be effective at that range?
Overall I'd say Max Payne is a big hit for those who can get into it. I highly recommend it to anyone.
Troy
Bringing the Payne with Max!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks