What's new

Anyone Gone Up Or Down in Hz With SVS? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
What I mean is: Has anyone gone from 25-31 to 20-39 or 16-46
or vice versa, and if so, what were your impressions?

I went from the 20-39PC to a 25-31PC Plus. At very loud volume, the 25-31PC+ does not seem ruffled in any way, but I think I miss the lower bass more than I enjoy the slight (and I do mean slight) bit more punch, or slam. I think I should have gone the other way(the 16-46PC Plus). But, back surgery intervened right after delivery, and I never got to really demo one against the other before the return period was up.

I know it can be tuned down to 20Hz, but I figure that is not as good as getting one already tuned to it by design.

I guess I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has experienced ups or downs in the various tunings available.

I will also say this: Either one trounces all of the other subs I've heard (I have not heard the big servo models from Paradigm or Velodyne, though). So don't misconstrue this to be an anti-SVS thread, because it is not.

I can understand that anyone with a 25-31 would be thrilled after putting it into their system. But I think I was spoiled by the 20-39's lower extension. I should add that my room is only 12x13x8, so the extra output of the 25-31 is probably superfluous, but that's the kind of guy I am.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I know it can be tuned down to 20Hz, but I figure that is not as good as getting one already tuned to it by design.
You are correct there, I asked Tom at SVS that question before going with my dual 20-39CS+'s. I can't help you with the other questions because I went from a 20-39CSi to dual +'s. Good luck and sorry to hear about your back, I hope it gets better.

John Doran

Screenwriter
i have the B4+, and when i tuned it down from 25hz (all ports open) to 16hz (two ports blocked), i noticed a significant filling-out of the bass - having all that tactile infrasonic stuff really, really adds to the listening/watching experience, at least for me.

for my money, there's just no substitute for flat, loud response well below 20hz.

- jd

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
for my money, there's just no substitute for flat, loud response well below 20hz.
Amen again. :)

I have an original SVS 16-46. Meaning; it was order number 318 (I think) and was of the original 3 models. I upgraded the driver last summer and improved it's ridiculously deep bass even more.

Using the Avia disc, when running the freq sweep, my DefTech BP3000tl's just start to give out in the upper 20's. When the sweep stops at dead bottom 20, they're putting out on the low side of the SPL meter.

When I hit 20hz with the SVS, the SPL meter is absolutely pegged!

Keep in mind, I calibrated everthing to 70db before I started. The SVS wasn't given anything "extra".

It's just amazing that I have to run my 3000's as "small" because their 18", 1000watt drivers can't match my 12", 60 watt (right?), SVS.

Talk about superior design, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread