What's new

Anyone gone mirrorless? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the link to the article, Sam. That is a fascinating story. Woodford's quote in the last line of the article says it all -- “I was ready to run a health-care and consumer electronics company,” he says. “I had no idea I was walking into a John Grisham novel.”

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My NEX-7 is for sale if anyone is interested ;) I barely use it.
Cause the NEX-5n is so good!
It remains my favorite little cam for walkabouts and ESPECIALLY concerts.
You can't use it expecting to make ultra sharp images every time but with the right lighting and a little luck you can make some very nice concert pics. And they never bat an eye at it thinking it's a DSLR...
Yesterday at the Orion Festival I was literally 8 rows deep in the middle of a surging crowd, people were moshing it up, crowd surfing and generally going insane. Then the lead singer of Cage The Elephant decided he was going to join in!

12-Orion-03655 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-Orion-03656 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-Orion-03540 by Kadath, on Flickr
Metallica I was a little too far back to get any real details, but the lasers and showmanship were amazing!

12-Orion-03818 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-Orion-03811 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-Orion-03805 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-Orion-03793 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-Orion-03790 by Kadath, on Flickr
The most brutal picture I've ever taken =)

12-Orion-03556 by Kadath, on Flickr

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Canon's mirrorless is official.
The good: 1.5x crop
The bad: $800
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/canon/announcements/canons-first-mirrorless-camera-eos-m
Dumbasses....

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
Canon's mirrorless is official.
The good: 1.5x crop
The bad: $800
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/canon/announcements/canons-first-mirrorless-camera-eos-m
Dumbasses....
Also add to the bad -- no electronic viewfinder, either built-in or available as as add-on. I hate using a rear LCD screen to compose a shot.
Rumors are that there will be a follow-up "advanced" model down the road that may have an EVF and some buttons for easier manual control.
I still do not have much interest in a mirrorless camera, even though this one will take my Canon lenses (with a $200 adapter). I may eventually pick up Canon's new 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens, though, for a more compact setup when I want to travel light. It's only $200. The lens doesn't stick out much more than the body cap.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Please don't let it be $3000
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/17/sony-rumored-to-be-working-on-a-full-frame-mirrorless-nex-camera/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welp no full frame and no NEX-7 replacement announced today:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/29/3276423/sony-nex-5r-mirrorless-camera
Nice update to the 5 series tho. Love mine, not sure if I will upgrade or not.
I gotta get my mint NEX-7 sold off tho before its replacement is out.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think I must be missing a point here. To my simple mind, the mirrorless systems aren't compact enough, and IMHO you might just as well have a full sized DSLR. I'm assuming that the uptakers of mirrorless systems must find the space saving beneficial, however? Or is there more to this than slight space saving?
I ask this because at the moment I have a couple of P&S cameras for times when I cannot have my full kit with me (a Leica D-Lux and a Panasonic TZ30) and a Canon EOS 650 with wide angle, telephoto and kit lenses (all Canon). I've noticed there's a new mirrorless Canon that can take my EFS lenses. Is it worth considering, or (as I don't personally notice a big space saving) should I stick with my 650?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
andrew markworthy said:
I think I must be missing a point here. To my simple mind, the mirrorless systems aren't compact enough, and IMHO you might just as well have a full sized DSLR. I'm assuming that the uptakers of mirrorless systems must find the space saving beneficial, however? Or is there more to this than slight space saving?
I ask this because at the moment I have a couple of P&S cameras for times when I cannot have my full kit with me (a Leica D-Lux and a Panasonic TZ30) and a Canon EOS 650 with wide angle, telephoto and kit lenses (all Canon). I've noticed there's a new mirrorless Canon that can take my EFS lenses. Is it worth considering, or (as I don't personally notice a big space saving) should I stick with my 650?
I am not that impressed with Canon's initial mirrorless offering. While the camera will handle EOS lenses, it doesn't have a viewfinder, which would be a deal-killer for me.
Personally, if you wanted something compact and wanted to stick with Canon, I would buy their new pancake EF 40mm f/2.8 lens @ $200 and mount it to your dSLR before buying a Canon "M" Series. Or, you could consider the Powershot GX1, which has a fixed lens and a sensor larger than the 4/3rds systems.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield /t/313467/anyone-gone-mirrorless/60#post_3968241
I am not that impressed with Canon's initial mirrorless offering. While the camera will handle EOS lenses, it doesn't have a viewfinder, which would be a deal-killer for me.

Sans mirror a camera can only have a viewfinder based on a digital display (tiny LCD monitor, or so), or on a separate optical system/pathway.

Would either be acceptable to you in stead?

For me it wouldn't.

Cees

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cees Alons said:
Sans mirror a camera can only have a viewfinder based on a digital display (tiny LCD monitor, or so), or on a separate optical system/pathway.
For me it wouldn't.
Cees
For this type of camera, it would be much better than trying to compose a shot using the rear LCD screen. Being an old 35mm film shooter, I am used to anchoring the camera against my head for stability. I've always hated trying to compose a shot holding a camera away from my body with a point & shoot digital camera.
However, as I've said before in this thread, I would rather put a small, lightweight prime lens on my dSLR than use any of these mirrorless bodies for times I want something more portable.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield /t/313467/anyone-gone-mirrorless/60#post_3968404
................... Being an old 35mm film shooter, I am used to anchoring the camera against my head for stability. I've always hated trying to compose a shot holding a camera away from my body with a point & shoot digital camera.

Ditto!

Although, before I got the D700, I had the Nikon Coolpix 4500 for a while (still own it, but it's no longer in practical use) and the swaying part of the body (with the monitor on it) was .... acceptable.

I also own a Nikon D5000, which has an articulating monitor - and it's a good second option. (Certainly in some special cases, BTW.)

Cees

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The size and weight difference between even a 5000 (which I used to own!) and a nex is enormous. And good luck getting a 5000 into many sporting or concert events where the NEX or other mirrorless guys slip right in.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Eurrgh, no! Good point.
Thanks for the other comments on my post. I think I'll stick with my current EOS system. I mainly use it for architectural photography, and so weight etc aren't usually an issue.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
The size and weight difference between even a 5000 (which I used to own!) and a nex is enormous. And good luck getting a 5000 into many sporting or concert events where the NEX or other mirrorless guys slip right in.
For sporting events, I would want the performance of a dSLR and a good telephoto lens if I was in a position where I could get good action shots. If that's not possible, then I would just be taking shots of the crowd, and my wife's small point & shoot would work fine for that -- and it will fit in any pocket, while most mirrorless cameras will not.
For example, I have no problem getting my dSLR into our local hockey arena to shoot the Ontario Hockey League games, and our seats are close enough that I can get some decent shots. However, when we go to a University of Michigan football game, there is no way I'm getting close enough to get any action shots with anything that will be allowed into the stadium. I have taken the p&s to get shots of the stadium during its renovation phase, but usually go sans camera and just enjoy watching the game.
I know these cameras can meet a need for some people, but they are not for me right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks