anyone gone from a sealed to PR'd Tumult

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brad Dixon, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

The Tumult has been out awhile now so hopefully someone has made the switch. For anyone that has gone from a sealed setup to ported/PR's how much difference did it make for movies? As far as music I'm more than happy with it sealed but would like some more low end for some movies. Right now I'm running a Keiga plate amp and the box is ~115 liters.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

Do you have an EQ on it? I run the BFD EQ on mine. They are running in 2.5^3 sealed. You can program 2 profiles for it, one for music, and one for movies. Giving it some boost in the 25-30 Hz range for movies seems to work great for me. Actually, I have to turn the amp down some while watching most movies!!!

Brian

3. Nat Ward

Nat Ward Agent

I've gone from a 2.5ft^3 sealed to about a 4ft^3 PR'd Tumult (21" incternal cube minus volume of driver, PRs an amp), and I'd say the difference was very noticable for movies. I too am using the Kiega plate amp, and I'm using the 18" 2500g Stryke passive radiators. The PR box was what I had planned all along, but since this was my first real project, and my first time using a router I thought I would build a simple sealed box to get a hang of things. It was only 3/4" single layer MDF, and didn't have bracing on the inside, but at the levels I play it in my apartment I'm not sure if that will have noticable affect. The sealed box was great for music, and a huge step up from my Paradigm PS-1200 (big surprise?! [​IMG]). I'd gotten used to it for a month or two before I decided to tackle the PR enclosure. Once I got building I finally realized how large this thing is, and became a little nervous. That passed as soon as I fired it up! On music I'd say it is just about on par with the sealed box for clarity and tightness. I am more of a rap/rock/alternative guy though, so maybe my taste in music might not really be worthy of a great comparison, but when I swapped over the PR box I didn't notice any decrease in peformance, and some of the lower notes (mainly rap/hip-hop music) started to come through. I'd always liked the sealed Tumult for movies too, but going PR'd made a big step in my opinion. Not only did I hear all of the explosions and effects, but I realized my feet were vibrating when propped up on the coffee table [​IMG]. There were scenes that I'd played plenty of times before that just sounded better and more solid with the new enclosure. After two days of listening the practice box went in the dumpster with no regret. Don't get me wrong, both designs sound great and would make most people happy, but if you've got the space and money go with the PR design. I'm really happy I did, I can't imagine needing anything more at this point, it is absolutley amazing for music (in my ears), and movies are just sick. Just for supporting info I'm running it along with Paradigm Studio 60 fronts, Studio CC center, Studio 20 rears, all powered off a Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1095 combo. Hope this helps, shoot me an email at [email protected] if you want any more info or have any more questions. Go big [​IMG]
    Nat

4. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

NAT, did you happen to get an SPL reading from the sealed box? I have 2 10's in a 4cuft box now and I love it. I would like to get lower but I like the passive bass I can get from a sealed box. ported just isnt to my liking. I was wondering why you made your sealed box so small. I would have put one tumult in a 4 cu ft box. also, what type of amp are you using? I was wondering if a 200 watt amp would be sufficient.

5. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    No at this time I don't have an EQ on it. I was looking into a BFD but never got around to buying it.

Nat,
    I'm glad to hear you're happy with the switch. That gives me some incentive to build a new box and give it a listen. If I could get away with a ported box I'd already have done it just to see.

Thanks,
    Brad

6. Dan Magnin

Dan Magnin Stunt Coordinator

Nat, I'm considering the purchase of The Tumult and am looking at doing the pr'd approach. I'm wondering if you have any pics on your construction of the box?