What's new

Anyone going to see Rush this summer? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wow, what an incredible concert! The setlist was amazing. At maybe half the songs, I was saying, "I can't believe they're doing that one."

They did stuff from Presto, Roll the Bones, Power Windows, and Counterparts- material that is misunderstood and much maligned. They got Tom Sawyer out of the way first, which is so cool. The acoustic version of Resist was wonderful and I hope it makes it to a live album someday.

:emoji_thumbsup:
Edit: I didn't consider spoilers because I was only going to post the albums the songs were from, but then I forgot that and so forth...
Oops.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
My comments on the setlist:
I have to admit, I'm kind of disappointed with this setlist. As painful as it is, I realize they kind of HAVE to play Tom Sawyer...but Roll The Bones, Distant Early Warning, New World Man? And please don't play 2112 unless it's in it's entirety! Oh well...at least it gets better after that, and even bad Rush is still good. :) Glad to see Vital Signs and Natural Science on there...as well as By Tor.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Mike B., Evan S et al.:
Mike! Heed your own advice, man! :frowning: [rant]PLEASE put any and all mentions of songs in spoiler 'shadow.'[/rant] I should have known better when I saw the thread--I just saw a few things I could definitely have done without seeing.
Be that as it may, I have my plane/concert tickets for Los Angeles (Sept. 23); Irvine, CA (Sept. 28); Phoenix (Sept. 27) and Vegas (Sept. 21).
Plus there's George Strait in San Jose on Sept. 20.
Gonna be quite a spree. :D DVD-buying will have to be placed on hold . . . and right about the time the Black Hawk Down: SE comes out, too. Grrrrrr.
Cheers,
Paul

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Liked the set list, but...

I was hoping that since the new album has Part IV of 'Fear', that they would play all the songs in this, uh, quadology.

That would have been worth the ticket price alone!

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I saw Rush over the weekend and I have to say that they were fabulous. What a lot of energy! It's amazing that only 3 guys could make all that music. They looked like they were having so much fun on stage. Made for a great show.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Just bought tix for the Aug 24 show in Denver. Wahoo!

NP: Yes - Keystudio (concert tonight, baby)

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
Mike Broadman,

You asked if anyone saw them for the last tour in Chicago. I was at that show and it is kind of funny because my dad kept bugging me all the previous tours about going so I took him to this show. When the DS CD came out I bought it for him. He was pretty excited. He was 67 at the time we went.

This past weekend show was really great. I am looking forward to seeing them again a few more times.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
There are a few heros that I blush, when I think about how much I was in to them. Angus Young (when I was 11, I thought he was the best guitar player in the world, I wanted an SG and one of them board-school suits). Then there was Alex Lifeson, he played a double-kneck so I thought he was twice as good :) I remember staying up to A.M learning Passage to Bangkok and other songs. I painted my room blue and had 3 huge! Rush Hemispheres posters, with anatomy models hanging from my ceiling, In my young head I thought these guys were the Gods of Rock , they always hold a special place, no matter how snobby or mature my tastes gets, to answer the question, I see them every year! They will never lose their cool in my eyes. I'm seeing them in L.A of course

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone see the Cincy show last night? Holy crap, was that an awesome show. I saw them in Chi-town a couple weeks ago, but this, I felt, was much better sounding and I could not believe how relaxed they were.

We got 6th row on Alex's side and that was really nice. My cousin and I are going to see the Pitt, Columbus, and Indy shows this week so that should be fun.

Brian O

Second Unit
Got tickets for the Irvine, CA show 9/28 just to the right of the mixing board. I had the same vicinity seats for Boston in '95? at Irvine too and they were perfect.

Looking forward to it!!! I have seen Rush once before in '85/86 at the now removed Pacific Amphitheater in Costa Mesa. That was a nice venue, but just too close to the residential and it was shut down.

Nate Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm seeing them this friday :) I'm not a huge fan, but they are pretty good. I should enjoy it :) I have pavilion seats, so it will be good.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Nate, you mean you don't "love or hate" Rush? Wow, you fly in the face of conventional wisdom, living proof that one can simply enjoy Rush. :)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Well, one more day until I see Rush. This will be the 15th or so time I've seen them dating back to the Power Windows tour. I still get stoked every time I see them. Can't wait!

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Nate, you mean you don't "love or hate" Rush? Wow, you fly in the face of conventional wisdom, living proof that one can simply enjoy Rush.
I love this statement. I've been a Rush fan for so long I think I've actually gone from loving Rush to simply enjoying them. When I was 16 and I saw them I thought they were the absolute gods of rock. Now I just appreciate them for what they are; an incredible rock band that I thoroughly enjoy.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Caught the show last night (8/21) in Albuquerque.
Way cool, but I have to say, these guys were LOUD. And let me say this, I know from loud. I am of the correct age to have seen Sabbath (still with Ozzy) in '78 (front row, with a then unknown openning act called Van Halen?), Ted Nugent, and Rush in the late '70's and again in the early '80s.
Rush last night were right up there with all those shows of the past. Maybe it was better back by the sound board, but from where I was, it could have stood to be racheted back a notch. And Alex was usually too low in the mix.
We were almost dead center, about 10 rows back.....a great view. And what's with the Pyro? I thought it was very cool, but I don't recall any pyro back in the day. Their stuff would have gotten a seal of approval from Kiss!
Interesting song selection....some stuff I did NOT expect to hear, and some stuff I wanted to hear but didn't. I guess its tough to pick from an almost 30 year catalog.
As usual, the muscianship was above reproach. How these guys can stay locked togther on a song like YYZ is amazing.
And as former bass player, current hack guitar player who considers himself an equipment geek, where does Geddy get his way-cool, tripple stack, coin operated, spin-dry bass rig. Man, that set-up rocks :D
BL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks