What's new

Anyone going to see Rush this summer? (1 Viewer)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I'm going to see them at Pine Knob, um I mean, DTE Energy Music Theater on August 11th. Anyone else going to catch them this summer? How was the show?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I've been to about 25-30 Rush shows in my lifetime, and this year I decided to go all out and see them in their hometown of Toronto, Canada for the first time. July 17, Molson Amphitheatre.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
If/when they do a European tour, I'm so there. Until then, no, I'm not flying over the pond to see Rush.

I have seen them 3 times on this tour. I saw them in Charlotte, NC, Virginia Beach, VA, and Raleigh, NC.

They were excellent!!! Many surprises.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I saw them 10 days ago in Hartford, CT. I loved the show, they played for 70 minutes, took a 15 minute break and came back for another 100 minute set.
They opened the first set with Tom Sawyer and played all their big hits (and some obscure ones). My only regret is that I have never seen them live before and they didn't play my favorite Rush song of all time....Subdivisions:angry:

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I'll be there too. A bit easier for me though since I actually live there...:)
For those who have seen them, what are some of the surprise tunes? I heard that tracks like Natural Science and Hemispheres were leading fan voting. That would be, like, keen...I'd prefer a bit more variety than hearing "the big hits" again (not that I'll complain or anything).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Please put set lists in spoilers. I prefer not knowing any of the songs going in. Thanks.

They did do Natural Science on the last tour, much to my pleasant surprise.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Oh, I would love to see this tour in So Cal if they come here. I can remember seeing them when Hemispheres was released. At the International Amphetheater in Chicago, they rocked. I won a local radio station contest for designing a banner with the radio station (The Loop FM98) welcoming them to Chicago. Nothing like hearing an amphitheater full of people cheering for your banner! I won the entire Rush catalog of LP's up until that time. Ah, those were the days :)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I am leaning against it right now (I think their latest album is terrible), but if I heard they were going to do Hemispheres in its entirety, I'd be there in a second!

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I am leaning against it right now (I think their latest album is terrible), but if I heard they were going to do Hemispheres in its entirety, I'd be there in a second!
I've seen them at least once on every tour since Grace Under Pressure and I'm still excited about seeing them this time around. They always put on a great performance.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Mark, thanks for the spoiler. :)
I am brimming with anticipation for tomorrow. Fortunately, I have Project/Object (playing music of Frank Zappa) tonight to hold me over.
My concert weekend:
Thursday (tonight)- Project/Object
Friday- Rush
Saturday- Chucho Valdez (Cuban jazz pianist)
And talk about good timing- my girlfriend is away for the week and won't be back until Sunday, so I don't have to worry about taking her or not and whether she'd like any of it (which she wouldn't). Man, there's no bigger drag than having a cranky gf to spoil the groove.
Did any Chicago Rush fans see them on the last tour? For the Different Stages live album, most of the performances were taken from that show. That must have been one hell of a concert.
NP: Frank Zappa, Return of the Son of Shut Up And Play Your Guitar, CD

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
In case anyone is interested, here is the setlist from the first night.
]Set 1:
Tom Sawyer
Distant Early Warning
New World Man
Roll the Bones
Earthshine
YYZ
The Pass
Bravado
The Big Money
Between Sun and Moon
Vital Signs
Natural Science
Set 2:
One Little Victory
Driven
Ceiling Unlimited
Secret Touch
Dreamline
Red Sector A
Leave That Thing Alone
The Rhythm Method
Resist
Overture and Temples of Syrinx from 2112
Limelight
La Villa Strangiato
Spirit of Radio
Encore:
By-Tor & the Snow Dog - Cygnus X-1 - Working Man
Also,
I heard that they switch "Ceiling Unlimited" with "Ghost Rider" from show to show

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I will be there mid August in Albuquerque. My wife works for a sponsor of the outdoor ampitheater where they will play. I am praying they can get us stage passes, but just a decent seat will be cool.

BTW, the current issue of Guitar Player has Alex on the cover. I nice interview, and some background into the recording of some of their classic tracks.

BL

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the set list and thanks also for putting them in spoilers. Sorry, I shoulda asked for that initially...
Yeah, I guess I should wait until Wednesday and be surprised by each new song. Can't do it though! I had to know! And ignoring whether the songs I mentioned are in the lists or not, I'm giddy like a little school girl now...:D

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I'm hemming and hawing over whether to go see them in Kansas City August 1st or wait and catch them in Vegas (baby!) September 21st.... hmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks