Anyone going to Mardi Gras this year?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i've got a friend down at Tulane and i've been wanting to go and visit her...i just needed a ride. well i finally meet this girl from Nawleans here at school and she's letting me bum a ride down this weekend! i am so excited!! i just need a wad of cash (which i just blew on my new 16-46+) plus a handful of beads and i'll be set.
    so who's been before? and what should i expect? [​IMG]

2. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Please understand I'm not trying to rain on your parade, BUT... I've been to New Orleans 5 times, 3 times in the last 3 years. I absolutely love it there, and it is easily one of my favorite cities. I personally have never been there for Mardi Gras, but I do have lots of family in New Orleans, and several very close friends of mine have been there for Mardi Gras (recently). Basically, my Louisiana kin will not go anywhere near Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras, and my friends who went didn't paint the prettiest picture. Massive crowds (duh), and ankle deep in trash that is soaked with beer, piss, and puke. Nice huh? Please keep in mind this is strictly a small part of New Orleans, and that downtown, the Garden district, and other parts of the French Quarter will not be this way.

Tens of thousands of people go there and have a great time. Odds are, you will too. I just felt somewhat obligated to give you "the rest of the story."

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

We went last year for both Mardi Gras and St Pat's Day and this year we'll be there this weekend, from Thurs through Sun. Here is what I recommend. Do not go to any evening parades or to the Mon or Fat Tuesday Parades on Bourbon St unless you are with a bunch of college age guys who want to get really drunk and outrageous. We have young kids who love to catch the beads and see the parade and we watch on Canal St, just in front of Harrahs. Also, the parades that wind through the other areas are fine too. IMO, the best family parade area is in Metarie. Family after family sets up their chairs, blankets and coolers along the avenues which have a center grassy area or Esplanade. The best part of watching a parade on one of these esplanades is that the kids get a shot at beads from each float, twice, once on each side of the esplanade. Anyway, if you do go to Mardi Gras, always be alert and aware of your surroundings and the folks around you, and HAVE FUN!!!

4. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys...I live and work in the thick of it all here in New Orleans...

Mardi Gras has many aspects for many people...I will say this: If you have never been Mardi Gras, you HAVE to experience it at least once. It's a once in a lifetime experience. There are different areas for different people. If you just want to get stupid and see the "sights", the French Quarter (Bourbon Street) is the place. For the family aspect, Metairie, is the area to be in.

Please be safe when you visit, it is definitely a ruckus, but it is also the best party you will ever attend, and it's free to boot!!!! I assure you, you will never see anything like it anywhere.

Thanks

Tim Kilbride

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I wish!!!
    Id be like Al Bundy during Mardi Gras[​IMG]

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    thanks for the tips guys! i'm still really excited...my 16-46+ gets in tomorrow, but i'll only have one night to play with it. [​IMG]
    oh well, i think i'll actually be in a better place! [​IMG]

7. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Thomas, I can count how many times I have been to New Orleans, including 4 New Years Eve's and about 5 Mardi Gras.

My advise, hit Bourbon Street during the day, until about 10pm, after that it's crazy, so if you don't like that atmosphere then there are PLENTY of cool hangouts off the beaten path. If yuo want to see Pat O'Briens, Cat's Meow, ect do it during the day, a ggod time with less mania.

For big night time parades (Endymion on Fri night) I found a spot on St. Charles that has always worked well for me. I can't remember the exact cross street, but it might be Poydras (follow St Charles from Canal in the opposite direction from the Quarter). Anyway the cross street is a double wide street, you want to be on the south side of St Charles and if you make the walk from Canal St you can't miss it. There are food vendors and temporary fencing there for the parades. It's never been too crowded there and if you go about two block south on the cross street there is a small hotel with a bar (on the South East corner of the block) where you can get a drink and (the key part) use the bathroom. You will find that having a bathroom available will be like Gold Jerry.

Sorry that I can't remember the exact street names, but it has always been easy to find when I am there.

Have fun