What's new

Anyone going to get Everquest Online Adventures? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_S

Agent
With the news that Everquest Online Adventures has gone gold...

As a long-time EQPC player (off and on), I was really looking forward to this game. I even got into Beta II. I did not put in alot of time testing/playing, however I did get to play enough to get a feel for the game I think.

It's quite different than the PC experience. Using the controller to chat was fairly excrutiating but the scale of the world and lack of zoning were really impressive. I was amazed that it was able to run off of only the DVD and about half of the 8mb memory card (that's not alot of room for patching/updates). Another thing that bothered me was the way skills/abilities were implemented (unlike in the PC version where they were on a timer but unlimited in terms of number of uses, the skills/abilities were regulated by a little meter just like spells). These things may have changed in Beta III/Launch however.

The thread about MMORPGs on the Xbox got me thinking about how cool Everquest Online Adventures could be with Xbox Live (with voice support!), the Xbox's 8GB hard drive and CPU/GPU processing power. Unfortunately, since Sony owns Verant (which makes all the Everquest games), it seems pretty unlikely we'll be seeing a port any time soon. Verant is also making a version of Star Wars Galaxies for the Xbox but that's probably because it's in conjunction with Lucasarts who probably have the final decision for Star Wars games.

Come to think of it, I would really like a first-person fantasy MMORPG on the Xbox (or any platform for that matter) that had a AD&D license. But I digress... :)

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
I must say that the last thing I want in an mmorpg is voice support, if only because hearing some nasally-voiced freak intone "taste my blade, wretch" over and over might just send me over the edge.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I would Much rather have voice support if I'm going to be playing in a MMORPG on a console.

If I wanted to stay away from the voice issues - then I'd stick with the PC.

Anyways, I will be passing on Evercrack. If I'm gonna jump into one of these things, it will most likely be Star Wars Galaxies.

Ben_Hud

Stunt Coordinator
ya i agree with Jeff_S, as a long time player of everquest with multi accounts I WAS ADDICTED i will be staying away from all eq lines, but ill be happy to get addicted to SWG

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Anyone get this game yet? I'm wondering how the lag is. Any impressions of the game would be appreciated.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone playing this, and have any impressions? I got a copy via the new promotion at EB (buy a network adapter and get EQ Adventures free). I was wondering if I should trade the game, or give it a shot? I'm curious how many people are online and what the community is like.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I've played my character in EQOA to level 19. Cancelled my account before the first month was done. the game is a time sink and at the end of spending your time on it you really cant help but feel unfulfilled.

The primary problem with the game is a lack of anything to do besides fighting. There is plenty of world to explore but you dont really do anything in that world but run around and fight for items, uber-loot and quest items. Speaking of quests, you do get them but they end up being nothing but fetch quests that are really uninteresting. having nothing but quests and fighting would not be so bad if it were at least interesting.

The almost universally maligned by MMORPG'ers, Asherons Call 2 took a similiar approach by creating a world where you mostly quest and fight. The difference is at the very least in AC2 the story is interesting, you play through the game to complete vaults that garner you a new part of the lore/story. (and the quests amount to something more than a simple fetch quest that gets you XP). Not too mention you get an interesting trade skill system to work with. Yes I am the only one in the world that actually cares for AC2:).

Again the problem with EQOA is that there is simply nothing to do. You fight, you level, you fight you level. Your enjoyment of the treadmill is based on how good a group you have. If you get in a good group that plays as a team and likes to chat then youll have a good time. Of course finding a good team is another issue... For the casual gamer dont bother. Solo-ability is not in your cards. Once you get passed 17-18 you best find a group if you wish to level quickly.

Now most of what I said is fairly negative but to be honest I enjoyed myself for the first two weeks. If I had never played another MMO in my life I might actually really enjoy this. For the new MMO player you may get totally addicted. for anyone with any real experience in MMO's youll see this is EQ with half the content.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
So basically, its similar to all the other MMORPGS out there: a big time sink that is fun for awhile, especially if you know good people online.

How is the combat? I've read its a lot more arcadish then the original EQ and other PC games. Are other people online fairly mature? I'm afraid of younger kids playing on a console then on EQ, which was bad enough.

I didn't like AC2, though I cancelled before some of the story updates. The world started out to vacant. It looked like it had some promise, but it'd take awhile. I also found the combat pretty arcade like, with no real depth, and the classes to similar. So far my favorite has been DAoC. AC2 was beautiful though, and I liked some of the new interface elements. The crafting system looked worthwhile as well, maybe a real first in MMORPGs. I may give AC2 another shot as it evolves.

Thanks for the response. If I can't trade it, I may try it for a few weeks. I'll probably get some amusement out of it, until that feeling that its a timesink really hits (which I can ignore for a little while).

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Asherons Call 2: I also found the combat pretty arcade like, with no real depth, and the classes to similar.
You should give it another whirl Scott. I'm not going to lie here, the worlds are still barren and devoid of NPC's (and at times players) but the story line is coming along. Raiding vaults for new portions of the storyline is great fun if your with a good adventuring party and the classes are really nothing alike if you use the skill trees properly.

Right now I have a Lugian Bezerker who can dual wield, put training points into heal and he also has bow mastery. You can create one hell of a hybrid in the game. The fighting at lower level is also very easy but once you start taking on bigger creatures and you pull off a 8-10 hit combo (and up to 18 hits combos at even high level) it gets very satisfying.

If you do decide to send me a /tell and maybe we can hook up in game.

Whats funny is that I can remember a time when I swore I would never pay for a game on a montly basis. Now I'm a total MMORPG whore. I don't know why but I do enjoy these game.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the long reply Romier. I also played on the roleplay servers, and had fun in a good guild in DAoC. I completely agree with you about the roleplaying aspect, and how it adds tremendously to the game. I didn't buy Shrouded Isles. I kept myself from getting it, as I knew I'd ultimately be disappointed. I realized as well how its just a treadmill, that you'll never really get anywhere. I stopped Everquest for the same reason. I think all the MMORPGs are like this. Some people can play them and not get bored possible, but not me.

I may pick up AC2 at some point in the future then. I missed the cities and towns in the game. Granted, the storyline is interesting, and the lack of towns made sense, but the game still felt barren.

I probably didn't level far enough in AC2 to see how the characters developed. Maybe another time.

What I want to know, is why do you have hope for Galaxies? As interesting as the Star Wars concept will be, I have a hard time believing it'll be much more then Everquest in space. My only hope for MMORPGs now is World of Warcraft, as I trust Blizzard to make a fun game. I don't necessarily trust Verant. To many corpse runs to trust them ;-).

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm still playing DAoC and enjoying it. I mostly just duo with a friend of mine. A few months ago we switched to the Gaheris (Co-op) server. I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it but I really am. It's nice to be able to play any of the classes and races and explore all over all 3 realms. The people there seem to be nicer also. Once SWG comes out I'll most likely jump to it. My friend already has it preordered.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
My only hope for MMORPGs now is World of Warcraft, as I trust Blizzard to make a fun game.
Its funny you were mentioning "arcadey" combat in an MMORPG considering that is exactly what Blizzard is shooting for in WOW. Fast paceed "actioney" combat. From most of the impressions I've read WOW is looking to be very "diablo-ish" combat wise. I'll give it a try when released but my hopes aren't very high right now. It looks gorgeus though:)

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Diablo-ish combat, if done right, can be a lot of fun :).

I've stayed away from reading some on Galaxies. In part, as I don't want to get caught up in the hype. What I have seen is that a lot of game has been scaled down already (housing, etc.)

I don't have much trust in Verant to get the character balances correct, etc. I guess I have a bad taste in my mouth from EQ. I'll probably try Galaxies though, as I'm a sucker for the genre.

Users who are viewing this thread