1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone going through a Regression: 7.1 to 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Sep 28, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I am considering a major upgrade to my primary music/HT system but in order to do so must downgrade from a 7.1 capable system to a 5.1 system. I realize that not much is currently gained from that extra rear center channel or two, but on some movies, it adds a bit extra.
    How do all of you feel who have experienced both 6.1/7.1 and 5.1 in your HT?
    Would you downgrade if it meant a real sonic improvement, especially with music?
    Thanks for your opinions!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I was 5.1 for some time and then upgraded to a Yam 2095 which added the front effect speakers. Speaker placement became more important but I really liked the imaging and soundstage enhancement of the 7.1. I moved shortly after that and didn't hook up the front effects for a few weeks and found my soundstage was smaller. Sonically, the 5.1 was about as good.... just not as deep. I did miss the spaciousness of the 7.1 so I rearranged in order to again hook up the extra speakers. I like the dsp functions of the Yam a lot so I preferred the 7.1.
    NOW.... I have gone to 8.1 with the Yam RXV1. This was definitely a step into a little better and fuller system. That being said, now I find that some music and concert dvds actually sound better in regular stereo.
    IMHO, stepping back to 5.1 isn't better or worse, just a matter of personal preference to the soundstage and the processing of the amp. I personally like the fun of changing from 8.1 to 7.1 to 5.1 to 2.1.
    ------------------
    "I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Merc. What type of sonic improvement are we talking and what equipment is involved?
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

4. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

John
    I wouldn,t consider going from
    a 6.1 or 7.1 to a good 5.1 a downgrade. I have a 5.1 Marantz
    SR19 6.1 Onkyo 787 capable of 7.1
    with a separate amp and 7.1 Yamaha
    RX-V2095 and to tell you the truth
    with the software available today
    find no real difference except for
    the Yamaha who's front effect
    speakers do add substantially to
    the front soundstage. As far as
    back surround speakers I have
    tryed none, one and two and found
    in a 16 x 20 room rear surrounds do just fine.
    ------------------
    Jerry

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Martice: I'm thinking about going with the entire Cal Audio Labs CL-2500 setup including pre/processor, video switch and 5 channel amp.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

6. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

John, I have the video switch and the pre-pro all I ca say is you'll be as happy as a pig in sh*t... another user on this forum, Kevin has all three... perhaps he will chime in, I can only speak for the 2 components that I have and all I can say is amazing [​IMG] that is why I'm dying for the amp to complete my set up ( just no coin...)
    Miles
    ------------------
    Miles
    DarkSide Member since(93)

7. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I am slightly different than may on this site, I don't always believe that "more speakers are better"
    think about it this way, by the time you pay for 2 extra speakers and 2 channels of amplication (assuming you are using separates), you could have bought "better" speakers and amps. Most. if not all of the super high end pre/pros don't have the 7.1 (yet). I was really really impressed when 5.1 came out, but 6.1, 7.1, 8.1, and 10.2 don't tempt me AT ALL. and I am a Chronic upgrader (just got my new SVS and 222ES SACD player yesterday).

8. GregJ

GregJ Agent

I just got a new 6.1 Marantz A/V receiver but because of room issues I'll be staying with a 5.1 playback. I've heard very good home theater systems in many configurations and I'm still sold on 5.1 as a sound field. So of the new DD-EX and DTS-ES encoded DVDs have data for a rear center channel so if able I would use mine if I could but it's not a big factor. To be honest most home (and movie house) systems aren't set-up very well so adding speakers is not the fix. Some where down the road in the future we will have adaptive true surround sound systems, they may not be using speakers as we now know them. The entire idea of home theater is just starting and it will change greatly as computer control systems integrate more of features in our lives.
    Greg

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I currently have 6 surround speakers[including 2 back sr],and I would never go back to my "old"[5.1] set up ever.
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

10. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Considering the equipment involved, I have just one piece of advise for you. REGRESS!! REGRESS!! REGRESS!! I remember not too long ago responding to another thread concerning the CAL amp. Well it seems to me that you've decided to go all the way and do a major upgrade concerning your system. First off, this isn't even considered a backwards move. The benefits of 6.1 or 7.1 is minimal when compared to the hardware overhall that you'll be going through so I retract my chant of Regress and replace it with Upgrade!! Upgrade!! Upgrade!!
    Good Luck
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!