Anyone go to the new Cinerama Dome in L.A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_M, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Has anyone visited the Cinerama Dome now that it has opened? I've been reading it cost $14.00 on Friday evenings through Sunday. Mondays through Friday afternoon is a little less $11.00. Valid dated parking only for two hours (of course many films run more than two hours)

On the plus side you get a reserved seat.

"ET" is currently playing there. "Amadeus" opens on Friday, it also opens in Santa Monica where you can see it for $5.00 during the day and parking is free. (Hey, you can buy "Amadeus" on DVD for $14.00)

2. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

I'm also curious too as to how this theater is presenting their films. Jack Briggs, you out there? [​IMG]
    Of course I haven't been there, but the ticket price just makes me laugh. The highest price for a ticket in Canada is $13.50 (at the Famous Players Silvercity/Colossus/Paramount theaters for evening adult admission), but that's in Canadian funds. Do the exchange, and a Cinerama Dome ticket costs $22.30 in Canadian funds!
    Jason

3. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

I saw ET there last week. The parking was free for 3 hours, but the signs for the parking structure aren't that clear yet. And when we tried to pay with credit card, their whole computer system went biserk; it was pretty clear that they just opened. Two of us combined paid 22 bucks, which is really quite heavy an amount.

That being said, the Dome was magnificant. I had never been there before, so this was a great experience. The screen was giant, and the sound was amazing. When the spaceship flies over the screen, the surround sound is stunning. At least when I was there, they played a clip of the history of the Cinerama Dome with old footage from when it was first built to a few years ago. It was cued with Goldsmith's beautiful score Rudy, and it was quite nice to see.

When I was there during that showing, the theater was quite empty, but there sure were a lot of employees. They all seem to be quite friendly, and one of them speaks to the audience before the movie opens. They also don't let people into the auditoriums after the movie has started 5 minutes, so get there on time. If Amadeus is playing on second street in Santa Monica, then I would seriously recommend people give and drive and pay up the extra bucks to see Amadeus at the Dome. The two theaters just aren't comparable, and a movie with so much about music would sparkle at the Cinerama Dome.