Anyone go to a real Hollywood premier...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Mar 8, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am just wondering if anyone has been to a real Hollywood premier and then the after-party afterwards? Just wondering what they are like? Are the stars ever acessable? Not that you would hang with them all night, but, at least come up say hi take a pic?
    The reason I ask is we might be able to get tickets to see the premier of Will Ferrel's new movie "Talladega Nights" and then go to the after-party. I live in NJ and it will be in LA. Just wondering if its worth the expense of a trip out west. My wife is a big Nascar fan and she is hoping some drivers will be there. But, if she won't be able to go near them..its kind of a big expense to see a movie a few days before it opens.

Thanks!

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Just bumping to mention that we are going to the premier. It will be at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. I am hoping someone here has been to one. I would love to hear the do's & don'ts.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I've been to a couple. The majority in attendance are either in the business in one way or another, or jaded critics-- so while, in many cases, the stars are "accessible" they're usually not all that into posing off the red carpet-- and most of the events I've attended found guests talking to the stars but asking for pictures if you didn't know them was in kind of bad taste.

But it all depends on the person and the premiere-- drama tends to be more formal, comedy and family films tend to be more fun and open.

Congrats on scoring tickets though, I'm sure you'll have a good time- and I'd bet there will be Nascar guys there- and at a Hollywood party I would imagine most of them will get a kick out of ANYONE paying attention to them at all (not too many Nascar fans in Tinseltown I'd bet)!

\V

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Thanks Vince. A friend once said. Inside the theater before the movie starts is the time to take pictures with the stars. The after-parties usually don't allow cameras. But, at the after-parties is sometimes the best place to get autographs. Since they aren't usually mobbed.

Just curious, which premiers have you gone to?

5. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    Hmm...well not a premiere IN Hollywood. Recently I won tickets to the premiere of Mission Impossible 3 in Harlem, during the glut of NYC premieres at the Tribeca Film Festival, and the big premiere in midtown at the Ziegfield. It was from Hot 97, the infamous hip hop station in NYC.

We go there early, round 3:30, then around 4:30, we get t-shirts, told to put them on, and are put in the other side of the press pit. A plum area for seeing the celebs. The t-shirts made us look groupie-ish.(and also some Paramount camera people were there, for what I'm assuming is for the DVD, to tell us to scream "mission accomplished!". I shit you not.) We see everyone, Tom (got a nice "jumping on the couch" pic), Laurence Fishburne, Ving Rhames, Michelle Moynahan was there, but I dont recall seeing her on the carpet, Kanye West, various R&B and Rappers, like Keyshia Cole, Remy Ma, Jim Jones, Joe.

The thing that upset me though is that we were among the first to get there but one of the last to get seated, and got one of those atrocious seats way up in the front of the theater, where you have to pan your head to see the entire picture. Still, it was a cool experience to see everyone, including Tom Cruise. Even got a handshake from the man. Hes so cool in person, that I just really can't hate him anymore.

But, he's a scientologist. [​IMG]

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I've never been to a Hollywood premiere, but I've been to a few in Dallas, for movies that were filmed in the area.

I spoke with the woman who played the mother superior in Problem Child--she was very approachable, but she was also a friend of a friend. I sat in front of Judge Reinhold at Daddy's Dyin--Who's got the Will. I got to see and listen to Ismail Merchant at the Salad of the Bad Cafe...er...the Ballad of the Sad Cafe. I never took pictures, but I really enjoyed being around the movie people.

Technically, it was a benefit screening, but I also got to see Jar Jar Binks before anyone else for Star Wars Episode 1. There was a nice party afterwards, but then we paid a lot of money for the priviledge.

At a retrospective screening of The Manchurian Candidate, I even got autographs from John Frankenheimer and Janet Leigh. But that was not a premiere. And Frankenheimer clearly had other things on his mind than signing autographs. Lesson learned: keep a respectful distance.

- Steve

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Got tickets to one in Boston. The problem is, I'm on like reserve lists for these things. So I don't know if I'm getting passes until often the day of. In this case, I just didn't have time to rearrange my schedule.

And now that I'm in Albany for the summer, I'll be gone just long enough to fall off everybody's radar[​IMG]

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Just an update. As I mentioned before the premier is at Graumman's Chinese Theater. I just found out that the after-party will be held in the parking lot of the El Capitan Theater. Which if my Google Earth is right is across the street.

I have heard so many different views on how celebs act at these things...and how these things are handled. I guess I will find out on July 26...when the premier takes place.

9. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I went to the 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' after party at Universal City Walk back in '01. Not on purpose. Just standing there while all the premerie attendees marched by and some dude in the procession just picked my wife and I and said, Hey...you want to go to this party ?
    Gave us 2 tix to get in "the tent".
    Just lucky, if you want to call it that, I guess. It wasn't all that big of a deal.
    It was fun though. Jim Carrey did not attend.

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Thats cool Alex. What was it like?

11. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

It was like a really awesome themed Halloween party with several open bars and everything under 3 tents decked out in Grinch stuff. Fake snow, Thing 1 & 2 walking around, a Santa picture taking area where they immediately threw the polaroid in a snow globe. Ron Howard was there doing an E! type interview. Some stars, Esai Morales, Sharon Lawrence brushed up against me, talk about an actual brush with fame, haha, Courtney Love, several others like that.
    We were just kind of taking it in, sucking down drinks, not really star struck (Sharon Lawrence doesnt really strike you, you know, but she is quite attractive).
    We finally sat down at a table for a while with Jim Carrey's stand in/double. Even though he didnt introduce himself, it was immediately obvious to us because he looked like Jim Carrey and had the same exact body type. He was impressing every gal that was in earshot, you'd think he was Jack Nicholson. We were ambivalent.
    I never actually saw the movie until a few years later. Ironic eh ?

It was quite fortuitous because we planned on attending a taping of the Drew Carey show and were too late to get in the line, actually we got in line and they cut the line about 5 people in front of us, so we lowered our heads and said, lets just go spend some time and have a drink up at the Universal Citywalk, and when the procession went from the premerie screening to the party, we, like hundreds of others, made a channel, if you will, while all these stars and such walked by. Lo and behold, that guy just singled out my wife and I, it wasnt like anyone else were getting in or getting plucked, we were just lucky. One of those, when one door closes, another one opens type of nights.

Then we saw Jim Carey on Leno on the next night (might have been the previous night, cant remember). That was a hilarious riot and a ton of fun.

12. MandyHan

MandyHan Stunt Coordinator

I've only been to premieres in DC. Before Abramhoff caused problems, I was able to get lobbyists tix to the Batman Begins and Harry Potter IV premieres. I also walked through the red carpet of stealth (thinking that Sith was still at my favorite theater) and made Jessica Biehl laugh.