Anyone getting the HK AVR-235?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DorianBryant, Nov 30, 2004.

1. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I sold my Panny SR50 and even though I loved it, I wanted 7.1 and DPL IIX. Was going to get a couple used amps but found the 235 for $349 delivered. The 230 is still selling for that.

It has some great features. Anyone else considered this receiver?

2. dan_pet

dan_pet Auditioning

I was giving the H/K a hard look but it's lack of a good automated setup procedure and no video upconversion took it out of my list to buy. But I love the look.

I haven't gotten it yet but I'm going to get a Pioneer 1014 about 450, has all the capabilities of the 235, plus auto setup and video upconversion.

3. DorianBryant

I was looking at the 1014 as well. A little more than I wanted to spend. My budget was $350. Looks like a great receiver though. I did not care for the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 I had, but the 1014 is apparently leaps and bounds better.

I love the looks of the HK. I have never tried to use the EZ set and don't use the receiver for switching.

It will be here tomorrow so I will post my thoughts then.

4. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

I was going to hold out and wait for the hk x35 receivers to come out but I couldn't wait at the time and got the 1014 and I have no regrets. An equivalent HK with power and features of the 1014 would be $800+. Only the hk 435/635 have auto speaker and auto eq setups and only the 635 has component conversion. I'm glad I didn't get the hks as I keep hearing the many people are having issues with user settings and overall usability with the receivers. HKs do sound great but it kind of sucks when you're running 7.1 and it always defaults to 5.1 so you'll have to continue to cycle through the modes to use the one you want. The 1014 will remember your last setting for each type of input.

5. dan_pet

dan_pet Auditioning

Dorian,

So how do you like your new 235?

6. DorianBryant

I hooked it up last night. My wife thinks it looks "very 70's" with the silver and black face. I really like the look and of course the blue lights from the volume dial and power switch.

Feature wise it compares well to the Yamaha HTR-5590 I had last year. The HK has numerous settings and the quad crossover and EZ-Set remote made a huge difference in sound. I already had my room wired for 7.1 so i was anxious to truly take advantage of the DPL IIX and try out Logic 7. OSD was nice to have again as well.

As for performance, power is not a problem. I would have no problem taking HK's 50 watts and high current to many other receivers rated 100 watts. The sound is very different than from the Panny SA-XR50. The Panny was very bright and detailed-very clear dialogue but not as good with music.

The HK is by far the best match I have used with my JBL speakers. This really is a good fit for my set-up. Tonight I will try it with a DVD. There may be better receivers out there but I am very pleased with the 235.

The addition of PL IIX is great.