Anyone getting NHL 2003?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickC, Oct 1, 2002.

1. NickC

NickC Second Unit

Anyone plan on getting NHL 2003? if so for which system?

2. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    I was considering getting this for the PC, but have only seen negative things written about it so far. I might wait a while before picking it up.

3. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

If it's even a slightly better version of 2002 I'm all over it, this is one of the best games I've ever played, I've played about a million games of this with my buddies and it's really still as much fun as it was in the begging. Jack up the speed to full and have a blast.

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I'm waiting to see if the X-Box version has been blessed with 16:9 widescreen support. If not, I won't bother.

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I usually go every 2 years with EA's NHL series, I like updated rosters but I find it ok to miss a year. So i'll probably skip this one. Unless it is a huge step up, which is unlikely considering EA's odd year curse [​IMG].

6. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

I will if its widescreen in XBOX...otherwise looking at NHL2k3....I have to get one or the other as I love hockey and havent had any on a platform higher than Playstation...

7. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Most definately picking this one up. The NHL games are my favorite to play. And I loved last years version. They should beable to make it even better this year. I hope they do something about the awful commentary in last years version. I hated those guys. And I will be purchasing the PS2 version. I was told it should be out sometime this week. But I am already going to have to change the rosters, the Avs traded Drury & Yelle yesterday!!!!!! That was a terrible move IMO! [​IMG]

8. George See

George See Second Unit

I am not picking it up....I've played every year since 94 on the genesis....but you know i'm getting sick of it and they don't make enough changes year to year...Every time I play 2002 I find myself craving A more realistic hockey SIM instead of the arcade game with Sim features. So this year i've decided to try Segas Hockey game...I played one of their hockey games on the dreamcast A long time ago And I liked it (never owned a dreamcast so didn't actually buy the game) So i'm going for NHL2K3 or whatever they are calling it. I've just gotten sick of playing basically the same game year in and year out, And i've heard people say that Segas version plays A little more real. Also with the basic gameplay of the EA series never changing I'm too good at the game to really enjoy it...every year I go right to All Star and start winning games with a huge goal margin theres just no challenge in it anymore for me, Untill they remake the series.

If anyone has any opinions on the Sega version i'd love to hear them.

9. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

Sega's 2K3 will probably be my hockey game purchase this year, primarily because of the Xbox Live compatibility. I was tempted to pick up Hitz though...not a sim I know but alot of fun to play with friends.

10. George See

George See Second Unit

HITZ is great....I know i was just complaining about Arcade VS Sim but when I fire up Hitz it's because I want to play over the top arcade hockey. With the EA series i've been looking for Sim hockey And I just haven't been getting it.

11. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

George, you do make a good point. I have been playing the EA NHL games for years and the gameplay is the same. No real big changes. It is very arcade style game play and circus atmosphere which I have complained about in the past. I wish it was more challenging and realistic. I just have high hopes for it due to the big changes in Madden and Nascar 2003. I read Nicks comment

12. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I'm definitely picking up a hockey game for my GameCube but which one is still up in the air.

Any reviews out there yet?

Patrick

13. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

14. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I got a chance to play NHL2k2 last year on the Dreamcast and really enjoyed it.
    It's more like actual hockey than EA is offering as of late.
    I might take a look at the PC version of EA's series this year, but I'm not holding my breath. One thing that really irritates me is how early they release the games. Like Jeff, I had to worry about making trades right out of the box for the Islanders to get them Osgood and a few other players. That to me is incredibly annoying.
    I only wish that someone could make a college hockey game. [​IMG]
    Only one more week until the Badgers take the ice in Madison. DROP THE PUCK!!

15. Dave_Olds

16. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I think Im going to go the Sega route this year too. I've always made the annual EA donation but it seems that there is always the "sure score deke". I never fail to pick up the move that always assures a goal. It's just no fun after that. Last years version was no different and the commentary in the EA game sucked!

17. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yeah, I remember those days. Very fun, very unrealistic. And it was even like that last year. I am all for that, but thats what NHL Hitz is for. I am ready for a very realistic more serious hockey game. Can anyone step up to the plate and make one. Last years version I played the heck out of, but I can't take anymore arcade style play though. The whole feel of the game was just cheesy. I do have to say thought that the graphics were amazing. I can't beleive how real the players faces looked. I have never seen any game that has had that detail. Keep the graphics, get better gameplay and more serious commentators then we might have a worthy hockey game.

18. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Since I have been playing EA NHL since my Genesis days, I'll probably pick it up for Game Cube. Anyone know if it has fighting or blood on the ice?

19. Dave_Olds

There are rumblings that NHL2k3 is trying the franchise mode that their NFL2k3 has in the hockey version....

If that is the case - then its NHL2k3 for me....As I find the franchise mode in the football game very addicting - I am in year 18 and all the created players are useable...mid 70 ratings with a few studs scattered in every draft....I just hope its out soon as I dont have a lot of patience - I really want a hockey game..!!!

20. NickC

NickC Second Unit

anyone get it yet?