Anyone get Xbox to play DTS CDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric F, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

All I get is static. It's not passing through the signal correctly for me with the HD pack. I know I have everything configured correctly in the dash and my receiver.

MS tech support seemed clueless. The tech I spoke to never even heard of the format.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think your problem may be in that DTS on CD is a kludge. It's stored as an analog wave form and not a digital bitstream.

3. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

But it should be able to pass it through. Even $99 CD players can.

4. Jeff Kleist

I honestly bet they didn't think of it

5. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I figure that too, and I already logged a complaint when I called up to asked about it.

It would have been a simple thing to get right, and since they're trying to cater to more affluent folks with the X-Box, especially those with HDTVs and high-end equipment, they should have gotten everything right.

Maybe the fact they own HDCD has something to do with why they left out DTS audio support. Who knows?

6. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info. I can't believe this. Very dissapointing. However, why would you want that type of sound from a CD? When I go to a Doobie Bros. concert they don't sound like DTS.

Thanks for the post though.

7. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

If you've not heard a DTS CD, then you wouldn't understand. It's hard to explain but the music is more immersive. I've only got a DTS demo CD with a few tracks but it's definitely cool. More of a novelty than anything but still cool.

8. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Well, I'd say they were a bit more than a novelty, but the new SACD and DVD-Audio formats have pretty much killed it.

DTS has pretty much jumped onto othe DVD-A format, and are phasing out the DTS-CDs.

They were clearing out their inventory of them a few months ago and picked up 4 of them for $7.50 a pop, less than the standard CDs would have cost. They all have some sort of 5.1 surround, some are better than others, but they all 20bit mastered, a bonus over the regular version.

I just don't have a reliable way of playing them back other than using WinDVD to decode them into two channels. Through my Audigy's SPDIF its pitched too high (not sure why this is), so I was hoping I could use the Xbox. Oh well...

9. Kenn

Kenn Agent

Hey guys.

Was wondering if the Xbox supports DTS out with the optical out? Like using dvds not dts cds. I heard it does, just want to confirm? Cuz the PS2 can.

Regards.

Kenn.

10. Michael St. Clair

11. Kenn

Kenn Agent

Hi Michael.

So do you mean that the XBOX can output DTS soundtrack with dvd-video no problems? Also how does the xbox playback dvd video compare to say medium range dvd standalone players? assuming using s-video output.

Regards.

Kenn.

12. Michael St. Clair

In terms of picture quality, the Xbox DVD player is a very good interlaced player. For interlaced picture quality, it is definitely mid-end, not low-end.

13. Kenn

Kenn Agent

Hi Michael.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering when you say interlaced do you mean composite output and also s-video output? I have a s-video output TV.

So with s-video withthe xbox the dvd playback is as good as which mid end standalone dvd player?

Regards.

Kenn.

14. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

What a shame noone has figured out how to get progressive output out of the XBox. Many of us thought it would be hacked to hell and back at this point. It seems MS protected it much better than was originally thought.

I'm already using my PC to drive my HDTV DVD output at 720p, and I really don't need the 480i. I might have sprung for the extra $30 if we had 480p as originally planned.

DTS CD audio would have been nice. I'm still hoping MS will patch it with a firmware update somewhere down the line, but I seriously doubt it. Oh well...

15. Michael St. Clair

16. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

I remembered this thread and just wanted to bring it up again because I found something new out. I use my Xbox as a secondary DVD in my bedroom system and would have liked to use it for DTS CD's. I finally had a chance to test it out and what I found was that the XBox will play the newer DTS CD's that that also have the DVD audio track. I tested it with the new Queen DVD-audio disk that also has a DTS track. The XBox played the DTS audio track just fine. Just wanted to let everyone know because a lot of the DTS CD's are also being released as DVD-audio disks.

17. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

When talking about the new DVD-Audio (w/DTS) discs, I think

the DTS bitstream still has it's own dedicated recognition

flag, like standard DTS DVD video uses. This bitstream

can have a higher sampling rate than DTS on CD, plus an

over all higher audio bitrate.

..But DTS on CD is "disguised" as a 44khz/16bit PCM

bitstream that a CD/DVD player passes through to a DTS

decoder. All good so far right? But I've heard the Xbox

upsamples PCM CD audio to 48khz. if this is true

it would account as to why an Xbox player would fail to

pass a DTS CD bitstream properly.

18. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Can anybody tell me if my Xbox can play SACD's?

Thanks.

19. Jeff Kleist

Only the standard CD layer, SACD would require them to pay another licensing fee to Sony

And before anyone asks, no DVD-Audio either