What's new

Anyone get the Universal DVD-A releases on Tuesday?? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Wondering if anyone got any of the 3 UNIVERSAL releases that were due yesterday: Marvin Gaye, David Sanborn, Aaron Neville?

If you purchased any, what are you impressions?

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
No one got any of the discs, huh???

Oh well I got the Marvin Gaye- Let's get it one disc. I have listened to it (though not critically) but I can make a few observations.

First of all the 24/192 sounds excellent!! Sounds like Marvin singing in my living room and i'm hearing transient information like I never heard before.

The 24/96 surround...

Well let's say that the resolution is excellent, the mix is somewhat lacking!

I have the Marvin Gaye Collection on DVD-A which has a different mix on DISTANT LOVER and LET'S GET IT ON than it does on the LET'S disc. The mix on LET'S is more ambient mix than it is on COLLECTION. Meaning there is less isolation of tracks more overlapping. Actually hear a lot of Marvin in the rears whereas on COLLECTION he's definitely more front centered. I much prefer the mix on COLLECTION for those two songs than LET'S!

If anyone has any comments on this one or the other UNIVERSAL discs please let us know?

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
That Marvin Gaye is on DVD-A and SACD.

Is one prefered over the other?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I just finally purchased Collection via Amazon Marketplace yesterday. Not having the SACD, even after I receive the DVD-A in a few days, I won't be able to make comparative comments. But I think the general consensus was that differences were minimal in terms of sound quality. They're sourced from the same masters. Personally, I prefer DVD-A when both are available for reasons having nothing to do with sq: I like the bio, discography, lyrics and music video content.

And call me silly, but I also like the packaging form factor that is the SuperJewel: it distinguishes DVD-As in my collection.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah, at least three years. Is your point how old the thread is, or . . .?

I tabled buying the DVD-A of this album because I want to get the Deluxe Edition CD. Every other DE I have (Melissa Etheridge, Bad Girls, and I want to get Diana) has been excellent.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
heh.

IF i wanted to maintain a list of DVDA releases, where would I get info about new releases promptly?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks