Anyone get the Sony DVD/Receiver 50ES? Or the 70ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremyX, Dec 5, 2002.

1. JeremyX

JeremyX Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I have done a search on these untis but nothings seems to come up...must be too new? I know integrated units are not alwasy the best. But my new tv stand cant accomodate a big receiver and other components, so I had hoped that Sony's 'Elevated Standard' brand would be a good solution. Anyone test these new devices out?

Thanks in advance.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, I haven't used the 'S50ES or 'C70ES, and like you, I've seen zero talk about them here or on Audio Asylum outside of initial discussion when Sony announced them. I am guessing that they are not going to be popular on these sorts of web sites since they are integrated components. These components usually suffer from many compromises.

3. JeremyX

Yeah I think you are right. I agree that seperate components are ideal, especially considering my speakers are fairly decent...but I don't want a huge rack off to the side of my tv...I have to keep WAF in mind.

Plus I am getting the new 40" sony that is silver, it would be nice to match up the components, but not necessary...I just don't know of seperates that are slim enough to accomodate the sony stand.

any thoughts...anyone? *sound of crickets chirping*

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, my advice is that you get a new component rack before you make compromises on the basis of space constraints or aesthetics.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm seriously considering getting one or the other for my bedroom TV. If I do, I'll post my impressions.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, if you do get one, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. Have you priced them out? I wonder what kind of discounts are out there. You might want to speak to Jim Oade of Oade Bros., not only in regards to price, but to get his assessment of the quality of these integrated components. I have always found Jim Oade to give what appears to be an honest assessment of Sony products.
    One thing that bothers me about the integrated components is that they do not have analog outputs to enable use of the player section with an outboard pre-amp, receiver, or integrated amp. Sony probably figured no one would want to do it, but I wonder how good the players in those integrated components really are. I'd want to run analog outputs to one of my stereo systems. Oh well. Can't do it. [​IMG]

7. JeremyX

Hi Rachael,
    I will do the same as I have one being shipped to me now.
    Keith,
    I agree with you and I know integrated components can have issues...but isn't the AV receiver an integrated component as well? Pre-amp with amp. And I think the only reason I got on board with this Sony is because of the ES. I am not a die hard Sonyphile, but I have come to respect the integrity of their ES line.
    I posted a question about an alternative solution for seperates in the receiver forum..maybe you could take a look and share your thoughts/expertise. [​IMG]

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, if you look at my equipment lists, you will see that I am a big fan of the Sony ES line. However, I question whether these integrated components will offer ES-quality performance. As a result of my skepticism, I look forward to reviews from you and Rachael, if she gets one.

A/V receivers are highly compromised products in all actuality. The ES DVD/SACD player-home-theater receivers are just further compromised. Getting back to A/V receivers, they are not stereo pre-amps, stereo power amps, stereo integrated amps, surround-sound pre-amps, surround-sound power amps, or tuners. They are all of these combined. Compromises result. Compare a $3000 A/V receiver for stereo music playback capability to $3000 stereo separates. There is no comparison. Of course, there are obvious reasons to get an A/V receiver, and many models do everything well. They just do not handle specific tasks as well as quality separates (stereo or multi-channel) or stereo integrated amps.

9. JeremyX

Well I just got a knock at the door from the FedEx man with the 50es.
    I will have to hook it up and get some testing done. But they would be on my older Energy speakers not the B&W.
    However, initial OOB (out of the box) impressions are promising.
    Unit is heavy and fairly big. It's not a skimpy looking unit at all. I went with the the 50 over the 70 for a couple of reasons. I don't like 5 cd carousels, and I don't care for the very akward LCD remote on the 70. That being said the 50es feels like a solid piece of equipment.
    It looks a tad different than the pics on the crutchfield site. The Metal that appears darker is in fact the same shade as the bottom part. And it is very smooth looking as opposed to the darker brushed look with the pics I have seen.
    The remote, typical of Sony, well laid out, functional and great to the touch...wow, that sounds kind of dirty. [​IMG] Anyways, it's a nice remote.
    To give an idea of the size..it's about 4-5x as heavy as the Panasonic rp82 and at least 2x deeper. Height is almost twice that of the Pany as well. Where the Pany felt flimsy, the Sony feels like an ES product, solid build, classy looks.
    Next will be the real test...sound and video.
    Any requests on testing?

10. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

11. JeremyX

Ha!
    Yeah I had it on delivery. But I stumbled upon this site, AFTER I ordered...so too late to cancel.
    But that's okay. I can't wait to hook it up and give it a listen and viewing.
    Stay tuned! [​IMG]

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan,
    You are quite the sleuth. Well done. I too was thinking that it arrived way too quickly. I was wondering who Jeremy knows at Sony. [​IMG]
    Jeremy,
    Glad to hear the 'S50ES looks good so far. Can't wait for your review. [​IMG]
    You said:

13. JeremyX

Well I just didn't want you to think it was a wimpy component. [​IMG]
    Just cuz it's sleek and sexy doesn't mean it can't have any muscle. But my review will take a lil bit to form. I am exercising patience as I set some new goodies up. [​IMG]

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, hopefully it does have some muscle. You will know soon enough. By the way, what had you been using as a receiver and DVD player previously? What will you be comparing the 'S50ES to?

15. JeremyX

Hi keith,

Sorry never saw this post from you...well, you will laugh and call me names and make fun of my dog or something if I tell what I have now.

I am just now getting into the next level of this...going from LoFi to MidFi, if you will.

Current setup:

Panasonic RP82 (very happy with; but sold)
    Sony DE STR 1075 (groan)
    Energy Take 5.2 w/ 8.2 sub ( not too shabby; but a bit lifeless)

New setup:

B&W 600 series S3's (602.5; 601; 60; LSW 300)
    DVD/Receiver Sony S-50ES

Yes it was the ES and the fnacy silver that grabbed me...see I'm changing my TV and TV stand as well, so ...geez...yes Im retarded to have though this integrated unit mated with the new B&W's would be a good idea...

...much to learn.
    :b

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

17. JeremyX

Thanks Lance,

But between those panasonics and the Sony ES product...I would go with the Sony. panasonic makes good stuff...but the Sony 50es is a fairly solid product for an integrated piece...besides, I think Ihave seen the light and will be going with the seperate receiver and dvd...mid end. thanks tho