Anyone get the Panasonic DVD-RA60 yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Miller, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Looks like this is the replacement for the stillbirthed DVD-RP61, but without progressive video output.
    My primary interest at the moment is comparing the CD stereo analog output quality of this player to the just introduced Toshiba SD-4700 or SD-5700. Some feel that the 5700 with it's HDCD filter will sound better than the 4700. Not sure what the Panasonic RA60 or even the RP91 sounds like as a CD player, or even if they should be expected to sound alike. As of yesterday, the RA60 was NOT listed on Pans web site, although both the Wiz and Amazon list it for sale (although not in stock). Hope it's not another RP-61 vaporware product!

2. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

I think I seen this player at FRY'S electronics. About two weeks ago if I'm not mistaking. They had a couple of them on display. I had to keep looking at the box to make sure what it was. I look at the box and it had both decoders and DVD audio, but no progressive scan. It read DA60 or DA70 something. I thought it was kind of weird though so I never paid it no mind. I was just curious when I seen it.
    Charles
    ------------------
    The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

As I'm in a desparate need of a DVD-Audio player right now, but I don't want to spend the money, I called my salesman today and asked about these. He had just gotten them into his warehouse, but not out to the stores yet. Mine should be shipping out tomorrow, and I'll be getting it early next week. So I can verify its real, and its inexpensive. Other than that I can't say. But I'll be sure and post here once it comes in.

4. Art Miller

Keith,
    I'd be especially interested in it's function as a CD player through the analog stereo outs. I'd like to retire my old Audio Alchemy stuff if this can replace it.

5. Keith Mickunas

Art I'll give it a listen, but I'm no expert on that stuff. The only thing I got to compare it too are my other DVD players (Sony DVP-S3000 and Malata), my low-end Sony CD changer, and my Yamaha RX-V1's DACs.

6. Charles M

I saw at Fry's again for $499. They have had it in for a while.
    ------------------

7. Art Miller

Charles,
    I doubt if what you saw was the RA-60. It is brand new, and no way it would sell for $499. I'm guessing list is more like $300-350.

8. Charles M

Art,
    It may be been priced down right now. As I said before when I can across it the first time, I know I hadn't seen this player before. People are saying it's new, maybe Fry's in San Diego had first dibs. But one thing for sure is, this player looks different than all the other Panasonics that are out right now.
    ------------------

9. Keith Mickunas

Well mine has just arrived. I'm at work right now so I can't play with it yet, but here's a brief run down on the specs.
    Supports DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R(video), CD, Video CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 (32 - 320kbps, no mention of variable, does support directories)
    No SVCD, PAL, CD-G, Photo CD, or Divx (its actually in the book) support.
    It has the following connections:
    5.1 Audio
    Digital Optical (no Coax)
    1 Analog Stereo
    2 composite
    1 S-video
    1 component
    It has 24/192 DACs and 54MHz video, onboard DD and DTS decoders, and outputs 96kHz through the digital connection. Also there is an audio-only switch on the remote and front of the player. The face is a bit busy in my opinion, and includes a shuttle control and 10-key input. The remote is so-so, but not a concern of mine. The overall build quality is what would be expected of a $200 player.
    I'll post more later tonight. Feel free to fire away with questions and I'll try to get them answered in the next day or so.