1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone get the new Dream Theater yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Jan 28, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Mine arrived today from Amazon (not due in stores until tomorrow - gotta love Amazon). I've actually been listening to it for the last few weeks (courtesy of Audiogalaxy), but I'm definitely pumped to finally be getting a "pressed" copy. I don't like to review CDs right after they first come out, because I think it takes at least a year (at least for me) to determine how good it really is. But my initial impressions of 'Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence' are that it is a very solid effort, and I am loving disc 2, which contains the 50(?) minute title track. DT never ceases to amaze me with the fact that they just crank out what they damn well please, regardless of what "sells".

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I just picked up my copy and am currently listening to the second track. The first was cool- love the bass sound and those duet moments. More shall be posted later.

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Scott,

How would you rank it with SFAM or IAW?

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Just picked it up and I'm about to start listening. Be back later.

5. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I plan on getting it on my way home from work today. It'll take a day or two to give it multiple listenings.

6. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Brian, believe it or not, aside from Metropolis (Part 1) and Learning To Live, I was never a big fan of IAW. I do think that Metropolis (Part 1) is the absolute best thing they've ever done, but for some reason the rest of it just doesn't do it for me (LTL aside). As for SFAM, that album to this very day continues to blow me away.

But to answer your question, my initial impressions are that it is better than IAW (which you can probably take with a grain of salt, since I seem to be the only DT fan that didn't like IAW as a whole). I don't think anything could possible surpass SFAM, but disc 2 of SDOIT certainly has a chance to come close. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the long, epic "concept" album.

7. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

A couple of tracks in and Petrucci is groovin'...

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, DT has done it again. I am a faithful follower- this album has reaffirmed my faith.
    Disc One:
    The Glass Prison: Picking up where their last album left off musically, this track kicks the album into high gear with some strong vocals and a classic DT instrumental break.
    Blind Faith: starts off mellow and contemplative, then tensions builds and LaBrie sings his balls off as usual.
    Misundersood: Continuing the flow from the last track; nice atmosphere.
    The Great Debate: DT's first political song; about stem cell research. It's weird to hear these lyrics, but the song is good.
    Disappear: A mellow closer for disc one.
    Disc Two:
    Yep, the concept album. The Overture is a bit awkward since it involves orchestration. I'm assuming all the "instruments" are actually synthesizers. About To Crash is just kick-ass.
    They employ sound effects to good use: hospital sounds, political commentary soundtracks, sirens, and even record scratching?
    A feast for the ears (gosh that's corny).
    If you don't like Dreamtheater, this album certainly won't change your mind. It's got lots of those horrible solos and crazy instrumental nonsense, and LaBrie belting his guts out. Great stuff.

9. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I couldn't agree more Mike. I really like the first disk as it seems to be a continuation of SFaM, in terms of style. Disk two has some very strong moments but I think that overall it'll have to grow on me. You nailed it on the Overture section being awkward. I think that once I get used to the intro I'll be more comfortable with the whole composition.

I love that they had the guts to put together a 42 minute track. However, for me it doesn't work quite as well as A Change of Seasons, at least initially. Then again, I think that aCoS is the standard bearer for the 20 minute plus song so it has a lot to live up to with that comparison.

No real complaints though, it's a great album.

10. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I just got his CD today and i am so blown away! These guys just contiue to impress. I really think its a shame thought as talented as they are don't get the real recognition they deserve. So much garbage out there today thta sells by the bucketloads, while a cd like this gets overlooked by so many. i really don't understand. In the long run though i am still thankful this band is around and making such incredible music for thier fans to enjoy[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

DT doesn't sell well because America's impressionable youth has let today's music business go down the tube. Plus (for the most part) they're less intelligent than they used to be (at least it seems so to me) and therefore get overwhelmed with anything complicated. Plus they're insecure and won't try anything new. That's why all current popular music is the same.

Got the album on the way home from work, really looking forward to hearing it (a lot).

But there are no Texas concerts! I'll either have to drive to Colorado (bah) or hold out and hope they add a stop here.

12. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Definitely a much different experience this time! Man I seriously have to get used to this stuff. Disc 2 sounded like a movie soundtrack at first. Solitary Shell sounds great and made me smile as I listened to it. Definitely not for the average joe blow. Maybe some of the radio edits will convert some people.

13. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Hmm... I'm not sure this album is for me. I have found that, since Images and Words, DT seems to me to get more dense, more technical, and less melodic and, well, musical. I didn't care for most of Awake, and Scenes From A Memory had a lot of great moments hidden in what seemed to me to be a real high-energy monotone.
    I guess if I was 10 years younger, I would still be grooving with this band. But I don't listen to prog-rock as much these days in favor of more simple songwriters like Sam Phillips, Bruce Cockburn, and Rich Mullins. I guess it's my loss.
    So I guess what I'm saying here is, convince me! Sell me this album; tell me what moved you about it. Give me specifics! Help me recapture that awe prog used to give me.

14. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Andrew, if you're looking to recapture the "awe" that prog used to give you, then just give a listen to Spock's Beard.

15. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Tell me which SB album to get.

16. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Oh, such a tough call. Here's the breakdown (in reverse chronological order):

'V' - Their most recent studio album. Might be your best bet because this is the album where they really defined themselves and I could no longer compare then to anyone else. Worth the price of admission just for the 30 minute closing track about life in the music industry 'The Great Nothing'.

'Day For Night' - Probably more "poppy" than all their others. 'Healing Colors Of Sound' shine on this one.

'The Kindness Of Strangers' - If you like Yes, you might want to give this one a shot. A lot of Beard fans claim this one is their favorite, I would probably rank it near the bottom (which is not a bad thing).

'Beware Of Darkness' - The quintessential(sp?) Beard. 'The Doorway' is one of the most moving songs I've ever heard. This would probably be my recommendation to you for what to start with.

'The Light' - Very raw, but unpolished, but VERY good. The title track has a very "King Crimson" like sound. If you're into a less technical sound, you might want to give this one a shot.

That's their 5 studio albums, and they also have a number of live albums (they seem to come out with a live album after every studio album). I think my favorite live album is 'Don't Try This At Home'.

So basically, if you think you'd be into sort of a King Crimson meets Yes meets Genesis (pre-80's) meets Gentle Giant, then definitely give them a shot. Don't get me wrong, they do have their own sound, but there are obvious influences of these older 70's prog bands (especially in 'The Kindness Of Strangers').

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Andrew, I'm surprised that you think Awake is more "technical" than Images and Words. I'd say it was the other way around. Though Images and Words is a cool listen, I feel Awake is where they learned to put all of their ideas together in a more accessible, logical fashion. In other words, they were songs, not just a bunch of music.

If you don't like Scenes From A Memory, you won't like the new album. I don't mean this as a bad thing at all, but if you don't like what DT does, than you just don't like it. There's no way anyone can "sell it to you." Like what you like. Words can never do justic to music. Unlike some hardcore DT fans, I can very much understand people not liking DT. It's not for everyone. I have no problem with them not being "recognized" by the mainstream. As long as they can perform and release albums, that's good enough for me.

I already have my orchestra seats reserved for their show at the Orpheum in Boston. I have to think about whether I want to take off a day of work to go see them in New York, too.

Kindness of Strangers is my personal favorite of the Spock's Bear albums, with V coming in a close second. I don't like their debut at all, and Day For Night is good, but not as strong as Strangers and V, IMO.

18. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Couldn't find any of their albums at Plan 9. I'll look elsewhere.

19. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Mike, I noticed you didn't mention Beware Of Darkness...have you heard that one? If not, it's a must listen if you're a Beard fan.

Andrew, don't know what Plan 9 is, but I know all of their stuff is available for a reasonable price at Amazon.

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer