What's new

Anyone get sucked into HI-FI by HT (1 Viewer)

Greg Br

Second Unit
I think just as having a awsome amp and a great pair of mains is the ultimate for 2 channel I think a projector and screen is the ultimate for HT.

Realisticaly I love movie, studied them for fun in college, seen about everything, that is until I had a baby girl a year and half ago and it became very difficult to get to the theater, so the next best thing is a home theater.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Last November I was watching a 31" Hitachi, using a Kenwood Pro-Logic only receiver to power some cheap Cerwin-Vega and JBL surround speakers (can you say Circuit City?).

I am now watching a Sony 36" Wega, and am using a Marantz AV550 pre/pro (waiting on Outlaw 950) along with 2 and 3 channel 220 watt Parasound amps to drive everything. My wife also bought me a cheap DVD player, which will get upgraded soon.

I got heavy into DIY when it comes to speakers and built the Audax center and surrounds and the Audax 652's for the mains.

I am currently building the Proac Response 2.5 clones for my music listening only and will be picking up the SCD555ES Sony SACD player soon.

This is addicting.

Miles_W

Second Unit
This thread is great, today I just dropped a tidy bundle on a 12 yr old turntable...
Oracle Delphi, Sme IV tonearm and some cart :D :D
ah Vinyl sounds great!!

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought these things just happened to me. A buddy bought a prologic system and a big screen tv seven years ago. I was fascinated with the whole home theater experience so I went and bought myself a prologic receiver a pair of NHT 1.1's,a pair of junky outdoor speakers for the rear, PS1000 sub and a cheap center channel. It sounded good but I eventually lost interest in it and rarely used it.

Eventually I bought a dvd player.....

Upgradeitis was soon to follow. Picked up a denon 1800 and a pair of Infinity RS5s. Plugged them in and boom what a difference in my home theater. Everything sounded better. I then made the mistake of going to my local high end audio/video store and discovered the world of quality stuff. Brought pack my RS5's and replaced them with B&W 305's and a CC6 center and B&W Rock solids for the rear.

Decided the 305's were not good enough because it was overshadowed by the cc6 and back they went to be replaced by 602's. I was never really satisfied with the cc6 and sure enough I bought the CDMCE. Now I had to buy the CDM7's to match so the 602's went on Ebay. The Denon 1800 was not good enough for the B&W's so i replaced it with a Denon 2801. The 2801 sounded better, but I knew my speakers deserved more so I got the Sherbourn 5/1500a. Now I'm on the waiting list for the 950.

Of course I'm totally unsatisfied with the PS1000(all that remains from the origianl system and way too boomy) and am contemplating a replacement.(SVS 25-31). I'm also contemplating replacing the rears with CDM1's.

Oh by the way, I originally intended this to be 90% HT. Its now used roughly 80% for music.

Peter Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Yes.

Started off with a DVD player on my computer.

Then I wanted surround sound.

Before you knew it I had a seperate HT and 2chan setup!

Greg Br

Second Unit
Well I whent back to the store today to demo the Klipsch RF-7 and the Martin Logan Aeon speakers and I have a real dilema on my hands. The ML's were clearly the superior speaker but at a much higher price than the Klipsch. I could get 2 RF-7's, RC-7 Center, a 2 RS-7 surrounds for $3200 or I could get a pair of the ML's for $2900. This leaves my HT in bad shape but my 2 channel would be killer. The ML were so awsome, I thought Joe Walsh from the eagles was plaing right in front of me. The bass extension was not that great but hey I do have 2 SVS subs that tend to go loud and low:). This is going to be a tough decision as the Klipsch was damn good as well.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rajee, from someone who prefers stereo over multi-channel music, you are crazy. :p)

Miles_W

Second Unit
Keith,
you beat me to it... Rajeek consider yourself crazy!!
Greg,
the logans are marvellous just be careful. I did the same thing back in 95 picked up a pair of demo Sequel II's Just for 2 channel, then I had to add a centre, and surrounds... :D It is a slippery slope. Once you get the Logans in your system they seriously make you consider your front end. ( I ended up changing everything, Receiver to separates..., Tv to DLP ( couldn't have anything in my soundstage :D, and it just keeps getting worse the darn things are revealing... like I said be careful if you start... It may never end!))

DanR

Supporting Actor
Well, there is good news for you guys. Once your tastes surpass what you can afford, upgraditis will stop. I haven't done anything for about 3 years now. I'm happy with what I got. Do I long for more? Of course I do, BUT rather than blow $$ on "small upgrades", I'm enjoying what I have now (~$30,000 worth of equipment) and stocking up in hopes of something far more grand. My nrext upgrade will cost $20,000. Don't know when it will be, could be a few more years. I'd rather wait for a substantial upgrade (with the assocaited substantial price tag) than piss away a few grand every year on the "hottest" DVD player or "best widescreen TV", etc.

So don't worry, you guys will get up on the curve to "unaffordability" shortly. It took me about 6 years, but I got there.

Regards,

Dan

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Greg --

Hey. Before you buy the ML's check out the Thiel 1.6's. They are about $2500 / pair. I was excited when I saw you list Thiel in your original post. I bought the 2.3's last fall and I haven't left the basement since.

Count me in as someone who re-discovered music by way of home theater. I'm very grateful to the HT hobby, but have really shifted to 80/20 music. And folks around here are correct, if you optimize for music, movies still sound great. The other way around is not always the case.

John Royster

Screenwriter
So don't worry, you guys will get up on the curve to "unaffordability" shortly
LOL!
I thought it was called priorities? repo my cars, forclose on my house and take the dog too. But don't you DARE take my stereo. :)
For perspective I've been a quality two channel guy for about 15 years. I kept saying "aw, how cute. people want processing to make VHS tapes sound better. how quaint. Look at all that noise the tuner and DSP are adding, yuck"
Now look at me, eating my words all because of HDTV and DVD/DD/DTS. I guess I was just waiting for the technology to mature - and boy has it!
I just now got into multi channel and HT. Man and I thought my two channel stuff was expensive.
Now with HT, just multiply everything by 7.1. :) PS - I do still run my HT for two channel music with the aid of pre-outs and killer two channel amp and direct mode. I do however long for the simplicity of my CD player, monoblocks and speakers.

Greg, I'm in your shoes and have been doing extensive research in this subject. Except for the fact that I got the itch 2 years ago and am just now am getting to the point to be able to spend the funds on a true HT system, we are in the same boat. I've read countless threads on speakers and these are what I consider my final choices to match my Rotel amp and future Outlaw 950 pre/pro.
-Paradigm Reference Series
-Misc. DIY kits
-Diva Swans
Sorry to add yet another choice to already difficult decisions but I STRONGLY suggest at least doing a bit of research on the Diva Swans if you haven't already. People are saying that they easily equal in sound quality, speakers that cost 2-4 times their price. For the 6.1 mains plus surrounds and center, you are looking at about $2,397 for all at retail. They had a package deal going on not long ago where you could get all 5 speakers for under $1800 if I recall right, don't quote me on this. If you are really interested in quality for the buck, check out this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...iva+swans+best
The origial thread was titled "Diva Swans-Best Speaker for the money EVER?" It looks like they had so many replies that they divided into a second post and then a third one for FAQ. In the above link titled "Unofficial Diva by Swans Thread* A guy tried to combine all of these. Don't bother with the actual replies, click the links in the first original post. Start with link to the review the first post of the "Diva by Swans Part 1" link. Hope this helps.
Robert Derouen

Greg Br

Second Unit
I am strogly considering the Divas, but this is the real situation. In June the HT store will have no intrest no payments till 2004 so that will give me about 18 months to pay it off, kinda scary I know but allows me to upgrade today instead of xmas time. I listened to the Paradigms and I thought they were very good with alot of mid bass compared to most, on the same level as the Klipsch. The ML were even better. The Divas are inexpensive enough for me to get the 6.1'a without finance so that may be an option but I am having a hard time since I have not listened to them to buy over the net, although I am not opposed to that as I have an SVS. The problem with loudspeakers is it is very subjective so listening is the only way to know if you like them, do they have a money back guarentee?

Jeff,

I have read good things about Thiel, I am not sure if there is a dealer here in Phoenix, I need to check on that, although I should be in Lexinton as I am going to the Kentucky Derby this year.

As far as the 2 channel vrs multi channel, I am for both formats, I want as many options as possible, and over the years I am sure I will build my multi channel up as good as possible as that will help my HT as well.

Well, this has been my story as well...

It just took much longer to get around to the music side...

I was happy for about 8 years with a prologic surround sound setup based on kenwood, a vhs player, and some various mediocre speakers including the infamous radio shack minimus 7's as surrounds.

I started into the HT madness in 1999 with a 61" big screen, a set of Klipsch THX cinema speakers, a Technics prologic receiver and separate DD/DTS decoder.

I'm now on my 2nd DVD player (RP-91), and HT receiver (Integra DTR-7)

The two channel bug hit last summer when I scored a set of Klipsch La Scala's for $200.00 used.

At the same time I was able to pick up a NAD 7140 stereo receiver and B&O Beogram CD-X cd player.

I picked up a Denon POA-2800 power amp used this winter. The Denon is 200 W x2 Class AB dual mono design to power my mains, the Integra powers center and surround channels.

I currently use the NAD as pre-amp for 2 channel, and hook the Pre-outs on the Integra into the auxiliary input on the NAD for HT use. I also have the analog output from the Panasonic RP-91 hooked into the NAD so I can choose between the B&O and the Panasonic depending on the disk.

I'm currently considering a new 2 channel pre-amp with a processor bypass for HT, and either SVS or Infinite Baffle subwoofing.

I'll probably get a new cd player after that....

so this never ends...

My favourite parts of my DVD collection are concert videos... The ability to bring the Eagles, Celine Dion, Carlos Santana, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, James Taylor, etc etc.. into the room is amazing...

I'm very fortunate in that my setup can play to concert volumes with no distortion, and relative ease, so now I'm into the fun stuff like using a sound level meter, and pc software to do frequency sweeps, and determine the optimal location for my subwoofer.

I'm starting to appreciate the view of those who say that you can relatively easily optimize components for HT, or for 2 channel, but to get both working well together is a real tough challenge.

I almost have enough components to allow me to split my 2 channel and HT setup.

Then the real fun can begin.

Lyle.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Can't imagine living in a 2 channel world any longer, I suspect that those who are might not want to face what it would cost to voice/timbre match all their amps and speakers to get it right. Love hearing from people that their HT systems have re-kindled a love of music...For me, forget the tv/screen...give me the sound.........I deal with people every day who dont bat an eye at a $13,000 plasma but look shocked at what a good HT/ MUSIC system costs!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Prior to '97, I only knew about stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, and The Good Guys. Based on my browsings at those places, I had decided to put together a Dolby Digital (the latest thing!) JBL/Onkyo HT system for a couple thousand dollars. After all, at that time I thought home theater, receivers, and music coming out of a lot of speakers was cool!

One day, after picking up some groceries, I wandered into a little hi-fi shop next to Trader Joes. I saw a bunch of strange gear from manufacturers that I had never heard of before. "Where are all the lights and buttons? These prices are insane! $3000 for a CD player, and it isn't even a changer! What a rip-off! What idiot would buy this stuff?!" The salesman then sat me down in front of their best system (NHT, McIntosh, and Nordost), and put on a Telarc CD of my choosing. I was blown away! I had never heard sound like this before! I realized that even though I had heard music all my life, I had never really listened to it properly! I heard an orchestra peforming in front of me, and I was hooked!

I then began to frequent other small hi-fi shops in the area, and listened to all sorts of gear. What started out as a $2,000 5.1 Dolby Digital reciever-based HT system ended up as a $20,000 NHT, Classe', and Nordost stereo system six months later.

Since then I've been through three mid-fi 5.1 DD/DTS HT systems, and I don't have any now, but I still have my NHT, Classe', and Nordost system. I've done a couple upgrades (SACD and powercords), but my stereo system is still basically the same and will probably remain so for quite sometime. I added a small RPTV (which, surprisingly, only harmed the sound by about 5%) and DVD player to my stereo system about a year ago and I now enjoy music and movies in stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks