What's new

Anyone get Pikmin yet? (1 Viewer)

ruhrie

Agent
I was just wondering if anyone has gotten or played Pikmin, to see if it was worth picking up. Thanks

Rich

Greg Black

Second Unit
I picked up Pikmin last night at TRU. Seems there is not much interest in this title as there were plenty copies of it, but only one left of Super Smash Bros.

I was kinda leary of buying Pikmin at first, but I decided to take a chance at get it anyway. I sure am glad I did! This game is amazing! It is very enveloping and atmospheric (one of the most important factors in a game, IMHO).

Amazing detail in the audio and visual departments; There are many little subtle details that come together to make a believable, living world. One of the things that is just amazing to look at is the way the shadows from the trees above sway back and forth and filter sunlight. The little ripple effects of the water is also very cool (just don't let your Pikmin get in the water!).

As for the gameplay, it is classic Miyamoto. The man can do no wrong in designing a video game. Well, ok, there was Mario Kart 64, one of the worst games of all time, but I digress. The controls are very simple and effective; you will become a master of the control scheme in no time.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play this game very much, otherwise I would post a much more detailed review.

The bottom line is that I highly recommend this game to virtually anyone, and I consider it a "must-have" title. I spent alot more time playing Super Smash Bros. Melee last night, but I think that I had more fun playing Pikmin! Anyone that has played SSB knows that that is saying alot!

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
Are you on crack? :) I know MarioKart 64 isn't as good as the original, but the multiplayer mode for that game rocked.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Greg;

Thanks for the review! I've heard very good things about this game and I'm eager to play it. Unfortunately, with so much left to do in Rogue Leader (Get all the gold medals), Super Monkey Ball (beat expert mode), and Super Smash Bros. Melee (unlock all the secrets), I suspect that I will have to put this game off for a little while. I'm still going to buy it, just not right away. I think I'll save it for after Christmas.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
This is a very fun game. I've only put about an hour in and have learned not to get my Pikmin wet. I drowned quite a few at one time. So far 2 "dolphin" parts retrieved and many Pikmin perished. :)
(Its 480P with no Widescreen option as far as I can tell)
On the other hand, Pikachu is kickin' my butt in SSB. I think I ought to read the manuals someday.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This was one of the titles I was really looking forward to buying. I've decided to hang onto my Gamecube, despite the fact that the launch library leaves me somewhat cold.

Since Pikmin can be completed in 10-15 hours, I now consider it a title that I am looking forward to renting.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It takes getting used to the controls. It's not one of those games you can just jump into and love like Super Monkey Ball. I can see myself getting throughly addicted to Pikmin, but I'm going to have to get totally used to the controls first. I think I'm going to like it, but it hasn't grabbed me just yet.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I saw the video on the Luigi disc, and it didn't seem to say ANYTHING about the actual game. Could someone please enlighten me as to what the point of the game is? Nothing I've seen even seems to tell you what kind of game it is...

Corey Albers

Agent
just got pikmin and played through days 1 and 2... it is a cool little game. i can see how some people would want to to rent it though. i might only want to play through this twice before putting it on the shelf.

BTW, Mario Kart 64 is one the best multiplayer college games ever!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Could someone please enlighten me as to what the point of the game is? Nothing I've seen even seems to tell you what kind of game it is...

You've got this alien whose spaceship crashlanded on a "strange planet" that looks like earth.

Well his ship is busted and he needs to find 40 parts that were scattered on the planet by day 30 or he'll die from the "Poisonous Oxygen." You have these Onion-like strutctures that you feed tokens. Tokens must be carried by Pikmin to the site and will yield the same number of new Pikmin as those required to lug the token. There are creatures that like to eat your Pikmin army. (You attack by hurling the little guys at them.)

That's all I've learned so far.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Pikmin is just amazing. I wanted it and knew it would be an incredible game because Miyamoto created it... but it has exceeded my expectations. The game is addicting and completely immersive. I was trepidatious about the control structure at the outset, but I've come to love it.

One other thing I'm thrilled with is that Miyamoto is indicating that a sequel can be available within about 6 months. Bring it on!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I heard about Pikmin 2 being in development already...

The one thing I heard is that you can beat the game without getting all the parts of the ship, but if you want to keep going, you get a better ending if you get all the parts.

One thing I would like to see is if there were hundreds of puzzles so the gameplay stayed fresh for a long time. Then again, thats a lot of puzzles...maybe update discs or quick releases of cheaply priced sequels?

ruhrie

Agent
Hey guys thanks for the input. I am still debating on this game and I am not sure if I will buy or rent. There is only one problem with games that are short, it makes you want more and more. That is the way I felt after buying and beating Luigi's Mansion in 7 straight hours. I have not played a game for that long in one setting for many many years. I loved that game. I am just not sure I want to fork over 50 bucks for another game to beat in a 12 hours. I guess I am just trying to rationalize spending the extra 46 bucks to own it instead of renting. Anyways, once again thanks for the input on what looks like to be maybe a start of another classic series for Nintendo.

Rich

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I've been playing this game, and it's great. It's a solid RTS game, but with other elements intertwined in as well. It's unfortunate that it's not getting much attention in the shadow of SSBM.
Regarding the shortness of the game, there is a challenge mode that opens up after you finish the main game that supposed to increase the replayability considerably. I haven't gotten that far yet, so I don't know how good that is.
The most interesting thing about this game that I've discovered is that mastering camera control is key. Most games I just find a camera setting that I'm comfortable with and let it go from there, only adjusting the camera occasionally to see around corners or whatnot. Not with Pikmin...I find myself controlling the camera as much as I control my little man. My advice to new players is that on day one (where there is no time limit so that you can learn game mechanics) you learn to smoothly control the camera at the same time you are learning how to control your man and issue orders to the Pikmin.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Rich (ruhrie ?),

I have a $5 off Pikmin coupon from Nintendo if that helps you with your decision. If so, send me an email & I'll mail 'er to you.

-Dan B.

P.S. Don't play videogames for 7 hours straight!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I heard that Pikmin first time through is around 15 hours. Thats more than I got from MGS2 first time through.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Well, I opened up challenge mode, and here's how it works:

Each area that you've unlocked in the normal game has it's own high score table. You play a day in the area of your choice, and try to grow as many Pikmin as possible. Certainly looks fun, and is a bit different from the normal game where growing Pikmin tends to take a back seat to picking up spaceship parts (you need to average at least one part a day if you want to stay on track).

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping to get Pikmin and SSB:Melee for xmas presents. If not, I'll buy them after xmas.

I've been waiting for Pikmin ever since I first saw it. It just seemed like such a cool game.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Anyone know if this game is as short as they say it is? How long is it playing for some of you guys? Still debating whether to pick this up or not.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
How long is a 'day'? I've been wondering that...

And how are the puzzles? Are they fun, neat, quirky, etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks