Anyone found or built the Ultimate DVD Rack/Shelf/Cabinent?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Spero D, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Spero D

Spero D Second Unit

I have over 400 DVDs and a large boxsets (i.e. the ones that come with lobby cards etc) I am still hunting for the Ultimate solution for housing and displaying my DVDs. I am looking for a book shelf type configurations that would house my collections and have room for many more DVDs. Also for a lot of room at the top of the unit or adjustable shelves to fit those large boxsets into. Has anyone come across the Ultimate DVD Display Rack/Shelf/Cabinent?
    Thanks everyone in advance,
    Spero D.
    (I didn't know which forum to put this into so moderators feel free to move if you so wish)

2. BobN

BobN Auditioning

Spero, a couple of years ago I was looking for a rack for my cd's. All of the ones I found were either cheaply made or too expensive. I ended up building my own. Our decor in the room was golden oak so this was relatively easy to match. I made a bookshelf with the dimensions of 6'h x 26"w x 7 1/4"d. The shelves were 5 1/2"d the top is 9 1/4"d and the bottom is 11 1/4"d. This is a free standing unit with fixed shelves. Solid wood all the way around with a back panel made of 1/4" oak plywood. total cost of material from a local home depot/ loews was approx $140.00. Total construction time including finishing approx 6hrs over two days. Bottom line I have a functional piece of furniture that I made myself with simple carpentry tools. This rack holds about 650 cd's.

3. Calvin Liew

Calvin Liew Auditioning

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm using a Boltz rack right now to hold my 500+ DVDs.... =) Takes up an entire wall!

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I've been on the hunt for a couple of weeks for the right component rack. In my travels, I found a great oak book shelf at a local furniture shop. It's perfect for DVDs, and I picked it up as their floor display for just under $200. Works great and has adjustable shelving.
    Boltz is also a good place to look, I'm just not into the metal look.
    Jeremy